Indians who sided with invaders against their own

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Project Dharma, May 20, 2017.

1. Project Dharma

Project Dharma दुष्ट आत्मा Senior Member

Something that has been on my mind from an earlier conversation on a different thread. Let's post articles and opinions of figures in history who betrayed Indians and sided with outsiders (particularly Britshers and Muslims).

@OneGrimPilgrim @Razor @Krusty @pmaitra

3. Krusty

Krusty Senior Member Senior Member

Oh this thread is inevitably going to kick up the Rajput-muslim storm again. I can sense it already ... :crystalball:

4. captscooby81

captscooby81 Senior Member Senior Member

This guys is one who helped the EIC get foothold in southindia from where is spread its tentacles

Vijaya Raghunatha Tondaiman succeeded to the throne on the death of his first cousin, Raya Raghunatha Tondaiman, the Raja of Pudukkottai without any male heirs.[2] Vijaya Raghunatha's reign was a period of incessant wars in South India. Vijaya Raghunatha supported the British in the wars and in return for his services, he was given the title "Raja Bahadur" by Muhammed Ali Khan Wallajah, the Nawab of the Carnatic on 17 October 1796.[2] Vijaya Raghunatha played a pivotal role in Polygar Wars leading to the capture and arrest of Veerapandiya Kattabomman and his brother Oomaithurai by the British.[2] The British recognized his services by handing him the territory of Kilanilai in 1803.[2]

The Thanjavur Maratha kingdom was annexed by the British East India Company in 1799, followed by the Ramnad and Sivaganga kingdoms which were reduced to the status of zamindari estates. The annexation of the Carnatic kingdom in 1801 made the British East India Company, the paramount power in South India. Pudukkottai was allowed to remain independent in recognition of the services the Tondaiman kings had rendered to the company.

5. Krusty

@Project Dharma im not sure but I read somewhere that a CO from one of the Sikh regts said that Sikhs had no problem with Pakistanis. Also he was responsible for letting a paki commander slip from Indian forces? Can you confirm?

I think we need to pull @Hemu Vikram Aditya and @Bornubus here.

6. Krusty

Thank you. I learnt something new today... :yo:

7. captscooby81

Dei don t tell me you never read about this guy ..Remembered the Name Ettaiyapan the traitor in tamil history He is nothing but Tondaiman..People from Ettaiyapuram kings were called Ettapan s ...

8. Krusty

Saar true devotee of Veera Paandiya Kattaboman I am. But thanks to your post, I learnt more about umdat ul umara (the mentioned Nawabs Son) and his involvement in the Anglo-Mysore war. I should have been clear. My apologies ..

9. Bornubus

Bornubus Dogra Rule 1846-1949 Senior Member

Never heard such thing. But your story applies more on Punjabi/ Sikh civilians. AFAIK Most of them do not see Pakis as their enemy (or they are neutral ) for several reasons.

As Kiren Rijiju once said Pak obsession is a North Indian thing especially Hindi belt.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  10. Screambowl

Screambowl Senior Member Senior Member

we don't have any pak Urdu love. This basically happened in literature lovers of lucknow and Lahore Punjabis and larkhana Sindhis.

HindaviSwarajya likes this.
  11. captscooby81

Apologies :shock::shock: ...Chill dude get some nice pictures of our frigates in Singapore :cruisin2:

12. itsme

itsme Regular Member

Hey bro, you're a Sikh. yeah?

If so can I ask you something?

13. Razor

Razor Pest Control Moderator

@captscooby81 already talked about Veera pandya Kattaboman

Similar story of a nearly unknown king from the late 18th century: Kerala Varma Pazhassi Raja.

This guy first fought the Haider Ali, Tipu hordes.

Then the Brits who were making inroads into KL.

Eventually he was on the run and working out of forests of KL conducting guerrila warfare.
    Afaik he was betrayed by a Mr. Chandu who was a fighter close to KVPR, and who decided to change sides betraying the kings precise camp location in the forest. He was killed in a gun fight with the brits.
    ------------------

Also didn't the Dogras side with the Brits to defeat the Sikhs in the Anglo-Sikh wars?

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    Project Dharma and captscooby81 like this.
  14. Project Dharma

sure ask away, i might reply in the chit chat thread if it is off topic

15. Project Dharma

No doubt, hopefully we get a few decent posts until then.

That was Col Anant Singh, CO of 4 Sikh regiment. Col Anant Singh was the hero of the battle of Burki (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Burki) near Lahore and then fell from grace because he was asked to take his tired unit to capture Khem Kharan and they happened

Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 8.24.54 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 8.25.05 AM.png

(Sorry for posting Pak propaganda video, but obviously we don't have Indian)

Once in POW camp, he met his old Pakistani comrade from WW2 and overcome with emotion perhaps, made the statement that "Sikhs did not have any problem with Pakistanis). He also appeared for a picture in which he was hugging the Subedar which along with his statement led to his fall from grace.

upload_2017-5-20_8-28-42.png

At any rate, he doesn't deserve a mention in this thread because of some foolish statement that he made in a POW camp. Especially because of his previous heroism in Burki.

There are certainly Sikhs that have betrayed India, I will post a few. To be clear, I was looking for historical figures (< 1947) if that wasn't clear. Specifically, what led to our fall to the hands of British and Muslim invaders?

16. Project Dharma

Not the entire Dogras but a couple of commanders I believe who happened to be Dogra.

17. Project Dharma

Here, keeping my promise of mentioning Sikhs who betrayed us :) A siropa for the unfamiliar is a scarf typically bestowed in honor of somebody's deeds. Oh and forgot to tag @AnantS although I haven't seem him for a while.

Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 8.40.14 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 8.40.30 AM.png

18. Project Dharma

Maharaja Ala Singh (Founder of Patiala and ancestor of Captain Amrinder Singh) @Bornubus

Ahmed Shah Abdali made Ala Singh a Raja, given the title of “Raja-e-Rajgan Bahadur” and was given a robe of honor and a caparisoned horse. Due to Ala Singh’s loyalty to Ahmed Shah Abdali, he was given land, elephants, horses, camels, cannons, jewelery, and plenty of cash. Due to the support from Abdali, Ala Singh conquered lands of Samana, Barnala, and founded Longowal. On March 29, 1761, Ala Singh paid five lakhs to Abadali and recognized as the ruler of the territories, which were 326 towns and villages.

upload_2017-5-20_8-46-20.png

The first Ghalughara of the Sikhs happened during the waning years of the Mughal Empire. This massacre is known as the Chhotaa Ghallughraa, the “lesser holocaust or massacre”. As such, it is distinguished from the waddaa Ghalughara, The Second Sikh Holocaust (1762), and the more recent carnage of the 1980s and 90s, which has also come to be known as Ghalughara.

The second Ghallughara called the Wadda (major) Ghallughara (|Holocaust) occurred on 5th February 1762 at a place named Kup Rahira, located approximately 12 Km north of Malerkotla in the Punjab state of India.

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Wadda_Ghalughara

20000-50000 Sikhs died fighting the Afghans and protecting women and children during the holocaust. They sought refuge from Maharaja Ala Singh since he was a Sikh. However, being a true sellout he refused (although he also didn't kill them). As a result of this actions, he was thrown out of the Khalsa and also invited the anger of Abdali.

Ala Singh presented himself in the Shah's camp, was ordered to shave off his head and beard. This he declined to do and offered instead to pay a sum of one and a quarter lakh of rupees. The Shah accepted the money but had him taken to Lahore where he secured his freedom by paying another five lakh of rupees.

Attached Files:

19. Project Dharma

Another feather in the cap of Maharajas of Patiala :laugh: Raja Karam Singh is another of his ancestors and killed 30000 Sikh Nihangs.

upload_2017-5-20_8-55-0.png

After defeat of Khalsa against British, Jathedar decided to re-group nihang singh fauj against the Britishers at the Patiala Chauni. Raja Karam Singh was ruler of Patiala and other Malwa Kingdom was in alliance with British. There were strict orders to shoot Nihangs on sight. When Jathedar Hanuman Singh arrived at Patiala, Raja Karam Singh launched an cannon attack on Nihangs, in which around 32,000 nihang singhs were killed. Rest were forced to move to the forests nearby. Hanuman Singh and around 500 Nihang warriors survived this attack, and continued to fight the heavy cannon fire of the British, with swords, bows and arrows, axes and matchlock fire.

Neil, Zero-Sum-Game, Krusty and 3 others like this.
  20. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

Keep up this thread, Its worth posting ..

captscooby81 and Project Dharma like this.
  21. Vayuputra

Vayuputra Regular Member

Indians must know that part of sikhs, the mahars ( clan of BR ambedkar ) and Scindias sided with the british in 1857, in the sepoy mutiny --or war of independence.