India's incredible shrinking air force

punjab47

महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट
Banned
http://defencenews.in/defence-news-internal.aspx?id=CZWU0VQDBHY=

79% of India's combat aircraft squadrons and 96% of its main battle tanks are Soviet-design, legacy New Delhi's close relationship with Moscow in the 1970s and 1980s.

September 2014, the IAF slashed prospective orders from 10 squadrons (around 220 aircraft) to 6-7 (126- 147 aircraft) in August 2015, to just three (63 aircraft) – in total, a 70% drop in numbers for what is supposed to be apex of Indian power in 2030s

just as confusing at the middle end of the spectrum. India had planned to buy 126 French Rafale But that deal dramatically changed shape in April 2015, buy just 36 Rafale in flyaway condition,
--
trouble at the lower end too. Two squadrons of the Tejas are scheduled to arrive before 2020, and four squadrons of a higher-end Tejas Mark II in the mid 2020s.
--
Put three issues together, and the scale becomes apparent. The IAF operates around 37 combat squadrons, expected to fall 32 to 35 by the end of the year. Its 'sanctioned strength' was supposed to be 42 combat squadrons by 2022. On present trends, this looks to me to be entirely unattainable. And after that point, India will start losing its dedicated ground attack aircraft (5 MiG-27 and 7 Jaguar squadrons). The IAF has shown little interest in procuring dedicated replacements for the strike role, suggesting that multi-role aircraft like the Su-30MKI and Rafale will have to take up the

In his 2011 report on the MMRCA deal, Dogfight, American analyst Ashley Tellis suggested that, 'in terms of raw numbers alone, the IAF must plan on confronting by 2020 as many as 1,500 fourth-generation Pakistani and Chinese fighters'. Even if we generously assume that India can stay at 37 squadrons around that date, that would still be around half of that number of aircraft.

India's superiority over Pakistan in modern aircraft has fallen from 4:1 in the early 2000s to less than 2.5:1 today. That ratio is likely to fall further.

punjab47

महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट
Banned
Rafale won due to a fake price that has massively inflated now.

No matter what we say about russia or Tejas, fact is without su30 we would be getting bombed by China pakistan right now.

I predict we'll see a massive su-35,super sukhoi, & fgfa(both) deal in December.

It's the only way to prevent loss, or we'll see hard shift towards america.

We'll know by the end of the month based on the climate around the helicopter deal.

Compersion

Country flag
Is there linkage to if the GE Engine Full TOT for Tejas and ++ is not done and how we deal and go with Ruskies (and even more heavily) ...

Either way we will have to have some Ruskies it cannot be a permanent stop because of the anchor to the past which GE and USA ought to understand and appreciate. Long-term success is sometimes slow and requires good fortune.

Its a pity that we dont have our more of own stuff ... we would be co-developing and talking on even more advanced levels with others and even sometimes supporting others. Perhaps it is a good things whatever happens.

guru-dutt

Rafale won due to a fake price that has massively inflated now.

No matter what we say about russia or Tejas, fact is without su30 we would be getting bombed by China pakistan right now.

I predict we'll see a massive su-35,super sukhoi, & fgfa(both) deal in December.

It's the only way to prevent loss, or we'll see hard shift towards america.

We'll know by the end of the month based on the climate around the helicopter deal.
not going to happen with respect to super sukhoi deals but ya super sukhoi MLU and 72 single seat FGFA is very much on cards

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Ofcourse it will shrink ... Thand jo hai......... :lol:

guru-dutt

Ofcourse it will shrink ... Thand jo hai......... :lol:
thand se yaad aya apki DP dekh ke to mujhe AC me bhi garmi lagne lagi hai bhanduwar but dont expect too much from NaMos russia trip in december ... russians off late are acting like congress parties "pappu" :D

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
thand se yaad aya apki DP dekh ke to mujhe AC me bhi garmi lagne lagi hai bhanduwar but dont expect too much from NaMos russia trip in december ... russians off late are acting like congress parties "pappu" :D
Thanku ...
NaMo se koi expectation nahi hai .... :lol:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
so are you a sir or a maam ? waise is it allowed here to post pictures and youtube clippings
Hahahaha ..... I am "Dandekar"
feel free but do use spoiler tag and post these kind of things in good faith ONLY if it contributes some new and relevant info to the form.

guru-dutt

Hahahaha ..... I am "Dandekar"
feel free but do use spoiler tag and post these kind of things in good faith ONLY if it contributes some new and relevant info to the form.
dandekar means your sir name no i mean about your gender ? :D

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles