Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

abingdonboy

Country flag

Members of 2nd Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne) and Indian Army Special Forces conduct combat water survival training at Soldiers Field House, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash., Jan. 19, 2016. (U.S. Army Photo by Staff Sgt. Sarah Jane Roberts)

abingdonboy

Country flag
self delete.....
................................................................................................

Bahamut

Please hid the faces of our SF operatives,there have been case were info on operatives have been leaked and their identity compromised and please do not tell about unit ,ISI or any other agency can use this info.

Nuvneet Kundu

Please hid the faces of our SF operatives,there have been case were info on operatives have been leaked and their identity compromised and please do not tell about unit ,ISI or any other agency can use this info.
It's getting annoying to hear this repeatedly. The general populace are simpletons who don't understand these things, but the administration does. The military must institute standard operating procedures that mention that classified information shall not be photographed in the first place, be it military installations, SF personnel or documents. One can't put the blame of innocuously sharing a photograph on the internet if the SF personnel had no qualms getting clicked. Stop blaming civilians for everything. This is between the army and the media to manage. The army should either come out with regulations that prohibit media from clicking such pictures or it should tell their operatives to cover up when they operate in areas where there might be cameras.

The people cannot be put into a guilt trap every time a photo shows up on the internet. We pay our taxes, we follow the rules, we get killed in bomb blasts, we put our heads down and weep in a corner, we've had enough. The army should step up and make amends to their SOP to eradicate this complacency instead of shaming people who are sharing the images out of a benign pride for their army.

Last edited:

Bahamut

It's getting annoying to hear this repeatedly. The general populace are simpletons who don't understand these things, but the administration does. The military must institute standard operating procedures that mention that classified information shall not be photographed in the first place, be it military installations, SF personnel or documents. One can't put the blame of innocuously sharing a photograph on the internet if the SF personnel had no qualms getting clicked. Stop blaming civilians for everything. This is between the army and the media to manage. The army should either come out with regulations that prohibit media from clicking such pictures or it should tell their operatives to cover up when they operate in areas where there might be cameras.

The people cannot be put into a guilt trap every time a photo shows up on the internet. We pay our taxes, we follow the rules, we get killed in bomb blasts, we put our heads down and weep in a corner, we've had enough. The army should step up and make amends to their SOP to eradicate this complacency instead of shaming people who are sharing the images out of a benign pride for their army.
They have started issuing instruction on cyberspace but we can at least make sure that in these photo they cannot be identified.Most of these photo are clicked as army maintains a record of what they are doing but it a long time to for army to talk about it and they are to be blamed but at least we can do a little thing and just make sure that we cover their faces ,basic Photoshop and do not give info like the unit or location. We must remember that it is our brave armed forces which come to our rescue and fight terrorist,they are more likely to die and they do not complain ,our media do not care about them but we at least as good citizen can do our bit .

Nuvneet Kundu

They have started issuing instruction on cyberspace but we can at least make sure that in these photo they cannot be identified.Most of these photo are clicked as army maintains a record of what they are doing but it a long time to for army to talk about it and they are to be blamed but at least we can do a little thing and just make sure that we cover their faces ,basic Photoshop and do not give info like the unit or location. We must remember that it is our brave armed forces which come to our rescue and fight terrorist,they are more likely to die and they do not complain ,our media do not care about them but we at least as good citizen can do our bit .
No one is contesting the fact that their identity needs to be protected the only reason I was miffed was because in this thread of 150+ pages, this same issue has been flagged thrice by different people. The first one was @abingdonboy I think. At that time itself we had gone through the whole range of options and come to the conclusion that even if we blur the image, some other media house will have already shared the original one already so the blurring becomes redundant. The fact is that once something is released on the internet, it is difficult to censor it, which is why it is the responsibility of the one who clicks those photos to ensure their safety. If the army can't maintain basic digital discipline themselves, how are they going to prevent foreign intel agencies from siphoning other data from them? We can't take the blame for everything. This is the digital age, they should act more responsible. We are doing our bit but if the army itself is callously releasing images on the open web, there is no amount of civilian blurring that can undo that error.

There is no need for forum members to bring up the same issue over and over again to put others in a guilt trap. Check the photo again, neither his face is visible nor his name plate is visible nor his unit name is mentioned. It's getting a bit annoying to read the same self-righteous comments below every post, no one here is a small kid; Everyone understands their responsibility.

I mean, come on man, the title of the thread says 'Indian special forces' what did you expect? It's going to have photos of Indian special forces. By your logic we should shut down the whole thread then. If a photo is available on the internet, one assumes that it has been released by the original owner after due diligence. This thread is just an archive of such pictures which were available in the public domain, we didn't climb the walls of army installations to click these pictures. First they carelessly release images then they complain that civilians are forgetting to blur it. :doh:

Last edited:

Bahamut

No one is contesting the fact that their identity needs to be protected the only reason I was miffed was because in this thread of 150+ pages, this same issue has been flagged thrice by different people. The first one was @abingdonboy I think. At that time itself we had gone through the whole range of options and come to the conclusion that even if we blur the image, some other media house will have already shared the original one already so the blurring becomes redundant. The fact is that once something is released on the internet, it is difficult to censor it, which is why it is the responsibility of the one who clicks those photos to ensure their safety. If the army can't maintain basic digital discipline themselves, how are they going to prevent foreign intel agencies from siphoning other data from them? We can't take the blame for everything. This is the digital age, they should act more responsible. We are doing our bit but if the army itself is callously releasing images on the open web, there is no amount of civilian blurring that can undo that error.

There is no need for forum members to bring up the same issue over and over again to put others in a guilt trap. Check the photo again, neither his face is visible nor his name plate is visible nor his unit name is mentioned. It's getting a bit annoying to read the same self-righteous comments below every post, no one here is a small kid; Everyone understands their responsibility.

I mean, come on man, the title of the thread says 'Indian special forces' what did you expect? It's going to have photos of Indian special forces. By your logic we should shut down the whole thread then. If a photo is available on the internet, one assumes that it has been released by the original owner after due diligence. This thread is just an archive of such pictures which were available in the public domain, we didn't climb the walls of army installations to click these pictures.
It is up to you ,just a suggestion,those who want follow can follow and those who do not want to follow ,do not follow.We are not small kid ,we know what is written in a public forum ,more then 75% of intel comes from careless thing on the public forum,let not try to spread that info.

Nuvneet Kundu

It is up to you ,just a suggestion,those who want follow can follow and those who do not want to follow ,do not follow.We are not small kid ,we know what is written in a public forum ,more then 75% of intel comes from careless thing on the public forum,let not try to spread that info.
If 75% of intel comes from public forums then one would expect the administration to have a much more robust SOP that trains people who handle such sensitive information not to leak it in the first place.

Bahamut

If 75% of intel comes from public forums then one would expect the administration to have a much more robust SOP that trains people who handle such sensitive information not to leak it in the first place.
Well I read multiple book about foreign intelligence and to trained person a simple photo can revel a lot ,so a little bit of Photoshop decrease a lot of info.If you do not want accept this fact ,I can do nothing about it.By the way the MoD is now coming up with more instruction about cyber warfare and cyber intelligence and it states that no personal is allowed to revel his/her location if posted in a sensitive area and not picture of combat gear. Are solider are being trained about it, it is late but until a few years cyber space was not talked about it but with recent spies episode,the emphases on cyber discipline will increase.

abingdonboy

Country flag
The Indian Mil has a very strong grip on its personel and issued a blanket ban even appearing in uniform on any social network to all its service members and monitors the web for any classified/sensitive info that is for sure. I can think of at least 2 second hand exmples of this.

HOWEVER, the Indian media are free to do as they like- clicking and posting at will with no regard for Op Sec. And the failing IS on successive GoIs, as per current rules the media are not doing anything wrong. In France it is illegal to publish the identities of any member of France's counter terror units (police and military) and this carries with it a large fine and possible prison sentance. India needs to grow up and enact a similar law, how long is it before the ISI start targetting India's tip of the spear (i'm sure they already are).

All I can say is THANK GOD the NSG takes this very seriously and refuses to divulge operation information or the personal details of their frontline operators, they are told strictly to keep their identities private, their faces covered and their jobs secret.

Unfortunately this is one unit, it needs to be institutionalised in an establshed framework. I couldn't beleive offical GoI entites were showing the picture of a Garud commander breifing the PM just hours after he was likely leading a CT operation in Pathankot, the mind boggles at the kind of disregard shown for national security.

Nuvneet Kundu

MARCOS on their new Zulu boats:

I tried googling for Zulu fast attack craft, Zulu patrol vessel and even Zulu boats, it doesn't show any search results. Who did we acquire these boats from? where can I read more about them?

abingdonboy

Country flag
MARCOS on their new Zulu boats:

I tried googling for Zulu fast attack craft, Zulu patrol vessel and even Zulu boats, it doesn't show any search results. Who did we acquire these boats from? where can I read more about them?
"Zulu" is not the name of these boats, it is the identifier/callsign of THAT boat:

These are pretty standard RHIBs (Rigid-Hull Inflatable Boat)

salute

"Zulu" is not the name of these boats, it is the identifier/callsign of THAT boat:

These are pretty standard RHIBs (Rigid-Hull Inflatable Boat)
do those boats got navigation or communication consoles behind front gunner,
@Nuvneet Kundu thats funny you tried to google 'zulu' boats. :laugh:

abingdonboy

Country flag
do those boats got navigation or communication consoles behind front gunner,
@Nuvneet Kundu thats funny you tried to google 'zulu' boats. :laugh:
They must do- you can see there is a radar mounted towards the bow of the ship and there are two stations- one for "driving" the boat, the other must be for navigation.

aditya g

Country flag
A relevant portion from Admiral Dhowan, CNS' interview to NDTV

NDTV: But you know, Sir, when we look back at 26/11 you have spoken about how the Navy realised that they had to reorient the role of the marine commandos, the MARCOS after what happened during the Mumbai attacks, where it was suggested that they could have done better
and they did not and you actually suggested that it was not their role at all. Now how do you see the role of marine commandos in anti terror operations? And I ask this because at this Fleet Review I was seeing some of the rehearsals and the pictures that have come out and I saw very, very dramatic images and we are going to play them out, of this underwater explosion, you have got these commandos coming onto the beach, they are armed and it all happens within 2-3 minutes. So talk a little about anti-terrorism strategy and how you see the marine commandos fitting into that and specially after the mistakes of 26/11.

Admiral Dhowan: Well the aspect is that the Marine commandos are our special forces and they certainly have a role, but I would like to go one step backwards and say that when we are talking about coastal security or we are talking of official security, it is the role of a large number of agencies that operate in the maritime domain. The change that has taken place after 26/11 is that all these 16 or various agencies have been brought together on the same platform. So there is a fair amount of integration now because we have coastal security exercises which are held off all our 9 coastal states and island territories. Every agency participates whether it is the shipping aspect, whether it is aspect from Agricultural Ministry, which looks after fishing aspect, aspect of the offshore oil, the state police, the marine police, which are there at various stages, the Navy and the Coastguard. And we have also carried out what we call as trigger operations and we have launched in the last year itself, there would be 40-50 of these operations. Each time we get an input we go up in a higher level of alert and various agencies then coordinate. The Marine commandos have a role to play. Let me say when our ships are deployed for anti-piracy patrol we have Marine commandos on board. When the ship is carrying out a regular patrol, a situation could develop and they can take it on. In an anti-terrorist kind of situation they are trained for that, so that if there is a situation where there is terrorism situation, our Marine commandos, who are a highly specialized force with the correct kind of equipment, can then get involved to deal with the situation.

NDTV: Are you suggesting therefore that their role was never urban terrorism? Mumbai was not the setting for the MARCOS?

Admiral Dhowan: That was not at that point in time; that was not the setting. But here now they have been integrated into a larger setting aspect related to the coastal offshore security and if the setting or the situation is such then certainly, certainly they will have a role to play. But I would actually like to allude to the role of various agencies who are actually patrolling the seas 24x7. We have our Dornier aircraft, we have the larger maritime control aircraft. We have our UAV's which are carrying out surveillance; we have our ships, the bigger ships and the smaller ships out on patrol, the Coastguard helicopters, ships are not patrol, the local marine police is on patrol much closer to the coast and that is how this integration is being carried out, while leveraging on technology to see that our coasts are much safer than they were ever before.

flamboyant

Posted at: Oct 18 2015 12:06AM
Navy Chief briefed on security situation

Lt Gen Satish Dua, Chinar Corps Commander, with Admiral RK Dhowan, Chief of Naval Staff, in Srinagar on Saturday. A Tribune photo

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/jammu-kashmir/navy-chief-briefed-on-security-situation/147238.html
I know its in sheer jest you quipped this, but for someone who has seen this army general from so close as a dynamic young and handsome commando wing instructor.I couldn't help writing this.
Of course,I was a small young school boy then,watching in awe this young officer's daring feats.
He started with demo on snake catching and caught more than a dozen snakes (of diff shapes and sizes) using different techniques.Catching with bare hands was also one of them.

He also performed the below exercise. but using only one hand to hold that pulley handle(and still maintaining the proper shape) !!

I still remember boys back in school imitating him by trying to hold horizontal bar with one hand (with feet up) and shouting,"Captain Dua Tayyar!!". Lol

So guys,we absolutely have no idea as to where they come from and therefore I think we should refrain from making such out of turn comments on these guys who are epitome of supreme fitness,professionalism and nerves of steel.
We can't even imagine what they have done/doing for us in the conditions we are totally oblivious of.
Good to see him as General today. At least the army gave him his dues(actually he earned it) if not us!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles