India's poor sanitation threatens humanity

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by CrYsIs, Dec 5, 2014.

1. CrYsIs

CrYsIs Regular Member

Superbugs killing India’s babies may pose global threat

Superbugs killing India’s babies may pose global threat | TODAYonline

3. CrYsIs

CrYsIs Regular Member

Very scaring prospects indeed.

Infact having worked on this issue i can say that many in rural and even urban areas have no understanding of basic hygiene.They trust their blind beliefs more than science.

A human excreta contains trillions of very harmful bacteria,if it comes into contact with human mouth can causes varying forms of diseases.In childen it stunts their growth and leads to malnutrition among infants.India's extraordinarily high malnutrition number is blamed on poor sanitation.

A malnutrition at infancy can cause permanent retardation.The person won't be able to develop the requisite IQ to function as a normal human being or complete his/her education and find a job.

And India has nearly half it's children suffering from it...this is a very apocalyptic situation

Heceforth building toilets is not enough, the government must make a law to fine/punish/penalize those who defecate in the open.Also the drug industry must be heavily regulated and the overuse of antibiotics must be curtailed.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  4. jus

jus Senior Member Senior Member

Check stats before speaking

Malnutrition in India declined to 30% from 44 in 2006

'Child stunting drops sharply in India' - The Hindu

Srinivas_K and SGRU like this.
  5. SGRU

SGRU Regular Member

wow thats 14%, thats allot

6. CrYsIs

CrYsIs Regular Member

As the article says,these figures are yet to be released officially,therefore you can forgive me for not quoting the latest figures.

Anyways 30% figure is no cause for celebration.It's still too high.

7. jus

A new provisional data from a survey conducted by the government and UNICEF shows

The proportion of underweight children in India might have declined from 45.1 per cent in 2005-6 to a historic low of 30.7 per cent last year, new provisional data from a survey conducted by the government and UNICEF shows.

‘Malnourishment declined sharply among children in India’ - The Hindu

Oops that is west'n org data not India i hope u don't have problem with it,WTF celebration are u nuts i hope not even one kid malnourished in any where in the world.Anyway don't bring data from ur back,God gave Google use it :D

8. jus

Yup,just imagine the rate of decline (2% points 'yr) in most pathetic govt in the history of India.So in present scenario we hope min 3% decline/yr.Aka 2020 below 10%.

9. jouni

jouni Senior Member Senior Member

I do not understand your problems. It is one of the worlds easiest things to build a toilet. Sometimes I really do not understand what is wrong with you? Here is free and cheap toilet principle.

[​IMG]

10. Srinivas_K

Srinivas_K Senior Member Senior Member

Most of India is a rural India i.e 70% , where people prefer open air toilets in their own fields.

As India is getting urbanized, toilets are being built.

11. CrYsIs

CrYsIs Regular Member

As i said most of the people living in rural parts have no understanding of importance of having a toilet.They have a weird belief that defecating in open is a healthy thing to do.

The rural folks and even many sitting in the corridors of power do not understand that preventing open defeating should be the number 1 priority,even more so than feeding the people and spending on military .If not curbed immediately,India's future is doomed.

12. jouni

That is meant for the rural use, not urban.

[​IMG]

13. Srinivas_K

Srinivas_K Senior Member Senior Member

Yes things are now changing at faster pace in rural India also !!

14. jouni

You really are strange folk. No matter how hard I try to think I come to conclusion, that basic hygiene is not rocket science, it should be available to everybody.

15. jus

What do u mean ur problem,u mean Eng speaking,Sys+internet guys going out to defecate.The problem exists we recognized it we will eradicate it.And thank u for ur images,we never saw toilets.And we didn't know it they exists. Thank u for ur xian white men's burden

p.s:May be toilets are using from last 200 yrs,before that almost 2million yrs (u&our) all humans are nature lovers

16. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

Let me tell you a true story, in West Bengal Central government in collaboration with few central universities and organizations constructed thousands of Houses for thousands of families in backward regions of West Bengal. But surprisingly several families refused to take possession of the houses after they found that the the houses had toilets and hence unclean. How do I know? The institution I was associated with at that time was actively involved in the project. The project included safe drinking water and septic toilets for every household, but it failed to take off and most of the house could not attract any occupant.

India is an enigma even for the Indians, being a foreigner you must patiently go through the discussions before making a comment.

pmaitra, jouni and ezsasa like this.
  17. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

issue is with numbers not with intent, say 400 million openly defecate. Lets take one toilet for be every 4 people we will need 100 million toilets that is 20 times population of Finland. Lets say each toilet costs 500 USD to build so 100 million will cost 50 billion dollars if government wants to build it. 50 billion is a lot for any country,don't you think?

Voldemort likes this.
  18. CrYsIs

CrYsIs Regular Member

You basically can't do without name calling, isn't it ?:lol:

I said earlier on,when talking of India,this percentage figure is of no use because 1% of Bhutan is not same as 1% in India.In former it's 6,000 in later it's 12 million.

Even if 1% of Indians were malnourished,thats still a huge figure.

I empirically don't know about what percentage of Indians are Juvenile...but it could be around 400 million and 30% means 120 million malnourished children. Thats a gigantic figure....

19. jus

he he he poor people in USA are much much more than Bhutan,so as per ur numbers US is filthy poor country Bhutan is Super power :D.India is huge huge country.So any sane mind take figures as % wise.

20. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

Drug resistance is posing grievous threat to every country. They already have their own share; before it is blamed to India or Indians.

Situation in India may be worst because we are not using set International protocols to handle people with or suspected super bug infections and monitoring the same.

Yes it is very disturbing and I am afraid we may have lost the battle already in our hospital.

Only best thing to do is high standards of Hygiene, that is preventive. Because the super bug infection is more nasocomial than environmental. One must avoid Hospitals, I mean stay healthy.

One more thing.......to stay healthy we may have been doing all the right things including good sanitation facilities but we are quite helpless on adulteration of our food.

Energon and CrYsIs like this.
  21. CrYsIs

CrYsIs Regular Member

:namaste:

Definition of poverty varies from country to country.In the US anyone earning less than 30,000 rupees a month is a poor person.In India he would be an upper middle class guy.

America has 16% of it's population living on less than 1000 rupees a day and India has 60% of it's population living on less than 40 Rupees.

And before you jump the gun again , 40 rupees is the PPP equivalent to 2$.Poverty is calculated in Purchasing power figures and not $ figure of 1$=62 rupees.