India's God factory thrives - in China

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Wow!! Gotta say though, Chinese people are enterprising. Give them any work and they will do it!

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Speaking from a purely ritualistic point of view -> If the chinese whilst making idols observe practices contrary to hinduism(like eating beef, smoking etc), will that make the idols impure ?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Maybe. But I don't think the average customer asks about where the idol was made as long as the price is affordable.

Pintu

Thanks Nik posting the image of today's HT's front page , but I think the story is older , but personally my point of view is that it is pity, that the orders of the idol of Lord Ganesh being going and made in China and that is being sold here making huge profits (100-14)=86 that is , 614% profit, but thanks to almighty here in Bengal we are safe , we don't go to neighbouring country for idols , our small scale pottery workers who are making the idols in generations and we have entrusted them , small idols made in here sold as little as Rs. 10.

Regards

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Nanak looks Chinese in China-made idols

After the Chinese-made kirpans (daggers) nearly wiped out local manufacturers of one of the five 'K's of Sikhism, it is the turn of Guru Nanak Dev's idols with 'Chinese characteristics' to flood shops across Punjab.

The figurines, which have been in the market for some time, are available for Rs 100-150. They are popular gift items, with the smaller ones finding a perch on car dashboards "since it reassures the driver of divine protection", as one user put it.

The larger versions are seen in restaurants, stacked along with statuettes of deities of other faiths. Not everybody, though, is pleased. In fact, the Sikh clergy have issued directions to the community to refrain from buying these idols.

The order ostensibly stems from the fact that idol worship is banned in Sikhism. Idol worship, including performing of 'aarti', was prohibited by Guru Nanak himself, while Guru Gobind Singh even declared that those indulging in such practices would be ostracised from the faith.

Moreover, the Chinese-made idols sport a Chinese look, like slanted eyes and Mongoloid features.

"Guru Nanak is made to look more like a lama," said a Sikh wryly, who chanced upon these figurines in a gift shop in Jalandhar.

Hit Blog: Nanak looks Chinese in China-made idols

This news is both funny and disturbing :s

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Haha, just like how the Laughing Buddha looks Chinese. :D

EDIT: Wonder if the Ganesha or Saraswati idols also have Chinese features! :D

Pintu

^^^ Completely agree with Singhji , this report is funny but more disturbing the fact that the idol is sourcing from other country with whom we are competing economically and protection must be given to local industry and not only directions from the clergy with respect to the sentiment of Sikh Community can save the local industry from wiping out but State intervention must be needed, and why not the idol of Sri Guru Nanak is not being sourced from local industry but another matter of concern is that look of Sri Guru Nanak is being changed through the idols imported and in my opinion it is matter of great concern , that it's effect can be seen upcoming generations.

Regards

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
If we want to compete, idol manufacturers in India should streamline their operations and make them more efficient. China has a higher per capita income than India, yet Chinese workers accept less pay, and inspite of the cost of exporting it from Beijing to Mumbai, customs duties etc, Chinese manufacturers manage to make a profit. That's nothing short of amazing.

If we cannot compete with China even in making Ganesh or Guru Nanak idols, we should be ashamed. It's better then to outsource the idol making industry to China.

Pintu

Haha, just like how the Laughing Buddha looks Chinese. :D

EDIT: Wonder if the Ganesha or Saraswati idols also have Chinese features! :D

True KU, but I am disgusted that how could any body make so many fun while making idol of Lord Buddha and naming it as 'Smiling Buddha' why not look according to Lord Buddha's description was not given by the Chinese potters and though it is on the people's liberty to buy it or not to buy but I am personally dead against this. I am not against the Chinese potters or Chinese people.

Thanks we are safe in Bengal , we don't have to source the idols of any Hindu God or Goddess from any other country not even from Bangladesh because our potters for generations making the idols in much cheaper.

Regards

Country flag
I have seen many of these chinese made idols, they seem to be all over the temples in USA , I must admit that some are very well made.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
True KU, but I am disgusted that how could any body make so many fun while making idol of Lord Buddha and naming it as 'Smiling Buddha' why not look according to Lord Buddha's description was not given by the Chinese potters and though it is on the people's liberty to buy it or not to buy but I am personally dead against this. I am not against the Chinese potters or Chinese people.
Pintu, I was kidding. The Laughing Buddha is actually not a depiction of the Buddha, but a monk from medieval China. Those statues are supposed to bring good luck. I have one myself in a keychain.

Pintu

If we want to compete, idol manufacturers in India should streamline their operations and make them more efficient.
You are absolutely right KU here, with that regards the local consumers should keep faith on local industry.

China has a higher per capita income than India, yet Chinese workers accept less pay, and inspite of the cost of exporting it from Beijing to Mumbai, customs duties etc, Chinese manufacturers manage to make a profit. That's nothing short of amazing.
It is amusing me also how can sellers source them from there when you have homegrown industry here , including the abundance of raw materials and if the logic taken that in Mumbai region potters can not compete with Chinese products is taken for consideration then why not order from other parts of the state of Maharashtra or other states of India cost will be much less.

Regards

Pintu

Pintu, I was kidding. The Laughing Buddha is actually not a depiction of the Buddha, but a monk from medieval China. Those statues are supposed to bring good luck. I have one myself in a keychain.

:) KU , I know that while I was writing the post , and also Feng -Sui, I can also understand joke ..., brother , cheers but actually I am disgusted with them who market them as 'Laughing Buddha' or the artists who gave the name Laughing Buddha. but again it is People's liberty.

Don't Mind Brother , it is nothing personal

Regards

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
It is amusing me also how can sellers source them from there when you have homegrown industry here , including the abundance of raw materials and if the logic taken that in Mumbai region potters can not compete with Chinese products is taken for consideration then why not order from other parts of the state of Maharashtra or other states of India cost will be much less.
Because Ganesh festival is celebrated all over Maharashtra. It's like Durga Pooja in WB or Navratri in Gujarat. Maybe the reason is that during the festival season, demand goes up so much that skilled artisans are paid a premium for each idol. And when millions of idols are being made, I guess it adds up to the cost.

Personally though, I find this whole business of buying idols and then immersing them after a week or two quite bizzare. These idols are not cheap-you could buy the smallest ones for probably around 100-150 Rs. Some people buy medium sized ones that cost upto Rs 500 every year. They have it in the house for 2 weeks max and then immerse it in a nearby river or sea. That's a ridiculous waste of money.......might as well go and throw a Rs 500 note in the ocean.

NikSha

Speaking from a purely ritualistic point of view -> If the chinese whilst making idols observe practices contrary to hinduism(like eating beef, smoking etc), will that make the idols impure ?

No. It just makes the idol cheaper than Indian versions. It's not like Chinese are entering Hindu temples (since most ban outsiders).

Either way, I'd be surprised if followers of ANY religion out there even know what their religion stood for originally before the so called "religious texts" (or "history") weren't overwritten and modified to suit random people over a long period. Besides, Hinduism has been the most liberal religion for ages, the reason why India isn't in the shitter like Pakistan.

PS: Haha, I would particularly like to stay away from a religion which has "smoking is cool" tip in the religious books. Not that I am a religious person anyway..

Pintu

Because Ganesh festival is celebrated all over Maharashtra. It's like Durga Pooja in WB or Navratri in Gujarat. Maybe the reason is that during the festival season, demand goes up so much that skilled artisans are paid a premium for each idol. And when millions of idols are being made, I guess it adds up to the cost.

Personally though, I find this whole business of buying idols and then immersing them after a week or two quite bizzare. These idols are not cheap-you could buy the smallest ones for probably around 100-150 Rs. Some people buy medium sized ones that cost upto Rs 500 every year. They have it in the house for 2 weeks max and then immerse it in a nearby river or sea. That's a ridiculous waste of money.......might as well go and throw a Rs 500 note in the ocean.

Absolutely right KU , I am totally agree with your point, Lord Ganesh festival is similar in scale as they are being celebrated West Bengal as Durga Puja or Navratri in Gujarat but point is that can be the cost so high , may be the high life style and improved economic condition can be an explanation, again may be I wrong. However, this is people's freedom or choice to immerse the idol after festival, also here in W.Bengal , the Surbojonin Puja Committees ( All People's Puja Committee ) immerse their big idols made by local potter costing 1000's of Rupees as it is upto Hindu religious faith, but in case of person , who worships in home , I am completely agree with your point and support you as personally I also think it is waste of hard earned money.

Regards

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
No. It just makes the idol cheaper than Indian versions. It's not like Chinese are entering Hindu temples (since most ban outsiders). [

Either way, I'd be surprised if followers of ANY religion out there even know what their religion stood for originally before the so called "religious texts" (or "history") weren't overwritten and modified to suit random people over a long period. Besides, Hinduism has been the most liberal religion for ages, the reason why India isn't in the shitter like Pakistan.

PS: Haha, I would particularly like to stay away from a religion which has "smoking is cool" tip in the religious books. Not that I am a religious person anyway..
A few hindu temples ban non-hindus. Jagannath temple at Puri banned Indira Gandhi from entering for eg. but Sikhs are allowed there.

I wouldn't blame or praise religion for the condition of the nation states.

As per Ayurveda's dincharya routine daily smoking is essential for good health.

NikSha

A few hindu temples ban non-hindus. Jagannath temple at Puri banned Indira Gandhi from entering for eg. but Sikhs are allowed there.

I wouldn't blame or praise religion for the condition of the nation states.

As per Ayurveda's dincharya routine daily smoking is essential for good health.
I couldn't care less if they banned Mahatma Gandhi from entering. Religions aren't what they were meant to be now, everyone is bringing their own new ideas these days (like they say, it is the "Kalyug" after-all).

Also, somehow I doubt it that actual Ayurvedic texts just asked them to go around smoking the cig's being made these days. They used to smoke some weed mix with herbs and stuff back then, not the same thing people smoke these days.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles