Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

singhboy98

Country flag
Sirji You have grossly misinterpreted this post.

I didnt talk of viability at all.I said liking or preference.

You could like Dominos and i could like Pizza Hut but it doesnt affect the viability of either! :)
Oh. In that case, sincere apologies indeed. On a side note though, I was genuinely curious about the "likeablity" of the Tavor within the SF vis-a-vis, say, the AK series, M-4 etc.

aditya g

Country flag
2002/06/20 - MARCOS encounter in J&K.

Notice how the team was "attached" to 15 RR. This is the same model the garuds are trying to follow i hope. Also, how they had access to NVDs way before the Army.

WARREN SS

Country flag
:rofl:cyber division of ISI will make me disappear?? Don't have contacts in IB but well in MI and RAW. As said before for work I have to deal with them, I work in the field of networks and interoperability for a classifed lab at kanchanbaug, now don't make me explain where it is or what is significant about that area.
So Your Work With them in LAB Which is Basically Research & development facility Of DRDO o_Oo_O

May I Ask In Which Lab Do you Employed there DRDL, DLRL,DMRL, RCI , ASL ??

Secondly Network is Domain of NTRO not R&AW

Do you Even Know What RAW is capable of With there Own Operators About Blabbering details.
Let me give u Hint

RAW is Effectively puts Eye on it employees Even on their families Deeply .One BAD move Will Cost you alot
So I am assure they will Not Risk of Leak unless there Is a Big Catch

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
2002/06/20 - MARCOS encounter in J&K.

Notice how the team was "attached" to 15 RR. This is the same model the garuds are trying to follow i hope. Also, how they had access to NVDs way before the Army.

I may be wrong here...

But Marcos were attached to RR units firstly coz of food and lodging requirements as Navy had no base in Kashmir.

So they got attached to 15 corps which took care of all of this.

Secondly,if i am not wrong again since the last 10 years or so they are operating independently.

Feel free to correct me.

aditya g

Country flag
We just don't know what arrangement they have there. Wular lake is 15 RR AOR and possibly they report to RR CO, but may have their own admin setup colocated with RR HQ.

I would consider them independent if they fall directly under at least the RR sector commander.

Speaking of organization, what is the unit setup in MARCOS and Spl Group?

I may be wrong here...

But Marcos were attached to RR units firstly coz of food and lodging requirements as Navy had no base in Kashmir.

So they got attached to 15 corps which took care of all of this.

Secondly,if i am not wrong again since the last 10 years or so they are operating independently.

Feel free to correct me.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
We just don't know what arrangement they have there. Wular lake is 15 RR AOR and possibly they report to RR CO, but may have their own admin setup colocated with RR HQ.

I would consider them independent if they fall directly under at least the RR sector commander.

Speaking of organization, what is the unit setup in MARCOS and Spl Group?
Special group is organized like a Para SF unit.

Marcos..no idea.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Look the basics of a infantry battalion ie 100-120 men lead by a Capt or Major cannot be changed and can only be given a different name.And that is what it is here for operational purposes i think.

Squad Commander,troop commander and team commander is how he mentioned it.

Squad is 6 men like you said.Troop Commander maybe has few Squads under him and Team Commander even more.

Like i think Major Mike Tango would be the Troop Commander and a Junior Officer or a JCO/Subeidar rank could be the Squad commander and the Colonel would be the Team Commander.

Just an educated guess as i know for a fact that squad is lead by a JCO/Subeidar.

In the Infantry it is like Platoon,Section and Company.But there are not too many officers involved at lower levels like the SF!(who deploy lesser troops with more higher ranks)
A correction on this.

Team Commander is a Major who has few officers under him who are called Troop Commander.

Troop Commanders are Captains.

Squad commander is the guy who leads squads..JCO rank.(as mentioned)

abingdonboy

Country flag
So what about hundreds of articles claiming that it was their first operation?
I think some things have been conflated here. It's not claimed this was the FIRST OPERATION of the Garuds in J&K but that this was the FIRST exposure of the first batch of Garud trainees (inducted since August) in a real world op. As stated clearly- post-Pathankot the IAF has decided to make "live situational training" a mandatory 6 month module of the Garud training and this batch were the first to be sent to J&K after this decsion. It is NOT claimed that the Garuds (fully badged) have not operated in J&K before bro.

In fact, the Ajai Shukla article makes it clear that this was NOT the Garud's first op in J&K and that they have been operating there for over a decade now. The reason we don't hear about this too much straight from the Garuds themselves:

“We prefer to remain quiet about our operations in Kashmir and elsewhere”, says a Garud officer when asked for details.

So this isn't a case of Shukla being delusional, this is straight from the horse's mouth!

abingdonboy

Country flag
The Garuds were till now conducting the very role they were raised for ie guarding air assets.
But bro we know this is NOT their primary job, it has been stated again and again. They have an offensive role just like the other 2 SF units, they are tasked with some force protection duties but that is the exception not the norm.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
I think some things have been conflated here. It's not claimed this was the FIRST OPERATION of the Garuds in J&K but that this was the FIRST exposure of the first batch of Garud trainees (inducted since August) in a real world op. As stated clearly- post-Pathankot the IAF has decided to make "live situational training" a mandatory 6 month module of the Garud training and this batch were the first to be sent to J&K after this decsion. It is NOT claimed that the Garuds (fully badged) have not operated in J&K before bro.

In fact, the Ajai Shukla article makes it clear that this was NOT the Garud's first op in J&K and that they have been operating there for over a decade now. The reason we don't hear about this too much straight from the Garuds themselves:

“We prefer to remain quiet about our operations in Kashmir and elsewhere”, says a Garud officer when asked for details.

So this isn't a case of Shukla being delusional, this is straight from the horse's mouth!
Cmon bro you are manipulating the situaon like a good lawyer defending his client.Read this..

The IAF took the initiative to give more exposure to Garuds after the Pathankot strike.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...d-commandos/story-YxOvfnMX3QgGjM32jCBcNP.html

If the Garud were already active since 10 years and killed terrorist then why would AF decide to give them 'more' exposure?

The IAF’s Garud commando units consist of around 1,000 men who specialize in protecting vital assets of the air force such as fighter bases, aircraft and ammunition holding areas. The force is pursuing plans to expand the size of its commando wing.
This is always claimed by higher AF officer.

According to sources, following the terror attack at Pathankot Air Force Station in January 2016, the IAF decided to upgrade the training of its Garud commandos to be able to effectively tackle a jihadi terrorist threat and improve their security posture. As part of that plan, two squads of Garud commandos — of one officer and 13 air warriors each — were earmarked for on-the-job training with the Army.
If you read this with a neutral approach it is quite clear what it means bro.

The two squads currently operating with the Army in Kashmir are the first lot of Garuds undergoing this on-the-job training. This will be followed by the next batch of Garuds who will have a two-week overlap in the operational area with the current lot early next year.
The two squads currently operating with the Army in Kashmir are the first lot of Garuds undergoing this on-the-job training. This will be followed by the next batch of Garuds who will have a two-week overlap in the operational area with the current lot early next year.
http://kashmirlife.net/iaf-commando...ing-live-situation-training-with-army-153176/

They were posted at 12 Wing here for the past about two years and were part of the first batch of 30 Garud commandos sent on a six-month attachment with the Army to the Valley for what IAF officers term “live situational training.” The move to send IAF commandos on attachment for anti-terror experience is a fallout of the Pathankot airbase terror attack last year.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/ch...re-part-of-anti-terror-operations/481053.html

Live situational training” involves “on the job” training with the Garuds learning to combat militants in a real-life scenario, a concept that germinated in the aftermath of the Pathankot airbase attack in January 2016, after four heavily-armed Pakistan-trained terrorists infiltrated into the high-security airbase that is home to high-value IAF assets.
http://www.deccanchronicle.com/nati...lagers-security-forces-clash-post-attack.html

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/repor...-batch-to-get-live-situation-training-2552108

I think it is very clear in tens of article what the truth is.

Secondly,I would really like to know which two terrorists the Garuds killed(in the past) because as far as i know the Army was part of killing all the commanders.Now being part of Army ops and under the command of a Army officer to take the whole credit to yourself when there was a outer cordon laid by the RR,stratergy decided by the Para and maybe if they were a part of the op also to kill the terrorists and take the full credit is not right.

And everyone will agree that Garuds did not operate independently.

To say they were doing such ops since 2005 is laughable because till 2009-10 they were not even operational ready.They were undergoing a lot of training in this period and many of them were not good enough who subsequently got phased out.

Anyway,i am trying to make the situation clear to you otherwise there are some usernames on this thread who are very biased for Garuds on this forum and who are really partial.So,its hard to make things clear.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
When the PARAs helped NSG!!

So i came to know recently that this year due to surgical strikes it was decided that Para Commandos would not be present in Republic day parade.

So a decision had to be taken as to who would replace them and it was decided that NSG would be the best option.

Now NSG didn't have any experience of jogging in the parade and the co-ordination.

So,a Para officer or a drill sergeant was called and trained the NSG in the very style of parade the Para SF have been doing since a long time.

reddevil9

शत्रुजीत
NSG commando wearing Quarter zip combat shirt also called 1/4 Zip

=========
Staying cool and comfortable in the line of duty is essential for any military or tactical personnel, that's why Most Quarter zip combat shirts have :-

Loop on sleeve pockets for attaching rank and flag patches

Reinforced elbow patches

Underarm gusset to eliminate bulk and chafing

Two-way stretching material promotes mobility

Moisture wicking (depending on the shirt)

While the body of the shirt is moisture-wicking and breathable, the sleeves are ultra-aggressive and made with a tear-resistant weave with multiple reinforced pockets.

Last edited:

rkhanna

Country flag

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Hope this report by Ajit K Dubey lays the discussion on Garud deployment in J&K to rest.

View attachment 20933

View attachment 20932

@rkhanna @abingdonboy @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR @Immanuel @WARREN SS
So Garuds were raised in 2004 and deployed in 2005.Ok

How many were deployed since it takes 3 years for them to make a Garud?

Secondly,why were they removed shortly after being deployed?

This raises even a bigger doubt than of ever being deployed.

Since it can be only a small team they could have managed to deploy and that too for a limited time.

And they were not "fighting" naxals!!!!!

I dont wanna post about what happened in naxal ops..lets leave it there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles