India's growing stakes in South China Sea

Galaxy

Country flag
I think GOI probably was bothered too much by recent anti-corruption movement and therefore is eager to show their strong side that they are still accountable to Indian people by messing up with India's biggest potential threat: China

Even China is probably the most formidable outside threat to India as oppose to India's real threat: corrupted GOI, the conflict between these two countries is still remote. However GOI is keep provoking China to gain their legitimacy to Indian people while China is showing more signs of impatience.
I don't think so. You are mixing political and geo-political situation.

Yes, China is biggest threat for India and all thanks to you otherwise we had never started our defence modernization in same way.

China only advantage is quantity across border and not Air and Water superiority. We can always block you at Malacca strait and your J-10 won't fly 4,000 Km without refuelling. :)

GoI is not provoking China, It's other way around. What you will do if we give Nuke to Vietnam ?? We are trying to defend against Chinese aggression.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
India will back down if China presses too hard. The whole game was for India is too push and probe and see how China reacts. The intended aim of this whole episode was to show the world that China is not a power for greater good of the world.

Chinese neighbours, world powers, regional powers will all be concerned with Chinese aspirations, and will try to form a loose alliance to corner Chinese hegemony and assertiveness.
I am not sure if India will back off. What the Chinese will fear now is the western oil majors butting in as well taking cue from India. The US has pushed for India to be more assertive and it has also said it will step in if need be to protect it's interest. So the larger picture for Beijing is, the "intransigence" of India us going to open up SCS to western nations.

I also believe that rather than a loose alliance, we might see a concrete one, Asian NATO as they call it, South Asia Pacific Treaty Organization as I named it.

KS

Bye bye DFI
What you will do if we give Nuke to Vietnam ??.
If I were the Prime Minister, even if I had not given them nukes, I would have atleast proliferated missile technology making them capable of shitting out Beijing.

Galaxy

Country flag
If I were the Prime Minister, even if I had not given them nukes, I would have atleast proliferated missile technology making them capable of shitting out Beijing.
Yes, I agree. But they have given to Pakistan.

pmaitra

I think GOI probably was bothered too much by recent anti-corruption movement and therefore is eager to show their strong side that they are still accountable to Indian people by messing up with India's biggest potential threat: China

Even China is probably the most formidable outside threat to India as oppose to India's real threat: corrupted GOI, the conflict between these two countries is still remote. However GOI is keep provoking China to gain their legitimacy to Indian people while China is showing more signs of impatience.
Real threat:
  • Corruption.
  • PRC.
I am not sure which one is a bigger threat. I am sure, however, that PRC is indeed a real threat.

SpArK

SORCERER
Strings of pearls needs to be compromised. Port schemes in Lanka, Myanmar and Bangladesh needs to be negated and India needs to convert the Islands of Agati or Minicoy (Lakshadeep) and Nicobar Islands into fully operational Missile units and blast anything that violates the territorial waters.

Tianshan

Real threat:
  • Corruption.
  • PRC.
I am not sure which one is a bigger threat. I am sure, however, that PRC is indeed a real threat.
you are right, PRC is by far biggest threat to india

no need to worry about doubled digits inflation or insurgents

KS

Bye bye DFI
Why not get into a Nuclear Warhead Sharing Agreement with Vietnam, taking the US into confidence?

Nuclear sharing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think you bongs will not relish the prospect of BD getting the same thing from China or ourselves, Tamils, with Lanka. :sad:

Missiles come first, and if needed , in the most dire situations nuke technlogy.

The key to everything is somehow getting the Yankees into the shit. Why did USSR not attack Pakistan in the Soviet jihad ? Because of US. Same modus operandi. Just that we have to be careful with the Americans and not spread our legs wide like the Paks did.

pmaitra

I think you bongs will not relish the prospect of BD getting the same thing from China or ourselves, Tamils, with Lanka. :sad:

Missiles come first, and if needed , in the most dire situations nuke technlogy.

The key to everything is somehow getting the Yankees into the shit. Why did USSR not attack Pakistan in the Soviet jihad ? Because of US. Same modus operandi. Just that we have to be careful with the Americans and not spread our legs wide like the Paks did.
You made a good point. That is why I said, get the US into confidence.

BD and SL should be given a stern message about not cosying up to PRC too much for our comfort. If they act funny, a bombing raid in their cities will send the message. I don't like killing people, but we have to keep our citizens safe at all costs. Said that, we should reward BD or SL for their loyalty towards us.

Galaxy

Country flag
Strings of pearls needs to be compromised. Port schemes in Lanka, Myanmar and Bangladesh needs to be negated and India needs to convert the Islands of Agati or Minicoy (Lakshadeep) and Nicobar Islands into fully operational Missile units and blast anything that violates the territorial waters.
India don't need China for access in Asean, Middle-east, Central Asia and ofcourse IOR.

Asean - We are at malacca strait (from andamaan & Nicobar island - All are like neighbours)

Middle-east/Africa - Direct access (also we have base at Oman and Madagascar)

Central Asia - Chabahar port (Iran) - This will be very important in future to access Afghanistan.

Mongolia - (Russia)

But China needs to cross Indian Ocean. Pakistan route is very dangerous and there is also 500 Km mountain terrain. Even if they cross, They will meet us in Arabian Sea. ( I think that's why their activity has increased in POK and Gilgit Balistan as they are exploring alternative of IO)

We have advantage in Sea area. China has advantage in Air force as of now. Land force/Missile, it's balance. Both have what is needed. Only matter of quantity i suppose.

China also has to take care of many eastern neighbours. We have to take care of 2 countries Pak + China. BSF and Coastal force is more than enough for Bangladesh + SL.

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
You made a good point. That is why I said, get the US into confidence.

BD and SL should be given a stern message about not cosying up to PRC too much for our comfort. If they act funny, a bombing raid in their cities will send the message. I don't like killing people, but we have to keep our citizens safe at all costs. Said that, we should reward BD or SL for their loyalty towards us.
I dont have any issue with BD under Hasina. They are as friendly as friendly can get without compromising their interests too or becoming overt puppets. But one or two sorties of Tupolevs over Anuradhapura will ease off some anger within us.

@ those advocating military action against China be aware that their shipyards churn out one frigate/destroyer per 6 months and their aircraft industry is fully up and running unlike India and are almost self-reliant in other arms too.

its not that we cannot act as a defensive force on the face of a Chinese invasion. We are very well capable of giving them a bloody nose. But going on offensive and that too in SCS....please..... This needs Chanakya Neethi and cunningness more than brute force.

Last edited:

pmaitra

I dont have any issue with BD under Hasina. They are as friendly as friendly can get without compromising their interests too or becoming overt puppets. But one or two sorties of Tupolevs over Anuradhapura will ease off some anger within us.
Sorties, like, bombing raids?

I guess allegedly, India did send in her supersonic jets that flew over Islamabad and came back to India. We could use some such posturing with BD or SL and then say, "Sorry, our radars malfunctioned." This will send out a clear message. Then we can gift them a shipload of Tata and Ashok Leyland trucks each as goodwill aid. :) They will understand.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Sorties, like, bombing raids?

I guess allegedly, India did send in her supersonic jets that flew over Islamabad and came back to India. We could use some such posturing with BD or SL and then say, "Sorry, our radars malfunctioned." This will send out a clear message. Then we can gift them a shipload of Tata and Ashok Leyland trucks each as goodwill aid. :) They will understand.
Not bombing. That is explicit declaration of war. But what you mentioned. A sonic blast over anuradhapura is what I had in mind.

p.s.; Its not allegedly. It was a Mig 25 Foxbat. At that time Paks did not have the capability to intercept a Foxbat as it flies higher and faster than anything they had.

SpArK

SORCERER
India don't need China for access in Asean, Middle-east, Central Asia and of course IOR.

Asean - We are at malacca strait (from andamaan & Nicobar island - All are like neighbours)

Middle-east - Direct access (also we have base at Oman and Madagascar)

Central Asia - Chabahar port (Iran)

Mongolia - (Russia)

But China needs to cross Indian Ocean. Pakistan route is very danger and there is also 500 Km mountain terrain. Even if they cross, They will meet us in Arabian Sea. ( I think that's why their activity has increased in POK and Gilgit Balistan)

We have advantage in Sea area. China has advantage in Air force as of now. Land force/Missile, it's balance. Both have what is needed. Only matter of quantity i suppose.

China also has to take care of many eastern neighbours. We have to take care of 2 countries. BSF and Coastal force is more than enough for Bangladesh + SL.
We are there for namesake only. We need solid military bases with full operationality in-order to keep anything that moves through Malacca straits in check.

Oman, Madagaskar,Mongolia are listening ports and centres which are not that useful.You forgot Seychelles too.

Chabahar port has not yet started fully.

Need similar structures in Singapore with whom we have excellent relationships and maybe in southeast Thailand too, along with access to Nha Trang port of Vietnam.

KS

Bye bye DFI
You must be kidding!
I agree with you. As of NOW China has a slight air superiority due to its vast numbers.

But it may change with the deployment of Akash sam in large numbers in NE.

pmaitra

You must be kidding!
We have seen it in Afghanistan with the Mil-24/35s having to make rolling takeoffs. Rarified air = reduced weapons carrying capacity; or takeoff from far away low altitude PRC and refuel them as they approach Indo-Tibetan border. You cannot change geography. Too bad, we will always have this advantage.

No, I am not kidding!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles