Indo-Russian Hypersonic BrahMos Prototype By 2024

harsh

Country flag
A prototype of the BrahMos hypersonic missile is expected to be manufactured in 2024, Marketing Director of the Russian-Indian BrahMos Aerospace Company Praveen Pathak was quoted as saying by TASS on Thursday.

"This will be another missile with a speed of about 6 Mach," Pathak said at the KADEX 2016 arms exhibition in Astana in Kazakhstan.

According to Pathak, the speed of the existing BrahMos supersonic missile is planned to be increased to 4 Mach within the coming three-four years.

As Pathak said, a preliminary design of the missile is currently being worked out. Russia and India are simultaneously considering various designs of the future missile.

“This stage will take "at least five-six years." R&D work is expected to start approximately in 2022 and the first prototype of the missile is planned to be manufactured two years later, he said.

Pathak said that the future missile was expected to have the same weight and size as the existing BrahMos missile so that it can be used with the same platforms and launchers.

"Developers cannot tell the project’s total cost yet. This will be known when the preliminary design is worked out and a decision on the missile’s configuration is made," the marketing director said.

According to him, the missile’s price will be mostly determined by the materials that will be used for its production. The company said earlier that the hypersonic version of the BrahMos missile could be developed within five-ten years and its speed would exceed 7 Mach.

http://www.defenseworld.net/news/16...rsonic_BrahMos_Prototype_By_2024#.V1FjiVOfc8x

Defcon 1

Country flag
So with the test launch of HSDTV, is this the death of the so called Brahmos 2? India already has its own guidance system, and now developing its own Scramjet based hypersonic propulsion systems. What is the incentive to invest in Brahmos 2 now?

IndianHawk

Country flag
So with the test launch of HSDTV, is this the death of the so called Brahmos 2? India already has its own guidance system, and now developing its own Scramjet based hypersonic propulsion systems. What is the incentive to invest in Brahmos 2 now?
I thought it was already part of joint program? Or is our hsdtv program completely separate from russian?

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

Defcon 1

Country flag
I thought it was already part of joint program? Or is our hsdtv program completely separate from russian?

No ours is a separate technology demonstration project run by DRDO. It has been around for over a decade. Brahmos 2 is being spearheaded by Brahmos aerospace.

IndianHawk

Country flag
No ours is a separate technology demonstration project run by DRDO. It has been around for over a decade. Brahmos 2 is being spearheaded by Brahmos aerospace.
Ok then. In that case bramhos 2 may only make sense if it becomes operationally ready much before our own weapon based on hypersonics.

Because our own weapon will have no range restrictions , it might have 1000-2000km range.

But I guess Russian are farther ahead on road to operationalize while for us it will take many tests and design phase.

In any case this is pathbraking. It will force Russian to step up they will bramhos 2 unless they deliver it faster. Bramhos 2 previous timeline was 2026-28 now it has to be moved up to 2024 or forget about it!

Shekhar Singh

Country flag
Yes, that day is finally here. @DRDO_India tested the Hypersonic technology demonstrator vehicle (HSTDV) for the first time today.

Shekhar Singh

Country flag
Mounted on an Agni series #missile, the hyper-sonic technology demonstrator vehicle launched from a defence test facility off #Odisha coast. Data generated during the mission are being analysed. Defence Minister @rajnathsingh witnesses test. @NewIndianXpress. #India #MissionHTDV

jimmyhunt01

Russia and India will start research and development works on the hypersonic version of BrahMos missile approximately in 2022.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles