Indian students rank 2nd last in global test

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

India ranked second last among the 73 countries that participated in a programme conducted annually to evaluate education systems worldwide by OECD.

http://toi.in/faNqIY

That the Indian education system is flawed was known. But it was this bad is a surprise.

Mr Sibal, do something about this than cut out sources of information.

3. tiranga

tiranga Tihar Jail Banned

Im-pah-sibbal :lol: I think this is just a poor joke, I mean seriously?? who was the drunk idiot who did this survey??

4. nitesh

nitesh Mob Control Manager Stars and Ambassadors

Exactly, I echo yo9ur words Tiranga, this is heights of ................ :D

5. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

We'd be first if it came to mugging up Math.

6. pankaj nema

pankaj nema Senior Member Senior Member

Hell with such tests Just picking up random students from random schools doesnt prove anything

The 15 students must be from some stupid government school where are no proper facilities

And the performance of JUST 15 students has concluded that India's education system in which there
    are MILLIONS of students is of no use

Why dont we ask these same students of other countries who topped these tests to take up IIT JEE some
    years later

Virendra and balai_c like this.
  7. tiranga

tiranga Tihar Jail Banned

Stop giving attention to these so called "surveys" , the other day they only did a survey of 10 rural Indians and declared India's IQ as 80... I mean, its ok ,Gandhiji said that India heart resides in its villages, but he never said the same for brains... I am pretty sure these chimps went to some remote bihari or UP school to take the test.. lol a very very poor joke...

8. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

The issue is were these students selected after an all India test or selected because they were well connected and in a dire need of a junket?

W.G.Ewald and Nagraj like this.
  9. balai_c

balai_c Regular Member

Agreed. India has been doing very well in Math or other science Olympiads,with minimum to non-existent government assistance. The takeaway from this stupid survey is that the schooling standard of an average Indian is bad.

10. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Yes they must have picked up students from random government schools and majority of the kids go to govt schools only.

No need to take it as a media ploy to show India in bad light. We do well in Math and science Olympiad but then they are from the creamy layer of modern urban public schools probably convents. Every year in bangalore atleast the sorry figures of students performance in govt schools is published. There is no doubt that the education system sucks in India and that the teeming millions don't go to good schools.

balai_c likes this.
  11. Mr.Ryu

Mr.Ryu Regular Member

The winner may be from Brilla school or IIM IIT's what about the student in my Rs.Puram Government High school ?? who will represent them ??

If they level of top is this what is the level of bottom

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
    Nagraj likes this.
  12. SpArK

SpArK SORCERER Senior Member

They mus have carefully compiled the worst performers and send them to China as a punishment.

The best of the schools have always kept high standards.

In short the test is nothing but something that gives the Chinese kids some mental satisfaction for further studies.

balai_c likes this.
  13. sehwag1830

sehwag1830 Tihar Jail Banned

what is totally hilarious is that China wormed in with only Shanghai as a sample (and no doubt some carefully selected schools) to preserve its H&D as the 'top dog' in the rankings a whole new literal meaning to the 'shanghai stats' joke

14. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Were they from Balmukund High School, Kiomandi, Ambarsar?

One of my unit Adjutant was from this school and that is why I was wondering! :rofl:

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  15. Naren1987

Naren1987 Regular Member

Very smart, Mr Sibal, promoting students without evaluations, keep up the good work.

16. Naren1987

Naren1987 Regular Member

I don't think these low scores can be explained away only as a result of poor funding for schools, China has done pretty well in these scores, but I know I'll be in deep S***t for suggesting a solution for this problem.

Nagraj likes this.
  17. p2prada

p2prada Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Our students are not trained for these type of competitions. So, it is obvious they will lose. Picking the best student who does academic based math and science and scores 90%+ will never beat a student who is taught to apply it in real life. I bet 12 std students in the US will know more about cars than our professional car mechanics.

The western world and most other societies have reformed their schools to keep up with time. We don't have the will to do the same. The only syllabus worth it's name in India is the ICSE system, everything else is junk in it's purest form. But even ICSE cannot keep up with western schools.

Bring bigger fields like engineering into the picture and our students will do worse.

lemontree and Nagraj like this.
  18. ice berg

ice berg Senior Member Senior Member

" The survey is based on two-hour tests that half a million students are put through."

Tamil Nadu and Himachal, showpieces of India's education and development, fared miserably at the Programme for International Student Asssment, conducted by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development Secretariat.

Judging from your reading skills, I say the survey is spot on. :lol:

On a serious note, as far as I know this is the first time India participate in the survey? I am sure it will be better in the future.

19. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

This is a Bulls shit test, most of the moronic Chinese "LOL" members hardly speak any english and how on earth can they be compared to us? They faked this test just as usual. Everything is staged in China and their own people know it.

What retard took this test anyway? This is some bogus set up test, yes we may not be good in Math because Math teachers are very scary and they abuse children if they dont do well, probably because of that the children may be lagging in math.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  20. ice berg

ice berg Senior Member Senior Member

Now you sound like a sore loser. :rofl:

It is about India, try not to drag China into this.

Nice chick on your avatar btw. :cool2:

21. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

They should just ban bad news in India, just as in China. That way we can have some peace of mind, what sort of an moronic test is this? Did they test all the worse schools in India?