Indigenous Anti-Airfield Bomb tested

Country flag
Sir we bought the American GBU 28 bunker busters, initial orders are some 150 units, and no details available for follow on purchase
I knew we bought something could not find the link . Thanks for confirming. But as always I prefer indigenous to bought weapons.

Country flag
Article Says: With a range of 100 kms, the Indian-built glide bomb can be fired on ground targets which are beyond the range of most surface-to-air missile systems in use in Pakistan and China. In other words, the pilot of the fighter dropping the bomb can drop the weapon and escape before entering the range of the radars of enemy surface-to-air missiles which can shoot it down.

So basically, this would be the best option to use in precision strikes against terrorist camps.
Glide bombs do not have an engine that gives of exhaust so it is harder to detect.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Glide bombs do not have an engine that gives of exhaust so it is harder to detect.
And we can strike in PoK from within India. I'm not sure if an anti airfield weapon can be used for carpet bombing a camp though.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Country flag
And we can strike in PoK from within India. I'm not sure if an anti airfield weapon can be used for carpet bombing a camp though.

You don't need to waste a bomb like this on a terror camp. Drone attacks like USA does maybe better.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Looks awesome, four 125 kg in a single multi ejection rack

Jag can easily carry two and MKI four of them.. A set of 10 MKI or Jaguar enough to take out a air base
The MKI might be able to carry five because the centerline hardpoints on the MKI are very spacious (they're even able to house the Brahmos-A ALCM from that point).

I'm happy to see India/DRDO finally experimenting with multi-rack ejectors, it is something that the Indian Mil/R&D establishment has lagged behind on for a while now. The LCA for example seems to be in desperate need for multi-rack ejectors for both AAM and A2G munitions because of its (relatively) limited number of hardpoints.

In 2016, this is pretty pathetic:

Kshatriya87

Country flag
You don't need to waste a bomb like this on a terror camp. Drone attacks like USA does maybe better.
But drones have a risk of getting shot down unless they are stealth and/or high altitude. That can make them out of reach of SAMs.

abingdonboy

Country flag

Please, India has all the weaponary it needs to strike POK terror camps, that has never been the issue. It is the lack of b@lls from the civilians that has negated such action being taken thus far. Let's not delude ourselves that the induction of any new weaponary- no matter what it is- will make such strikes more likely.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Please, India has all the weaponary it needs to strike POK terror camps, that has never been the issue. It is the lack of b@lls from the civilians that has negated such action being taken thus far. Let's not delude ourselves that the induction of any new weaponary- no matter what it is- will make such strikes more likely.
from civilians? How do you mean? As far as I know, majority of civilians in India are dying to see that happen. Or perhaps you mean politicians?

Country flag
But drones have a risk of getting shot down unless they are stealth and/or high altitude. That can make them out of reach of SAMs.

Best to send in a special forces unit and just slaughter everyone in the camp.
But everyone will give a different opinion. There two ways military strategist think one camp likes to depend on high tech weaponry and the second camp on capable soldiers. I prefer soldiers (but not for every situation)

Kshatriya87

Country flag
But everyone will give a different opinion. There two ways military strategist think one camp likes to depend on high tech weaponry and the second camp on capable soldiers. I prefer soldiers (but not for every situation)
But wouldn't we prefer a surprise attack with minimalist time frame in enemy territory for such a mission? We need to be in and out before they realise what hit them. In case of commandos/special forces, they can probably get in without enemy knowing but once they get detected, evac will be a problem.

Country flag
This is exactly why I suggest do drones I don't know if Indian govt is capable of a act like this yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country flag
But wouldn't we prefer a surprise attack with minimalist time frame in enemy territory for such a mission? We need to be in and out before they realise what hit them. In case of commandos/special forces, they can probably get in without enemy knowing but once they get detected, evac will be a problem.
By the time they are detected good unit will probably have killed everyone. They can wipeout the whole camp and get out surprisingly quickly. And even if detected who cares

Kshatriya87

Country flag
By the time they are detected good unit will probably have killed everyone. They can wipeout the whole camp and get out surprisingly quickly. And even if detected who cares

WE care. We definitely don't want to sacrifice our soldiers. We are not Jihadis.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
This is exactly why I suggest do drones I don't know if Indian govt is capable of a act like this yet?

I'm not sure if they are. They will keep blabbering about international pressure, diplomatic pressure, trade relations blah blah blah. They need to grow some balls. I wouldn't mind if we go down by a couple of numbers in FDI rankings. We will lose a few billion worth of investments, so what? And this is also not going to happen for sure.

abingdonboy

Country flag
from civilians? How do you mean? As far as I know, majority of civilians in India are dying to see that happen. Or perhaps you mean politicians?
Indeed brother, I meant those so-called civlian "leaders" ie the politcians/babus.

I too think a Special Forces operation would be more effective ala the Mynamar Op. "Boots on the ground" (backed by airpower) will allow for a more effective kill operation as well as a greater ability to conduct BDA in real time.

Drones have very limited utility in a mass target strike like on a terror camp, they are good for a single attack on a single target (like a person or vehicle) but for a terror camp you need some serious firepower and lots of it. The Hellfire (carried on the Reapers) is a relatively tiny munition with about 1/3rd of the weight of the above SAAW and about 1/5th of the weight of the Spice-250. For a strike on terror camps I would prefer a mass barrage with 500-1000LB PGMs followed by SF teams going in for a "mop up" and thorough BDA/intel recovery.

Alas, we can dream. The "leaders" of India will never man up enough to do such things- they are too busy boot licking the West and (literally) embracing the enemy.

Country flag
WE care. We definitely don't want to sacrifice our soldiers. We are not Jihadis.
We are not sending them to get killed this will be trained specialized soldiers against rag tag terrorists. This is the problem Indians can only think defensively and not offensively
This is how Chinese are in POK without a scratch

abingdonboy

Country flag
Give the SF the objective (slaughtering these animals) and they will do the rest-plan, act and evac. They are the very best in the Indian Mil not some two-bit Jihadi pigs, give them the resources and be amazed by what they are able to do.

That said, I am certain none of these guys would have an issue with losing their lives (god forbid) to ensure this mission is a success. Killing these pigs is their speciality, most of them will know of team mates that never came home fighting these scoundrels in JK, the chance to take the fight to them would not be missed by any "team guys".

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Drones have very limited utility in a mass target strike like on a terror camp, they are good for a single attack on a single target (like a person or vehicle) but for a terror camp you need some serious firepower and lots of it. The Hellfire (carried on the Reapers) is a relatively tiny munition with about 1/3rd of the weight of the above SAAW and about 1/5th of the weight of the Spice-250.
Unlike USA, we don't need to follow a single drone flight "rule". We can send multiple drones at high altitude to carry more munitions? Can a drone carry thermobaric bombs?

Alas, we can dream. The "leaders" of India will never man up enough to do such things- they are too busy boot licking the West and (literally) embracing the enemy.
Alas. Forget about foreign land, they don't even have the balls to make things happen in this very country. My hopes were high when they talked about pandit rehab and sainik colonies in kashmir. That too is rolled back now. Why? Just because a couple of separatist leaders protested against it? This is BS.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
We are not sending them to get killed this will be trained specialized soldiers against rag tag terrorists. This is the problem Indians can only think defensively and not offensively
This is how Chinese are in POK without a scratch
Give the SF the objective (slaughtering these animals) and they will do the rest-plan, act and evac. They are the very best in the Indian Mil not some two-bit Jihadi pigs, give them the resources and be amazed by what they are able to do.

OK. Given this scenario, which commando force do you guys think is perfect? Para / MARCOS / Garud?

abingdonboy

Country flag
Unlike USA, we don't need to follow a single drone flight "rule". We can send multiple drones at high altitude to carry more munitions? Can a drone carry thermobaric bombs?
I still think the drones pack a woefully small "punch". A single MKI could carry as many munitions as maybe 8-10 UAVs.

Until UCAVs come online (not for another 8 years at least I'd say) the fighters still present the best option for this kind of mission.

+ with the ability to launch stand off munitions and with POK terror camps so close to the LoC there shouldn't be much of a risk to the fighters.

Alas. Forget about foreign land, they don't even have the balls to make things happen in this very country. My hopes were high when they talked about pandit rehab and sainik colonies in kashmir. That too is rolled back now. Why? Just because a couple of separatist leaders protested against it? This is BS.
Poltics (predictably) got in the way- the BJP put its power-seeking ahead of the nation and look at the results.

OK. Given this scenario, which commando force do you guys think is perfect? Para / MARCOS / Garud?
PARA (SF) all day long. This is what these guys do on a daily basis.

Yes MARCOs are also deployed in JK and conduct regular Ops agaisnt the piggies but it is nowhere near on the same scale as the PARA (SF).

Garuds are still relatively untested BUT the PARA (SF) may want to take a few of them for the mission to act as FAC for the fast air softening up the targets and acting as "top cover".

+ Special Group (made up of PARA (SF) and MARCOs) might be worth considering but this sort of missions doesn't really fit within their mandate.

THIS is why India DESPERATLY needs the SOCOM to build on the respective strengths of the various SF units/teams and to have an institutional framework for these sorts of things instead of a the current peicemeal arrangment where missions are handed out to units based on their deployment pattern and not their inherent merit to conduct such a mission. But the MoD/GoI is STILL sat on the proposal almost a decade after it was first proposed, with "leaders" like these, who needs enemies, right?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles