India's next big buy is a missile from US

Vladimir79

Professional
Too bad India couldn't wait for Hermes-A. It will be far superior to any option.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Too bad India couldn't wait for Hermes-A. It will be far superior to any option.
I don't think its possible for a missile with 15km + range to be man-portable.

BTW guys, the Javelin uses top-attack mode with terminal pop-up maneuver, which makes it the only man-portable anti-tank missile to be able to do so.

Vladimir79

Professional
I don't think its possible for a missile with 15km + range to be man-portable.
The article said it was going to interfere with Nag development. This is consistant with the Javeline installation on M2 Bradleys. Hermes will decimate any missile in this class.

BTW guys, the Javelin uses top-attack mode with terminal pop-up maneuver, which makes it the only man-portable anti-tank missile to be able to do so.
I don't think the Javelin model India is getting is man-portable based on the article. Hermes is top-attack fire-forget as well with much greater range.

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
The article said it was going to interfere with Nag development. This is consistant with the Javeline installation on M2 Bradleys. Hermes will decimate any missile in this class.
I don't think India will buy Bradleys, or that the Javelins can be integrated with BMPs/BTRs. So India is most likely interested in the portable version only. The reference to the Nag may be misguided.

I don't think the Javelin model India is getting is man-portable based on the article. Hermes is top-attack fire-forget as well with much greater range.
I think Hermes would be a quite formidable missile. The range itself makes it far superior to anything out there as of now. (Its range is double of Hellfire AFAIK) Are all trials completed for it? I could not find too much information on the internet about it. Is it operational with the Russian Army?

sandeepdg

Indian Army is interested in the FGM-148 Javelin portable ATGM. As of now, it is one of the best ATGM in the world, the drawbacks being it is expensive. But, i think the the Spike ATGM is a better option for IA.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Joining in late, but the thread shows me the people are crying over apples and oranges.
Why will the Javelin purchase stop the Nag? no one is going to use the Javelin siting in a chopper is he?
We call our media DDM, but then why do people jump the boat and get carried over by them?

sandeepdg

Joining in late, but the thread shows me the people are crying over apples and oranges.
Why will the Javelin purchase stop the Nag? no one is going to use the Javelin siting in a chopper is he?
We call our media DDM, but then why do people jump the boat and get carried over by them?
Yeah, i am late, mate ! And i don't know why people are mixing up the Javelin with the Nag, both are different genre of ATGMs. Nag is heiborne missile in the league of the Hellfire, whereas Javelin is a shoulder launched one.

proud_hindustani

Country flag
If I was a politician in India. I would have said "**** Off" to USA and rejected all their offers. We don't even need anything from cunning USA

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
all is Geopolitics my friend right now our Intrest lies in the west and russia

as chankyan said " Ho king always keep the intrest of your Country at mind and make friends

blade

dear friends i have a question to you all. why atall some of the members are considering javeline as a threat to locally developed nag? After all what javiline has gotta do with nag? are they atall mutually replacable missiles? kindly explain me this otherwise i willl be very much dissapointed.

icecoolben

Nag is a tank launched, helicopter gunship launched 3rd generation anti-tank missile that can penetrate composite armour to achieve high kill rate having effective 3 km range.
The javelin would be a shoulder launched light advanced anti-tank missile. It would be launched at visible interception, of the foot soldier.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles