INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Kay

Country flag
Why more carriers? How are you going to use the carriers in potential wars?
We should plug our gaps before trying to convert to a blue water Navy.
In the last war, we hid our carrier. In any conflict, most of our naval effort will go in trying to save the carriers than actual fighting, which our adversaries are surely going to target.
We need more submarines - both nuclear and conventional and nuclear for attack, ballistic missile launching, anti- submatine role , shallow water operations and deep sea cable tapping.
We need mine layers and minesweepers, fast attack missile and torpedo boats and littoral combat ships.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
Our priorities don`t have to be same as theirs ..
Theirs? Who?
We have a long coastline .... We have a lot of interest in the seas....
What do you think?
How many Aircraft Carriers India needs?
How many Nuclear?
This is what I think.. I m repeating sorry.

We need 4 A/C carriers .... 3 conventional 1 nuclear.
Refit repair counted.
This will also include few other vessels and Subs....

Pulkit

Country flag
Sea trials does not mean construction per say is over. Often times problems are found which are later rectified or the engineers decide to change something on the vessel based on what they found during the trials.
To give an example the Arihant was being worked on almost till the day of induction.
You are right and wrong at the same time.
Once the construction is complete then only sea trials start.
During sea trial faults and issues are detected which are dealt in next upgrade or repair.
Normally some weapons are not installed to have that upgrade a little early....

Kay

Country flag
Can you plz elaborate and explain.....
PNS Ghazi was sent to take down INS Vikrant. Through a clever ruse, we hid Vikrant in Andaman while fed wrong Intel to Pak that it was in Visakhapatnam.
In future, Pakistan' s Qing..class Submarines will threaten our aircraft carriers.
Even US aircraft carriers are vulnerable to modern conventional Submarines (there was the Gotland class Submarine incident). A lucky sub can take down an aircraft carrier, which is like putting a lot of eggs in one basket.

Pulkit

Country flag
PNS Ghazi was sent to take down INS Vikrant. Through a clever ruse, we hid Vikrant in Andaman while fed wrong Intel to Pak that it was in Visakhapatnam.
In future, Pakistan' s Qing..class Submarines will threaten our aircraft carriers.
Even US aircraft carriers are vulnerable to modern conventional Submarines (there was the Gotland class Submarine incident). A lucky sub can take down an aircraft carrier, which is like putting a lot of eggs in one basket.
That's true ....
But that is because it was under repair when the war broke off....
The vessels then we're not good to tackle all threats....
When you have the info that ur enemy is suicidal and coming after ur greatest asset the best thing is to save it.
Times have changed everything has improved from submarine killers radars to other preventive things....
A aircrafts carrier can carry large number of aircrafts for starters let alone the missiles and other weapons...
They multiply the force many folds.... There is risk in everything .
The last aircraft carrier was sunk in 1940s Japanese post that not even one has sunk during war.
Aircraft Carrier with there entire fleet in place are impenetrable.
We need to add them as many times our land bases gets destroyed so we will still have a airstrip in sea to do our task.
I suggested 4 (3+1) because at the time of war I believe we will need atleast 2 active.
Always remember we have a huge coastline to defend....

Reactions: Kay

TheHurtLocker

Country flag
I remember reading that the Vikrant had boiler issues during the months preceding the outbreak of the war and had to be "diverted" to Port Blair(?) and it was a coincidence that the Pakistanis failed to account this information.
And it was some solid "D" played by the Old Rajput that helped the Momeenul Fishes on the Ghazi to sleep in the Bay of Bengal.

Reactions: Kay

Kay

Country flag
@Pulkit
The problem is adding a single carrier means adding 10-15 ships for the task force including Submarines and capital ships...all of which are extremely expensive and can cut into the budget - money that can be used to build up other more urgent capabilities. Carriers are necessary for power projection at distant lands. Our enemies are next door.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Give a look few pages back, Its not very hard ..

Certain topics are already discussed ..

Theirs? Who?
We have a long coastline .... We have a lot of interest in the seas....
What do you think?
How many Aircraft Carriers India needs?
How many Nuclear?
This is what I think.. I m repeating sorry.

We need 4 A/C carriers .... 3 conventional 1 nuclear.
Refit repair counted.
This will also include few other vessels and Subs....

scatterStorm

Country flag

Some very interesting insights ... as I thought and already discussed that it's possible that our IAC-2 will be a CATOBAR after all without a nuclear reactor core.

I also liked the fact, that they told that before freezing the designs we must decided on jets onboard first.

Indeed very interesting!

abingdonboy

Country flag
This looks still a far far away from going for sea trails ...This remaining 20 % will be the crucial fixtures which i am sure going to drag for next 2 years ...Lets hope it gets sooner into the water for trails
sorry for posting before introducing myself ...
i think its take atleast 4 year before going to trail ......speed of contruction is just pathetic
She'll be ready by the end of Dec 2018 for sea trails, IN is confident of that.

Global Defence

Articles