Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Some new info on the construct of the MOD's Special Forces division

" the Special Operations Division will be based outside the national capital. The Special Operations Division will have components of the Special Forces of the Army, Navy and IAF, and will be equipped and trained together for various external contingencies. The Army currently has Special Forces battalions, Navy has Marine Commandos (Marcos) and IAF has Garud. This division, which will be based at a location which already has training infrastructure, will have two SF battalions at its core, along with teams from Marcos and Garud, sources explained."

http://indianexpress.com/article/in...r-space-special-operations-divisions-4892404/

So again. Nothing to do with a SOCOM. this will be almost a brand new unit building up strength from existing resources and will have its own tasking. Current SOF units (bulk off) will continue to remain outside this structure and will have their own tasking.

So essentially we will be replicating budget here. Budget for SFF, SF, MARCOS, Garud + a budget for SFD. so instead of reducing inefficiencies we could be adding a whole new layer of bureaucracy?!

Also wonder how the intel set up will function. Intel will be fed to the SFD and then the same intel will be fed to each one of the service units seperately?
My concern is that is it a training detachment that it will be based out of the capital and at a location where there is training infrastructure?

I don't agree that this is a step backwards, in fact it is very much in the right direction and will, eventually, lead to a SOCOM albeit that seems like a very distant prospect at this point and will require FAR more intensive reforms than this govt has shown the b@lls to undertake (despite their rhetoric). A SOD is just a piecemeal effort to show progress without actually enforcing any- it basically is a PR stunt.

But there is precedent, IMHO the SOD will be akin to the US's JSOC (joint special operations command) a very impressive command which encompasses all "tier one" units of the US (Delta, Seal Team six etc). The Indian SOD will not be as comprehensive (only select teams from all 3 SFs will rotate through it) but it is certainly positive to be institusionalising the "jointmanship" between these three units and hopefully this will lead to bigger and better things.

We can only dream of the day a fully fledged SOCOM with its own budget, support (including aviation) and infrastructure is created, surely it is not going to be for decades yet.

I thought such a detachment would be in action and conducting ops all over the country.
No mention of NSG?
The situation you and me are talking about if ever happens again will be dealt with 2-3 SF.

NSG are still India's premier anti-Hijacking force and in fact this is almost entirely a police/intervention force mission- it's actually not true that any US military unit is tasked with this. If it came to it the US would employ the FBI HRT to take down a plane on foreign soil, just like India would use the NSG (and was prepared to do in for IC 184). The FBI HRT has actually operated outside of the US and is often attached to US SOFs on foreign tours.

There is no reason for the NSG to be under a MOD SOCOM or SOD, this was a silly idea mooted a while ago. The NSG has a very specific and limited mission profile and has no business mixing with military units primarily focused on external missions.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
NSG are still India's premier anti-Hijacking force and in fact this is almost entirely a police/intervention force mission- it's actually not true that any US military unit is tasked with this. If it came to it the US would employ the FBI HRT to take down a plane on foreign soil, just like India would use the NSG (and was prepared to do in for IC 184). The FBI HRT has actually operated outside of the US and is often attached to US SOFs on foreign tours.

There is no reason for the NSG to be under a MOD SOCOM or SOD, this was a silly idea mooted a while ago. The NSG has a very specific and limited mission profile and has no business mixing with military units primarily focused on external missions.
So what is the purpose of this new formation?

To train Garuds and Marcos with the lessons learnt in Kashmir?

And be a unit like SFF which didnt see action?

NSG are currently training for anti maoist ops.NSG are the only a/c hijacking force.NSG are the best hostage rescue force and if there will be any operation involving rescuing civilians the NSG would be called.

So if NSG doesnt have to be part of this new detachment i can assure you that in the next 10 years if god forbid there is a attack like we have been seeing since 1980s the new detachment wont be doing anything.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
And what sort of foreign ops will it do as Garuds and Marcos are "incapable" of storming a aircraft.Para who were NSG could 'try'.

Rescuing civilians is also the best with NSG.

We dont do black ops in far away lands like the USA.

For our neighbouring small nations we already have the Para Brigade in Agra which is much capable than this new formation can ever be...dont be offended the brigade is a mini army!!!!!!

Immanuel

Country flag
So Your Work With them in LAB Which is Basically Research & development facility Of DRDO o_Oo_O

May I Ask In Which Lab Do you Employed there DRDL, DLRL,DMRL, RCI , ASL ??

Secondly Network is Domain of NTRO not R&AW

Do you Even Know What RAW is capable of With there Own Operators About Blabbering details.
Let me give u Hint

RAW is Effectively puts Eye on it employees Even on their families Deeply .One BAD move Will Cost you alot
So I am assure they will Not Risk of Leak unless there Is a Big Catch
I work for a DRDO lab that has to interact with various user communities including RAW though NTRO sets many of our high level requirements and guidelines, we regularly have to interact with various nodes in all 3 services, especially with IAF now when it comes to inducting new platforms which need local components and avionics outside CISMOA. Can't tell you for which Lab I work for. I know my entire family tree is watched carefully by RAW. As far as RAW's ops are concerned, I am fully aware of what their capabilities are.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

The reason i always said 'Patka ' is best suited for CT ops ..

piKacHHu

Country flag
I work for a DRDO lab that has to interact with various user communities including RAW though NTRO sets many of our high level requirements and guidelines, we regularly have to interact with various nodes in all 3 services, especially with IAF now when it comes to inducting new platforms which need local components and avionics outside CISMOA. Can't tell you for which Lab I work for. I know my entire family tree is watched carefully by RAW. As far as RAW's ops are concerned, I am fully aware of what their capabilities are.
You stretched it a bit too far. RAW is an external intelligence agency. Generally for scientific staff from defense or nuclear establishment, background checks & periodic surveillance are done by I.B. through vigilance dept. Indian defense estt is too diversified to let you keep whole lot of strategic information under your control. You won't be under constant surveillance of RAW or I.B unless you have secret nuclear codes of strategic assets!

WARREN SS

Country flag
You stretched it a bit too far. RAW is an external intelligence agency. Generally for scientific staff from defense or nuclear establishment, background checks & periodic surveillance are done by I.B. through vigilance dept. Indian defense estt is too diversified to let you keep whole lot of strategic information under your control. You won't be under constant surveillance of RAW or I.B unless you have secret nuclear codes of strategic assets!
Don't Ruin the fun he was Giving it away

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There is a reason Patka offer limited protection, Its mainly due to trade-off between protection and weight, There are helmets which offer protection against 7.62x39mm but are nearly 2-2.5kgs heavy ..

SM group was working on a helmet which use boron carbide and promised to be lighter but never worked in real conditions, This one though was 1.5kgs and protected from only 9x19mm rounds, Inferior to what MKU was offering with its lighter bolt-less helmets.

All these cool looking helmets are vulnerable to 7.62x39mm at any ranges ..

Are there no helmets that can provide full protection against standard firearms used by terrorist?

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Parachute field regiment (Artillery) 50th (independent) Para brigade.
50वीं (स्वतंत्र) छाताधारी ब्रिगेड

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
They jump from an aircraft into enemy territory with a Tavor and...

FIELD GUNS.

Last edited:

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag

The soldier wearing this died from a neck wound, unfortunately, however it protected his forehead from what I am going to guess from an AK..

aditya g

Country flag
Thanks. What is the orbat of this brigade?

Ps: their unit emblem is very similar to air india logo :biggrin2:

Parachute field regiment (Artillery) 50th (independent) Para brigade.
50वीं (स्वतंत्र) छाताधारी ब्रिगेड

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Thanks. What is the orbat of this brigade?

Ps: their unit emblem is very similar to air india logo :biggrin2:
This brigade doesn't come under any command and reports directly to the Chief.

2 Para units.
1 SF Para unit.
1 Field Ambulance
1 Sappers
1 Ordnance
1 ASC
2 Field Workshop units
1 Air defence
1 Arty
1 Signals
Presidents Bodyguard

Last edited: