Indian Sniper Equipment & Tactics

sbm

Country flag
Kunal, I understand the sniper standards etc but what are marksmanship standards like for the regular infantry? How do we compare to say the UK and US which have pretty high standards for individual infantry marksmanship?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The older batches had black colour, Recent once are in tan / orange fiber furniture ..

Same or better standards ..

Kunal is that an Indian SLR? I thought it usually had a tan finish?
Kunal, I understand the sniper standards etc but what are marksmanship standards like for the regular infantry? How do we compare to say the UK and US which have pretty high standards for individual infantry marksmanship?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Plain iron sight at ranges of 50-250 meters, Rifle ..

I cannot say about other armies as i don`t have depth knowledge abt theirs ..

That's even without the optical sights UK and US have as standard?

sbm

Country flag
Are our infantry taught to engage 400-600m with iron sights and/or optics?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

There was a time when NSG used to use FAL as DMR, Its is a gud we peon but not dedicated weapon for sniping ..

==========

New SLR being introduced with some improvement, But it have everything need to be an DMR, Just little modifications ..

Reactions: Kay

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
If IA is ok with side mounted optics for Galil then the same principle can be used to convert Indian Isapore SLR to DMR but Indian products don't normally get Dalal support. And with new Demonetization policy, everyone will like Dollars only

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag

BSF`s Vidwanshak at LOC ..
In the first pic, how can the sniper see through the scope. There is like a mile gap in between them.

I've had basic shooting experience and it was difficult to score even with the scope being near to the eye.

I always wondered about the usage of this rifle. I mean the trigger group is far from the scope and it kind of reduces the visibility, isn't it sir?

The 'Indi'genization is down to the core.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
Sniper with INSAS and laser pointer?

A sniper with "INSAS". How low it can get? IA must push the need for DMR rifles and LRS rifles.

Badsah

In the first pic, how can the sniper see through the scope. There is like a mile gap in between them.

I've had basic shooting experience and it was difficult to score even with the scope being near to the eye.

I always wondered about the usage of this rifle. I mean the trigger group is far from the scope and it kind of reduces the visibility, isn't it sir?

Since you are having some basic shooting experience can you shed an light how person takes an aim in pistol close to eyes? never mind it was just joke to counter your point not to offend you

Badsah

A sniper with "INSAS". How low it can get? IA must push the need for DMR rifles and LRS rifles.

Its not machine its man behind the machine makes difference, if I give you Best DMR would you be able to hit accurately ? If I give INSAS to good sniper will he be able to hit accurately? not criticizing to you just putting question in right context. Can we make best sniper rifle on INSAS platform yes we can.... but it will be same if we start buying from others No we will never be able to make it.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
Since you are having some basic shooting experience can you shed an light how person takes an aim in pistol close to eyes? never mind it was just joke to counter your point not to offend you
I never fired a pistol. And I believe there is a huge difference between a pistol that's used for very close quarter combat and a AMR which is used in a long range combats. The scope and the shooter are far away in the above pic. I'm questioning the probability of accuracy.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter

There was a time when NSG used to use FAL as DMR, Its is a gud we peon but not dedicated weapon for sniping ..

==========

New SLR being introduced with some improvement, But it have everything need to be an DMR, Just little modifications ..
Still in use with Dogra battalions posted in North East.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
Its not machine its man behind the machine makes difference, if I give you Best DMR would you be able to hit accurately ? If I give INSAS to good sniper will he be able to hit accurately? not criticizing to you just putting question in right context. Can we make best sniper rifle on INSAS platform yes we can.... but it will be same if we start buying from others No we will never be able to make it.
I don't know how much time till the same "machine is not needed, man matters" argument will be kept spinning.

Man matters the most, but machine matters too. Both of them together make a lethal threat. Various militaries out there are trying to create guided long range ammunition(ex. U.S.). Can the same argument be applied to it.

We are still using Soviet weapons with the same old scopes while scopes and sights have drastically improved in this century.

We are just using the "man matters, machine don't" argument to keep our bureaucratic and security establishments inefficiency to keep up with inducting counter technology for the emerging threats. We love this bubble.

And I also pointed out that we need a dedicated sniper training school. I know about MHOW but still not much details are available.

Yodha

India is my Identity
Professional
Country flag
If you give a good marksman a DMR he will probably score a hit rather than an INSAS. The problem is we tend to mix up things.

Various classes of rifles are created because there is a need for them. Different war theatres require different machinery. Asking a sniper to score a hit with INSAS like he did with a sniper is misjudgement.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter

This is such a powerful weapon that its scope would injure the eye if mounted too close due to the recoil.

There are few videos on YT where Barret M 82 did the same with few.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles