INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

binayak95

Country flag
Vikrant was scrapped long ago
Bajaj even launches V15 bike with recycled steel from the warship.
The film ABCD 2 showed the dismantling of vikrant too.

Currently govts at Goa, AP, Maharashtra were looking forward to convert it to museum ship. However I don't think they have money or seriousness. She will go just like Vikrant. But she's in better condition than Vikrant which was a bit difficult to move around after so many years.
No, the VIraat will NOT be scrapped. The IN is adamant about it. The worst-case scenario in the IN's mind is that she will be sunk off Port Blair as a diving site. That way, she'll remain remembered and not be forsaken like the Vikrant was.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
No, the VIraat will NOT be scrapped. The IN is adamant about it. The worst-case scenario in the IN's mind is that she will be sunk off Port Blair as a diving site. That way, she'll remain remembered and not be forsaken like the Vikrant was.
This idea will fire up COMMODORE uncle,when i asked him about the fate of viraat,He said he would never want that ship as a restaurant or as an underwater adventure park.

That ship has served us well,Navy should maintain it as a museum ship.

==================================================================

Alfalfa

Country flag
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here... Iv been a visitor to DFI for a few years now, but haven't posted till date simply because I have nothing to add or contribute to the immense wealth of knowledge that exists here. However, since the subject of Viraat has cropped up I thought it my duty to clear some misunderstandings here. I am a lead consultant to the ministry of tourism for a large south Indian state (no prizes for guessing which one) and am personally overseeing the entire project to convert INS Viraat into a Maritime Museum, Hotel and convention centre. The project is receiving technical inputs from very senior retired naval officers including a Rear Admiral and a Commodore and a DPR is currently being prepared for the MoD by dedicated consultants after receiving technical inputs from the aforementioned officers and myself. The CM and senior IAS officers of the state are aware of the project and this south Indian state is the only contender for INS Viraat. Goa submitted a 2 pager to the MoD, CNS and MH hasnt even put in a concept note so it is either us or nobody!
I am the son of a naval officer and one my uncles was CO INAS 552 - The Braves, so rest assured it is a personal issue for me to save the ship and I will do my absolute best. However, the project, the money and its financial viability etc are all complicated and touchy issues. Only time will tell if we are able to pull it off.
Thank y'all
Jai Hind

G10

Country flag
Going by the progress, I dont think this ship is gonna sail in another decade.

rone

Country flag
Going by the progress, I dont think this ship is gonna sail in another decade.
I have different opinions abt it becoz in Indian armed forces we adopt the same criteria adopted by uk or western nations in a weapon accepting and selection procedure .Unlike china and russia the follow ussr ideology focus on number's, in indian navy view the system must be much mature and reliable to be in service look at all ships and weapon used by navy they either must gone through tough evaluations or larger sea trails ,also in our case vikranth must under go same procedure, where all systems installed on ship must be highly matured and reliable, for ur knowledge the jobs left i think is deck and runway preparation and weapon installation.. which may happening in any time

captscooby81

Country flag
I use Terra server it has zoom in and zoom out features you need to use a mouse for that don t really work in the laptop trackpad ...But the images quality is not that great all the pics i post are from terra server ..

Zoom earth is bae :) except for its outdated images.
Terra sever is sort of useless. No zoom in zoom out. Difficult to navigate.

rone

Country flag
Zoom earth,.................................plus that image is not recent its 2016 image
sry bro its not zoom earth, it was was the out zoom version .. check the footer section u can see difference ..zoom ma dont have 30cm zoom with high clarity

darshan978

Darth Vader
Country flag
sry bro its not zoom earth, it was was the out zoom version .. check the footer section u can see difference ..zoom ma dont have 30cm zoom with high clarity
right.............................

jat

I have different opinions abt it becoz in Indian armed forces we adopt the same criteria adopted by uk or western nations in a weapon accepting and selection procedure .Unlike china and russia the follow ussr ideology focus on number's, in indian navy view the system must be much mature and reliable to be in service look at all ships and weapon used by navy they either must gone through tough evaluations or larger sea trails ,also in our case vikranth must under go same procedure, where all systems installed on ship must be highly matured and reliable, for ur knowledge the jobs left i think is deck and runway preparation and weapon installation.. which may happening in any time
I think this is related to need and funding. When and if the MOD is pressured to beef up security, they will get the job done faster. Otherwise a slow sustainable effort is all you need.
Remember the Americans, and Russians closing down all those unsustainable production lines. They intended to fight a cold war before, now they don't need to allocate the massive defense budgets as before. Its good, India has not fallen into the military industrial complex trap. But its far from it too.
There is never a need to build guns before cakes unless you know your neighbor has set a date to rape your cake.

aditya g

Country flag
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here... Iv been a visitor to DFI for a few years now, but haven't posted till date simply because I have nothing to add or contribute to the immense wealth of knowledge that exists here. However, since the subject of Viraat has cropped up I thought it my duty to clear some misunderstandings here. I am a lead consultant to the ministry of tourism for a large south Indian state (no prizes for guessing which one) and am personally overseeing the entire project to convert INS Viraat into a Maritime Museum, Hotel and convention centre. The project is receiving technical inputs from very senior retired naval officers including a Rear Admiral and a Commodore and a DPR is currently being prepared for the MoD by dedicated consultants after receiving technical inputs from the aforementioned officers and myself. The CM and senior IAS officers of the state are aware of the project and this south Indian state is the only contender for INS Viraat. Goa submitted a 2 pager to the MoD, CNS and MH hasnt even put in a concept note so it is either us or nobody!
I am the son of a naval officer and one my uncles was CO INAS 552 - The Braves, so rest assured it is a personal issue for me to save the ship and I will do my absolute best. However, the project, the money and its financial viability etc are all complicated and touchy issues. Only time will tell if we are able to pull it off.
Thank y'all
Jai Hind
Saving the ship - in any form - is better than it being scrapped.

Just curious, isn't a one time beaching a viable exercise? All you need to do is to charge a ticket and paint it once in say 5 years. Surely less work than keeping it floating forever?

Alfalfa

Country flag
Saving the ship - in any form - is better than it being scrapped.

Just curious, isn't a one time beaching a viable exercise? All you need to do is to charge a ticket and paint it once in say 5 years. Surely less work than keeping it floating forever?
Good question! Grounding/ beaching and grouting ( Fixing it on a concrete base) were a couple of options explored as well... Beaching is easier said than done for a 25,000 ton vessel.. For Kursura which weighs, what 2000 tons we struggled enormously! Plus she has a draft of 7m+ below so we will need to dredge a channel so that she goes in and then pump sand in to fill her sides, holding her erect till it all fills up. The sand would have salt water in it all the time corroding the steel. Beaching is almost always accidental, very difficult to control a beaching. Plus winching it in all the way would be an enormous task. Grouting is still feasible but the ship buckles and twists and loses structural integrity so the MoD has vetoed it.

Lastly, aesthetics, when you do something like this you want it to be nice and pretty, Ships are always prettier in the water :)

AnantS

Country flag
^ Saw it last year from a distance- few months back- while passing through cochin from a near by bridge, but was not sure if pictures should be clicked- so did not click. The state seems to be same. The overall pace of construction seems to be slow. Radar and other e-comm equipment does not seem to have been installed on bridge yet.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles