Indian students in US radio-tagged; angry govt says remove it Read more: Indian stud

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
When I first saw the pictures of this tag on the leg (the view was focussed on the ankle), I thought it was an environmental programme showing some large bird having been electronically tagged for scientific purposes.

It was later I realised that they were human beings.

It is disgraceful on the face of it.

However, the twist to the story is that this is an illegal immigration racket, run by the Chinese lady who owns the so called college.

Now, if it is an illegal immigration racket, the chaps can flee and vanish into the surroundings. Therefore, maybe the US policy demands electronic tagging.

Maybe the tags could be less prominent so that it is not degrading and humiliating, more so, when the case is still ongoing and people have not been sentenced as criminals.

Yet what is surprising is that this so called college is on the US list of accredited colleges!!

Thus, one would not be wrong to imagine that the US monitoring of legitimate colleges is worse that our AICTE or whatever it is called.

Has the Woman who ran this college been arrested or tagged?

She is the one who has good reasons to vanish into thin air.

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

'Sham' US university blames Indian staffer for immigration fraud

WASHINGTON: As radio-tagging of scores of Indian students duped by a "sham" US university continues to cause anger back home, the controversial institute has claimed that one of its Indian-origin staff was responsible for the immigration fraud and it was not directly involved in it.

Breaking its silence, the California-based Tri Valley University (TVU), which was shut down last month, termed as "baseless" the allegations of immigration fraud against the institute and claimed that it had not duped any student.

The US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) brought "this baseless allegation and put a red-tape in the school operation for a federal investigation, causing hundreds of students to withdraw from classes (and) many instructors requested to quit teaching for the current term.

Also, it caused a profitable university operation to quickly sink into negative in financial debt," Susan Su, President and founder of the TVU, said in an email to PTI.

"Starting in April, one of student assistants Anji Reddy, who worked in TVU administrative office, teamed with another student Ram Krista Karra, who also has a consultant company, conducting a large cheating scheme by asking students to make tuition payment into Ram Krista Karra's personal account in exchange for student I-20 and CPT approval. TVU has fired these two individuals," the email said.

The complaint against TVU before the ICE was made by these two, Su claimed.

Hundreds of Indian students were facing deportation and their academic career was in limbo due to the closure of the university by the ICE. Many of them were also forced to wear radio collars around their ankles so that US authorities can keep track of their movements.

India has taken up the matter with the US State Department and other concerned US officials, asking them to ensure that none of the Indian students is victimised.

External affairs minister S M Krishna termed the radio-tagging of the students as an "inhuman act" and demanded severe action against those responsible.

US State Department spokesman P J Crowley has, however, said ankle monitors are used across the US as part of a standard procedure for a variety of investigation and that this does not necessarily imply guilt or suspicion of criminal activity.

The US has taken very seriously the alleged immigration scam of Tri Valley University in California, which has mainly affected Indian students, he told reporters yesterday.

"We take these allegations of immigration and visa fraud very seriously. These allegations are an excellent example of the universally damaging effects of visa fraud," he said.

Crowley said the ICE has established a helpline for the Indian students affected by the closure of the university.

"Those who are involved in this investigation have been issued ankle monitors. This is widespread across the United States and standard procedure for a variety of investigations. It does not necessarily imply guilt or suspicion of criminal activity," he said.

"But we are following this case closely. We are in regular communication with officials of the Government of India. DHS (Department of Homeland Security) and ICE are leading this investigation, and that's about all I can say at this point," he said in response to a question.

According to a federal complaint, the university helped foreign nationals illegally acquire immigration status.

In the email and an attached document running into eight pages, Su claimed the TVU had not charged money from students for visa-related documents. And only 140 students out if its nearly 5,500 students had TVU I-20.

"Please see the attached TVU defend, and spread the truth, to put an end of this 'sham' investigation!" she said.

The statement that Department of Homeland Security approved TVU's I-17 applications which contained false statements and misrepresentations is wrong, she said.

There was no immediate response from ICE on the claims made by Su.

Su claimed that TVU is a Student and Exchange Visitor Programme (SEVP)-verified and approved legitimate School that can admit international students.

TVU charged same fee with qualified international students as it did with US students to register in its classes and study its material, she said.

Accusing the ICE of levying false charges against her university, Su said it was a "sham" claim and added that it was Reddy who cheated the students and charged money for I-20 and CPT approvals.

The federal authorities should apologise for such a "serious" mistake, "repay for the damage done to the university and the founder Dr Susan Su's name and reputation," the e-mail said.

Every day in the past two weeks, the university has been receiving refund claim of USD 300,000 per day.

Responding to allegations that hundreds of students having the same residential address in an apartment in California, Su claimed that this was done without her knowledge by ABS Consultant firm; which was responsible for all the international students of the university.

According to the email, TVU signed a contract with ABS that they will receive 20 per cent of each international student's tuition fee as the referral fee, and their responsibility would include recruiting, referring students, VISA interview consultant, status change consultant, reinstatement consultant as well as airport pickup and accommodation.

TVU's first hundred of international students were all taken care of by ABS consultancy. In the admission form, all these students gave the California address of ABS consultancy.

"When students arrive in California, they are picked up by ABS consultancy, temporarily stay with them for a couple of days. ABS then arrange them to stay at an apartment in the same complex which ABS rents and charges the student for rental fee," said the email.

In fact, Su claimed, the TUV administration office wrote numerous DMV (Department of Motor Vehicle) verification letters to different states stating that the students' residence is in a different state but they are attending classes over here.

Friend

I wasnt against the tags but this infuriates me!!!!

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/radio-tags-are-modern-and-trendy-us-official/142104-3.html
Radio tags are modern and trendy: US official
CNN-IBN
Updated Feb 01, 2011 at 07:45pm IST

Hyderabad: The United States has defended the radio tagging of Indian students at the Tri Talley University by the authorities. A consulate official on Tuesday in a bizzare description said the radio tagging was 'trendy' and certainly preferable to wearing jump suits and sitting in prison.

"There is an investigation going on right now. We take fraud very seriously in US particularly education fraud. Education is important for all of us and we would not like to see that anyone is defrauded and not gets a degree or perhaps someone is enrolled falsely for a reason like that. Let me tell you a lot of celebrities, drunk driving and all that; do you think they sit in prison, no, no, no. This is very modern and trendy, just like stars in Hollywood," said US Consulate Public Affairs Officer Juliet Wurr.

The students on the other hand are saying that they are the victims in this case and not fraudsters. They are expressing grave uncertainties about their future.

Last edited by a moderator:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
India to take up dubious university issue with US

New Delhi, Feb 1 (IANS) With the radio tagging of Indian students duped by a fake university in San Francisco triggering outrage in India, External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Tuesday said New Delhi will ask Washington how such a 'dubious' institute was allowed to function.

'We will be taking it up with the educational authorities in the US as how it allowed the university to function, how it was allowed to dupe gullible Indian students,' Krishna said, terming the Tri-Valley University as 'dubious'.

Krishna, however, sought to cool the tempers in India, saying the matter related to only '12 to 18 students' out of 108,000 Indian students studying in the US.

'Well, let us understand one thing. There are about 1.8 lakh Indian students in the United States of America. And we are now talking about these 12 or 18 students who have been subjected to this treatment,' Krishna said when asked about the tagging of Indian students.

'I would appeal to the people of the country, and to the media in particular, that we should look at it in the larger perspective of these one lakh and odd Indian students who are pursuing their studies in various universities,' he said.

Some 1,555 students of Tri-Valley University, 90 percent of them from India and mostly from Andhra Pradesh, face the prospect of deportation following the closure of the Pleasanton-based university on charges of selling student visas.

Earlier, Krishna strongly condemned the radio tagging of Indian students. The practice was 'inhuman', he said and demanded that the US government 'initiate severe action against those officials responsible for this inhuman act'.

'Indian students are not criminals. The radio collars should immediately be removed,' Krishna said in Bangalore Sunday.

The US has, however, vigorously defended the radio tagging of Indian students, saying the practice was a 'standard procedure' for a variety of investigations.

'Use of ankle monitors is widespread across the United States and standard procedure for a variety of investigations, and does not necessarily imply guilt or suspicion of criminal activity,' the US embassy here said in a statement Monday.

Sify

JayATL

I wasnt against the tags but this infuriates me!!!!

Radio tags are modern and trendy: US official
CNN-IBN
Updated Feb 01, 2011 at 07:45pm IST

Hyderabad: The United States has defended the radio tagging of Indian students at the Tri Talley University by the authorities. A consulate official on Tuesday in a bizzare description said the radio tagging was 'trendy' and certainly preferable to wearing jump suits and sitting in prison.

"There is an investigation going on right now. We take fraud very seriously in US particularly education fraud. Education is important for all of us and we would not like to see that anyone is defrauded and not gets a degree or perhaps someone is enrolled falsely for a reason like that. Let me tell you a lot of celebrities, drunk driving and all that; do you think they sit in prison, no, no, no. This is very modern and trendy, just like stars in Hollywood," said US Consulate Public Affairs Officer Juliet Wurr.

The students on the other hand are saying that they are the victims in this case and not fraudsters. They are expressing grave uncertainties about their future.
Lindsay Lohan has one too. so did Paris hilton. they preferred it to sitting in jail. shit I would too ;)

warriorextreme

Country flag
Lindsay Lohan has one too. so did Paris hilton. they preferred it to sitting in jail. shit I would too ;)
yeah but Indian students cant be compared to these douschebags..
one day all these universities will open their branches in india and then it will cause more unemployment in USA :lol:

S.A.T.A

Radio tags may be the hottest tend in Hollywood and perhaps would have been even appealing so long as you are surrounded by paparazzi's and everyone recognizes you as one those creatures,everyone one in this worlds loves to hate,called 'celebrities'.To the rest,like those students,wearing the hitch anklet sets them apart as criminals monitored by law enforcement agencies,no body stops to ask if they are wearing it because they have indirectly become accomplices to an all American scam.

Mere suspicion of the spurious nature of the university does not make the students guilty of being partners in crime,many of them, if not most them,perhaps didn't even know how this whole setup works,thus becoming easy victims.The fact here was an 'American university' allowed to legally solicit students enrollment in India,presumably following all necessary rigorous legal-immigration procedures,an enabling them to travel to USA and study there.there is no other way of looking at it other than that it was scam willfully visited upon the Indian students by the American university and hence American authorities had no reason to treat them or monitor them as criminals.

S.A.T.A

@JayaATL

it perhaps could be that your lack of perspective is due to your self claimed long absence from India,which unfortunately has perhaps kept you divorced from the many political discourse that exist in India.Perhaps you need to 'read up' more on them,that would be a more fruitful pursuit.Furthermore of need any clarification on my ideological mooring,send me a private message and i shall be glad to clarify them for you,don't derail the thread with silly indulgences.

Last edited by a moderator:

JayATL

Radio tags may be the hottest tend in Hollywood and perhaps would have been even appealing so long as you are surrounded by paparazzi's and everyone recognizes you as one those creatures,everyone one in this worlds loves to hate,called 'celebrities'.To the rest,like those students,wearing the hitch anklet sets them apart as criminals monitored by law enforcement agencies,no body stops to ask if they are wearing it because they have indirectly become accomplices to an all American scam.

Mere suspicion of the spurious nature of the university does not make the students guilty of being partners in crime,many of them, if not most them,perhaps didn't even know how this whole setup works,thus becoming easy victims.The fact here was an 'American university' allowed to legally solicit students enrollment in India,presumably following all necessary rigorous legal-immigration procedures,an enabling them to travel to USA and study there.there is no other way of looking at it other than that it was scam willfully visited upon the Indian students by the American university and hence American authorities had no reason to treat them or monitor them as criminals.
First- these students knew it was scam. You can repeat they did not 100 times, but they did. there were students among them who were working in different states ( under the table) while continuing to show this university to be their residence. second , not being aware of the law is not an excuse -. I know it sounds bad, but saying " oops, I did not know I could not park there because I never saw the red Flag" = not an excuse in a court of law.

second- you have the option like every other illegal immigrant to be sent to jail while awaiting the outcome or wear a tag that you can cover with a pair of long jeans ( it's bloody cold this time of year anyways). My choice and I'm sure theirs is to not sit in jail!

Third- citing this case as some mere hair brain suspicion in the way you have depicted it- shows you did not read the article or follow it in its entirety. no problem- I'll wait till do so.

Lastly- I maybe completely wrong here and have mis-read you . But do you not follow the philosophy of the Shiv Sena movement?. If you do not, I sincerely apologize, I misread your politics. If I did happen to read you correctly, then how do you justify following a philosophy that is based on favoritism towards one group in India ( exclusive in nature ) and this very inclusive attitude you subtly try to portray on this issue on the US?

Logic here being - how can one ask the US to be so liberal and all inclusive in its policies when, again I preface it, IF you do follow the shiv Sena principles, it has such racists ones- kind hypocritical to comment on US actions in this case ?

Last edited:

sandeepdg

I still don't like the idea of students being radio tagged ! But also, from what I read is that though a majority of them were ignorant about US immigration laws and the antecedents of the institute, but there were many among who say this as an easy way to get settled in USA, even though they had some idea that what they were doing was illegal. Also, those students who claimed to be ignorant, I don't understand why these fools didn't do any research before falling for this sham institute ! I get that a person willing to study and get employed in the US, are literate enough to use the internet and learn about the country and institute they are visiting as well as get some lowdown on the laws of the land. Also, it seems the Chinese are spreading their scam tainted business practices in the US too ! :)

Oracle

First- these students knew it was scam. You can repeat they did not 100 times, but they did. there were students among them who were working in different states ( under the table) while continuing to show this university to be their residence. second , not being aware of the law is not an excuse -. I know it sounds bad, but saying " oops, I did not know I could not park there because I never saw the red Flag" = not an excuse in a court of law.

second- you have the option like very other illegal immigrant to be sent to jail while the awaiting the outcome or wear a tag that you can cover with a pair of long jeans ( it's bloody cold this time of year anyways). My choice and I'm sure theirs is not sit in jail!

Lastly- I maybe completely wrong here and have mis-read you . But do you not follow the philosophy of the Shiv Sena movement?. If you do not, I sincerely apologize, I misread your politics. If I did happen to read you correctly, then how do you justify following a philosophy that is based on favoritism towards one group in India ( exclusive in nature ) and this very inclusive attitude you subtly try to portray on this issue on the US?

I have said ( above)I don't like the tagging of boys but I try to be reasonable and see what is behind it ...
Where the hell does Shiv Sena come from every time? Talk on the topic. Shoot the post and not the poster!

warriorextreme

Country flag

second- you have the option like very other illegal immigrant to be sent to jail while the awaiting the outcome or wear a tag that you can cover with a pair of long jeans ( it's bloody cold this time of year anyways). My choice and I'm sure theirs is not sit in jail!

Third- citing this case as some mere hair brain suspicion in the way you have depicted it- shows you did not read the article or follow it in its entirety. no problem- I'll wait till do so.

Lastly- I maybe completely wrong here and have mis-read you . But do you not follow the philosophy of the Shiv Sena movement?. If you do not, I sincerely apologize, I misread your politics. If I did happen to read you correctly, then how do you justify following a philosophy that is based on favoritism towards one group in India ( exclusive in nature ) and this very inclusive attitude you subtly try to portray on this issue on the US? Logic here being - how come one ask the US to be so liberal and all inclusive in its policies when, again I preface it, IF you do follow the shiv sena principles, it has such racists ones?
If US government is aware of such illegal immigrations then why does it give visas to such students in first place,to bring them to USA and then humiliate them??
i would like to know if this university is closed yet or not?
what happened to those who run this scam?

JayATL

If US government is aware of such illegal immigrations then why does it give visas to such students in first place,to bring them to USA and then humiliate them??
i would like to know if this university is closed yet or not?
what happened to those who run this scam?
they did not know. when they found out, I bet it took a few months to build a case and then they busted it. Yeah , it is closed for admission :) BUT I'll sponsor you :D

Oracle

Why are we so surprised if a scam has broken up in USA? World economy crumbled in 2008 because of the Americans. They are the root-cause of all evil that we witness nowadays. US is better alone, and we Indians too are better alone.

S.A.T.A

suspecting the dodgy nature of an educational institutions is not crime in itself,especially if you are an Indian living in India,aspiring to have an education abroad.These students traveled on the valid documents attested to their validity by the American embassy,surely treating them as illegal immigrants on the face of it is discriminatory.

P.S:JayaATL you are Pakistani why are you bothered with this

Oracle

suspecting the dodgy nature of an educational institutions is not crime in itself,especially if you are an Indian living in India,aspiring to have an education abroad.These students traveled on the valid documents attested to their validity by the American embassy,surely treating them as illegal immigrants on the face of it is discriminatory.

Thanks S.A.T.A for this. I infact wanted to make it clear to posters in here. You won hands down!

warriorextreme

Country flag
they did not know. when they found out, I bet it took a few months to build a case and then they busted it. Yeah , it is closed for admission :) BUT I'll sponsor you :D
is this college accredited by US government?
if it is then i totally doubt american system now

JayATL

They traveled to an illegal institution based on fraudulently submitted paper= making the whole travel illegal. It's okay many a common thinkers fall for the BUT they were allowed a visa to come in.

not sure how the esteemed maratha came up with the the conclusion I'm a Pakistani. I seem to have rattled you a bit. Is that the new shiv sena policy in BOMBAY ! amche marathi and amche mumbai else mia bhai pakistani? tsk tsk... and you comment on liberties.

JayATL

is this college accredited by US government?
if it is then i totally doubt american system now
I would too doubt it. nothing is full proof. The US has it's fair share of monumental scams! the odds are it won't be that rampant.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ok boys knock it off. I think a mature discussion can be expected here. Use the PM option to get any personal info.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles