India's brain gain: Fewer than 200 IIT graduates went abroad last year

Rushil51

Country flag

captscooby81

Country flag
well they may not be going abroad but still being in india they are working for American MNC's..Why cant the government bring out a rule saying people passing out from IIT,IISc and other reputed ones should work for the government projects are contribute to our research institutes before they can opt for greener pastures for green card ...if i am not wrong they implemented a rule for govt funded medical students to work for govt hospitals for 2 years..what we need is these institutes should be pioneering in research instead they are just churning out 6 figure $ salary professionals ...

airtel

Country flag
This is not dignity or patriotism ....................This is Lack of opportunity .

Mauka hi nahi mila ................that means direct job nahi mili foreign country mein ..

thousands of Indians are still going abroad for higher education & jobs .

:playball::playball::playball:

I am otm shank

if thousands of people our of 1.3 billion people make such an impact on where they choose to make their living then that's very very sad

Indibomber

Absolutely anyone(Indians) who joins premium Indian institutes should be bound by a contract to serve some years for Indian companies and govt projects or something on those lines.

I am otm shank

Absolutely anyone(Indians) who joins premium Indian institutes should be bound by a contract to serve some years for Indian companies and govt projects or something on those lines.
I have a friend from Sweden who says this the restriction on those who pursue higher education in their country. His mother works in neurosurgery and he complains she makes a few hundred thousand a year instead of millions she would in America

Krusty

Country flag
It is this way in Singapore. Each student is bound by law to spend atleast a few years (5 I think) in Singapore before trying for opportunities outside. I think it's a brilliant idea.

DingDong

Country flag
During my years at campus, there were restrictions on foreign placement. Every student was supposed to go through in-campus placement, companies were not allowed to directly contact the students and vice-versa. Violation would result in Black Listing (Company) and summary Rustication (Student).

Education at IITs and IIMs is no longer subsidized, hence the government has no right to put restrictions of any kind. In addition to money, brain drain has got other reasons.

Performers choose higher education and/or high-paying jobs, rest choose secure jobs. In my final year DRDO IAF, ONGC etc visited the campus, but not a single worthy guy opted for them, for obvious reasons.

What do you expect? Keep working their @$$es off and watch others getting promoted out-of-the turn just because their ancestors supposedly exploited some people 5000 years ago?

Krusty

Country flag
During my years at campus, there were restrictions on foreign placement. Every student was supposed to go through in-campus placement, companies were not allowed to directly contact the students and vice-versa. Violation would result in Black Listing (Company) and summary Rustication (Student).

Education at IITs and IIMs is no longer subsidized, hence the government has no right to put restrictions of any kind. In addition to money, brain drain has got other reasons.

Performers choose higher education and/or high-paying jobs, rest choose secure jobs. In my final year DRDO IAF, ONGC etc visited the campus, but not a single worthy guy opted for them, for obvious reasons.

What do you expect? Keep working their @$$es off and watch others getting promoted out-of-the turn just because their ancestors supposedly exploited some people 5000 years ago?
I Would like to know a bit more.. what about private firms? Do they also get the same response from high performers? Let's say, TATA or Mahindra comes in for recruitment.. what happens then?

captscooby81

Country flag
The reason i said they should work for the government is we are really going now where in the area of research contributions . I have my own family examples my cousin passed out of aeronautical engineering from prestigious institute then left india went to use did his MS in Aeronautics and then his PHD and now working for one of those defense manufacturers...Its these kind of talent HAL or DRDO needs in the longer run to make any great progress in the Aircraft manufacturing... A P J Kalam was one example and there may be many more who are working with ISRO,DRDO and HAL but we need more from these IIT s and IISc ...

charlie

Country flag
The reason i said they should work for the government is we are really going now where in the area of research contributions . I have my own family examples my cousin passed out of aeronautical engineering from prestigious institute then left india went to use did his MS in Aeronautics and then his PHD and now working for one of those defense manufacturers...Its these kind of talent HAL or DRDO needs in the longer run to make any great progress in the Aircraft manufacturing... A P J Kalam was one example and there may be many more who are working with ISRO,DRDO and HAL but we need more from these IIT s and IISc ...
Did he do it from Hindustan College of Enginnering in chennai ?

DingDong

Country flag
I Would like to know a bit more.. what about private firms? Do they also get the same response from high performers? Let's say, TATA or Mahindra comes in for recruitment.. what happens then?
I cannot tell how it works now.

I graduated with 11 others (excl. me) in my course. Out of those 11:
A. 6 opted for higher education in the US, none of them returned
B. 2 got placed with an US IT multinational, stayed in India
C. 3 got placed with an US consultancy firm, none of them live in India any longer

Overall, around 50% students opted for campus placement.

During my days once selected by a company the students were not allowed to sit for another interview. Students were not allowed to reject a job offer (if they opted for an interview).

Most of the good students avoided TATA, WIPRO, Infosys, Mahindra like plague because these companies were alloted early slots (Placement dept. auctioned off the slots).

Interviews were mere formality, everybody who mistakenly/deliberately put their name on the list got selected.

Indibomber

I was not aware that it's not subsidized any more. Out of Sync.

captscooby81

Country flag
That's the only decent aeronautical college in India having a good resources and infra. Well even the LTTE airwing stuided there.
LTTE airwing studied there ...WTF they even had aircraft or they studied aeronautical and created their own gliders..well i think MIT was also a reputable on in Chennai. If i am not wrong A P J Kalam passed out from MIT ..

charlie

Country flag
LTTE airwing studied there ...WTF they even had aircraft or they studied aeronautical and created their own gliders..well i think MIT was also a reputable on in Chennai. If i am not wrong A P J Kalam passed out from MIT ..
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Tigers

When I was studying in hindustan I had a chat with a professor who told me that he taught these guys back in 70's & 80's

Project Dharma

meh
Country flag
well they may not be going abroad but still being in india they are working for American MNC's..Why cant the government bring out a rule saying people passing out from IIT,IISc and other reputed ones should work for the government projects are contribute to our research institutes before they can opt for greener pastures for green card ...if i am not wrong they implemented a rule for govt funded medical students to work for govt hospitals for 2 years..what we need is these institutes should be pioneering in research instead they are just churning out 6 figure $ salary professionals ...
Pay more than the private sector, the government of India can afford it. Problem solved instead of forced bonded labor which will make bright people not apply to IITs anymore.

Global Defence

Articles