INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

Maverick007

We are actually planning to have 3 more ACs 2 Vikrant class, one Baku class and one will be in the 60k tonnage for which the design has started. :sporty55::sporty55:
Hey, I never knew of this, I thought we going to have only 2 Vikrant class AC and the Vikramaditya, Is the 60k tonne carrier a reality? If so, it would be nice to have a CVF style carrier for true power projection but we should then consequently build up our support surface fleet of Destroyers, Frigates and supply ships for a proper support. Th big AC might take some time to come so don't you think it should be nuclear powered if it might come post 2020

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Hey, I never knew of this, I thought we going to have only 2 Vikrant class AC and the Vikramaditya............Is the 60k tonne carrier a reality? If so, it would be nice to have a CVF style carrier for true power projection but we should then consequently build up our support surface fleet of Destroyers, Frigates and supply ships for a proper support.........Th big AC might take some time to come so don't you think it should be nuclear powered if it might come post 2020
There are plans to induct around64 ships by the year of 2022,of which 32 are already in the docks and construction is going on. The combatant ships numbers are also in the increase.

Yes there are plans for making the 60k tonne carrier nuclear,hope they dont do the same mistake like the French(using a reactor meant for a sub). But hey it isstill inthe design phase so we wont know yet.

icecoolben

Pls post a link to the planned 60k ton carrier of the indian navy.

is it the second ship of the vikrant class with just increased tonnage ,and the number of power plants increased or with a new derivative power plant, or a brand new class that would be newly designed by the directorate of naval design with a new type of propulsion.

In total numbers, how many carriers will our navy field and could anyone familiar with the topic give an account of each one pls.

Personally i'm against nuclear carriers until navy crosses the threshold of 80,000 tons.

Zero

We are actually planning to have 3 more ACs 2 Vikrant class, one Baku class and one will be in the 60k tonnage for which the design has started. :sporty55::sporty55:
What Baku Class. I did not know where getting into anime. I remember Baku is from gundam :twizt: What does baku mean?

bhramos

Country flag
'Vikramaditya's Combat Management System

The 'Lesorub-E' CMS is installed on the Indian 'Vikramaditya' carrier (former 'Admiral Gorshkov'), now refurbished in 'Sevmash'. It's the export variant of 'Lesorub' CMS for the Russian prospective carrier project. According to the developer, NPO 'Mars', the system is designed for combat control of a ship and a task force on basis of the weapon integration into one complex and for the automation of decision making concerning force and armament engagement.

Tech characteristics and technologies:

1) X-band wireless radio channel 0.95 Mbit/s;
2) Intel processors' based disposed computing system;
3) Local net - Ethernet 10/100/1000, RS-485;
4) Weapon integration standards Ethernet, MIL STD-1553B, RS-232, RS-422, RS-485;
5) Fusing of 4 information channels (radar, TV, map, targets) on each terminal;
6) Recording of all system information in real time.

Defunct Humanity: 'Vikramaditya's Combat Management System

bhramos

Country flag
What Baku Class. I did not know where getting into anime. I remember Baku is from gundam :twizt: What does baku mean?
Baku Class AC is none other then INS Vikramaditya

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
zero baku is a city in Azerbaijan

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Pls post a link to the planned 60k ton carrier of the indian navy.

is it the second ship of the vikrant class with just increased tonnage ,and the number of power plants increased or with a new derivative power plant, or a brand new class that would be newly designed by the directorate of naval design with a new type of propulsion.

In total numbers, how many carriers will our navy field and could anyone familiar with the topic give an account of each one pls.

Personally i'm against nuclear carriers until navy crosses the threshold of 80,000 tons.
..:: India Strategic ::.. Indian Navy's Aircraft Carriers

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
hey don't mention it mate

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Indian Aircraft Carrier Back in Service in a Month
By VIVEK RAGHUVANSHI
Published: 17 Aug 2009 14:17 PRINT | EMAIL
NEW DELHI - India's only aircraft carrier, INS Viraat, which has been in dry dock for a year, will be back in service in a month after a refit allowing the carrier to function until 2015, said a senior Indian Navy official.

The Navy wanted the Viraat back in service as quickly as possible because of continued delays in delivery of the Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Gorshkov. Despite a planned 2008 delivery date, India and Russia remain stalemated over cost.

The Indian Navy official said the service hopes to have the Gorshkov and the homemade Air Defense Ship on line by 2015, when the Viraat will be nearing the end of its service life.

The Viraat was fitted at state-owned Cochin Shipyard with new fire control equipment, navigation radars, improved nuclear, biological and chemical protection, and deck landing aids. The ship's Russian-made Kashtan air defense system was sent to Russia for repair.

The aircraft carrier also has been fitted with the Israeli Barak air defense system and the anti-ship cruise missile BrahMos.

The Navy's long-term plans include a blue water force with six aircraft carriers and improvements in littoral warfare capabilities.

INS Viraat originally was commissioned in the British Royal Navy as HMS Hermes in 1959; India bought the vessel in 1986. The aircraft carrier earlier underwent a refit in 1999-2001.
Well 6 AC is mammoth and I think it aint happening. Maximum will be 4...Three at sea and one at the refit.

icecoolben

Aircraft carriers have always known to eat into surface and under water fleets. So its best v stay a sleek force of 3 carriers for the time being.

bsn4u1985

no i think to make India as a global power India should have at least 6 AC,2 for regional and 2 for global and 2 for refit. I think its an great idea to have 6AC. I hope it will be true soon.

Emperor

I am not sure If I did have posted any time before on this thread.
But,IN has finalized its mid-long term requirement need for 5 AC`s .And a serious debate is going on if atleast 2 of them has to be made nuke powered or not.
give the recent achievement of BARC in providing a compact and high efficient reactor for ATV,it is chest beating that It can upsize and modify the reactor if needed to be used in an AC.Long time back I put a few words on BRF as per what I came to know that BARC is also designing a compact AHWR for naval use.

Since MOD and IN showed interest in having large carriers ,the 2 or 3rd indigenous one most likely be one the lines of either CVF or Nimitz.
According to the sources which I had,I was told that before a reactor was to be fitted on a large carrier,It will be tested on else where. Which clearly hints me that the second IAC might see a propulsion change while the 3rd IAC will be large and go nuclear.

And the above points summarizes that there will be atleast 5 carriers in the near future of which 2 will be nuke ones capable of carrying AWACS and large compliment of fighters.
Hence we will be have 3 medium sized ones for defensive offence purpose while remaining will take care of strike roles far away from the mainland.

One has to look at the carrier needs of Russia at the same time which also proposed of having a whole flotilla.There could be some design consultancy or co-developments when large carriers are considered.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I am not sure If I did have posted any time before on this thread.
But,IN has finalized its mid-long term requirement need for 5 AC`s .And a serious debate is going on if atleast 2 of them has to be made nuke powered or not.
give the recent achievement of BARC in providing a compact and high efficient reactor for ATV,it is chest beating that It can upsize and modify the reactor if needed to be used in an AC.Long time back I put a few words on BRF as per what I came to know that BARC is also designing a compact AHWR for naval use.

Since MOD and IN showed interest in having large carriers ,the 2 or 3rd indigenous one most likely be one the lines of either CVF or Nimitz.
According to the sources which I had,I was told that before a reactor was to be fitted on a large carrier,It will be tested on else where. Which clearly hints me that the second IAC might see a propulsion change while the 3rd IAC will be large and go nuclear.

And the above points summarizes that there will be atleast 5 carriers in the near future of which 2 will be nuke ones capable of carrying AWACS and large compliment of fighters.
Hence we will be have 3 medium sized ones for defensive offence purpose while remaining will take care of strike roles far away from the mainland.

One has to look at the carrier needs of Russia at the same time which also proposed of having a whole flotilla.There could be some design consultancy or co-developments when large carriers are considered.
Isn't India already getting some design consultancy from Fincianteri?Also i have read about the IN being interested in EMALS ,do you have any news whether the larger carriers will use EMALS?

Emperor

Yes, the italian firm is only providing consultancy for the current carriers and ofcourse only for conventional ones.
Though the decision getting Russian help with the large carriers is still in the early stages,IN may go ahead with joint design proposal.Since almost all strategic programs has a russian hand.
EMALS is still on the test bench.IN showed its interest in having EMALS on its futuristic carriers which were to be built.EMALS,E-2D and co are gaining weight only because of the change in perceptions of IN .Recently there was a news about the russian naval design institute testing of a system similar to EMALS.
IN only keeps its options wide open.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles