India's Air Defense System and its Capabilities

NeXoft007

Country flag
Seeker is your answer. Although we have developed Amogha-1, but this too is said to be 2nd gen MANPAD. Along with this, we are working on tube launched MANPADS too, but till now only AMOGHA is the one which has undergone test.
Amogha-1 is ATGM, not MANPADS.

Reactions: Kay

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Amogha-1 is ATGM, not MANPADS.
:laugh:
.................................................................................................................................

bhramos

Country flag
India should get some Pantsir-S2 atleast good for Drones..!!!

Combat Successes of Russian Pantsir-S2 in Syria!!!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The service rate of Tungushka M1 is not very impressive, Its does not not worth to have this if it does not work where it must ..

India should get some Pantsir-S2 atleast good for Drones..!!!

Combat Successes of Russian Pantsir-S2 in Syria!!!

bhramos

Country flag
The service rate of Tungushka M1 is not very impressive, Its does not not worth to have this if it does not work where it must ..
Tungaska M1 was good for Tank Formations, but i feel Pantsir-S2 would give cover on high value targets on move on roads, like S-300/400 , Akash, Agni series move....

bhramos

Country flag

Interesting modification, ZU-23-2 is mounted on TARTA 8X8, Before this the system was mounted on 4X4 version but changed quickly as the 4x4 could not keep up with mech formations ..
wow, never knew about it.... just add a radar it would almost never be beatable or equal to Panstir SAM bhai...

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Tungaska M1 was good for Tank Formations, but i feel Pantsir-S2 would give cover on high value targets on move on roads, like S-300/400 , Akash, Agni series move....
Yes we need "DESI" Pantsir-S2 because tungaska had no radar and automated targeted and becomes difficult when targeting highly maneuverable like attack helicopters.
We can use Pantsir for point defense for protecting fuel and ammunition dumps.

bhramos

Country flag
Yes we need "DESI" Pantsir-S2 because tungaska had no radar and automated targeted and becomes difficult when targeting highly maneuverable like attack helicopters.
We can use Pantsir for point defense for protecting fuel and ammunition dumps.
you are correct, but that would take another 10 years, still Indian Army will not accept it into service... why waste of time.........
still what Heavy Machine gun do we have?

Superdefender

India possesses extremely potent and tested anti aircraft weaponry as well as air defense & early warning systems. India’s air defense network has two principal components- the Air Defense Ground Environment System(ADGES) and the Base Air Defense Zones(BADZ). The ADGES network provides for wide area radar coverage and permits the detection and interception of most aerial incursions into Indian airspace. The BADZ system, however, is far more concentrated with radars, interceptors, SAMs and AAA units working in conjunction to provide an intense and highly effective defensive barrier to attacks on vital targets.

Most Indian bases and vital targets are protected by full squadron of S-125 Pechora-1b SAMs and some critical spots are protected by additional deployments of OSA-AKM mobile SAMs.

Vijyes

India possesses extremely potent and tested anti aircraft weaponry as well as air defense & early warning systems. India’s air defense network has two principal components- the Air Defense Ground Environment System(ADGES) and the Base Air Defense Zones(BADZ). The ADGES network provides for wide area radar coverage and permits the detection and interception of most aerial incursions into Indian airspace. The BADZ system, however, is far more concentrated with radars, interceptors, SAMs and AAA units working in conjunction to provide an intense and highly effective defensive barrier to attacks on vital targets.

Most Indian bases and vital targets are protected by full squadron of S-125 Pechora-1b SAMs and some critical spots are protected by additional deployments of OSA-AKM mobile SAMs.
Can you explain how can India find out about the intrusion if Pakistan/Saudi flies a military aircraft in the guise if civilian aircraft across India pretending to reach Bangladesh? In the process, they can do aerial reconnaissance of Indian sites too

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Most of this are junked by other countries and we still using them...And you certified as best

captscooby81

Country flag
I don't know when we will see such advanced Electronic Warfare systems in our possession to bring down drone and missile attacks ...:facepalm:

Krasukha EW System
Krasukha-2_(Красуха-2)_Unloaded.jpg
MAKS2015part6-51.jpg

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If i have to put my trust in one AD system which is foreign and license produce in mass is L70 and its flycatcher radar, Tunguska can`t even hit slow speed drones at least those serving in India ..

Its time Army look into Indian system and DRDO should develop equipment which are already in service, For example radar guided ZU-23-2 ( Fully automated except the reloading ) clones or same for L70 which are vehicle mounted ..

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
@Kunal Biswas What is the present stage of our air defense system compared to our rivals? Rate from 1 to 10 on scale.
What is the solution for air defense on your perspective?

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
If i have to put my trust in one AD system which is foreign and license produce in mass is L70 and its flycatcher radar, Tunguska can`t even hit slow speed drones at least those serving in India ..

Its time Army look into Indian system and DRDO should develop equipment which are already in service, For example radar guided ZU-23-2 ( Fully automated except the reloading ) clones or same for L70 which are vehicle mounted ..
How about rheinmetall defence's skysheild?

Vijyes

@Kunal Biswas What is the present stage of our air defense system compared to our rivals? Rate from 1 to 10 on scale.
What is the solution for air defense on your perspective?
Who is the rival? Pakistan, China, USA or Bangladesh? Specify please

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति

Will these systems be able to fire on the move if mounted? Also, if the requirement is to support Armoured columns, the AD will have to armoured and tracked as well. So which chassis would be the best fit for something like that? I think BMP chassis would work.

A key difference in this system would be that the radar would be on a different vehicle and it will have to pass on the information to all vehicle-mounted L70 or ZU-23-2 which would only rely on Electro-Optical FCS. This makes the entire system vulnerable, especially because a single radar is catering to 4 different gun carrier platforms.
To overcome that, I was wondering if it is possible to mount 4 L70 and a Flycatcher or Atulya radar on a single armoured chassis, but I am not sure if the radar would be compact enough to fit. Maybe they can make a smaller radar for this?

I don't know when we will see such advanced Electronic Warfare systems in our possession to bring down drone and missile attacks ...:facepalm:

Krasukha EW System
View attachment 19406 View attachment 19407

I imagine KALI project is a better tech for the same job. Its more advanced but is also more than a decade away from field deployment. So are all DEW weapons.
An interesting read:
How Good Is Russian Electronic Warfare?
Ignore the humble title and give it a read.

Also, if someone could tell me if NAVIC is also vulnerable to exploitation of the "bearing frequency" concept like the GPS as the article asserts here:-
In the GPS system there is the ‘bearing frequency’ concept. At the basis of the system lies the transmission of the elementary signal from the satellite to the transmitter, therefore the smallest turning off from the assigned frequency even by milliseconds will lead to a loss of accuracy. The transmission of the signal goes in a sufficiently narrow band, according to open data — 1575.42 MHz and 1227.60 MHz, and this is the bearing frequency. Therefore modern jammers are focused directly at blocking it which, taking into account the narrowness of the bearing frequency and possession of a sufficiently powerful noise jammer, to silence it does not constitute a special effort.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles