Indian Sniper Equipment & Tactics

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

A older 1B1 modified for marksman rifle with 2.5x scope and detachable cheek raiser.

1B1 are of BSF

================
================

tharun

Patriot
Country flag

Indian Army`s NTW-20 back in days, Two man crew operates it and when transporting crew disassemble the rifle into two, To reduce weight and ease of portability ..
Looks too bulky..army should by russian or american .50 cal sniper rifles for easy transportation...

rishivashista13

Country flag
Good to see our own sniper rifle . [emoji4]

But , is there any solid reason for why this rifle can or should replace dragunov ?

This rifle is a lot heavier then dragunov .

Rate of fire is less , as it is manually operated and dragunov is gas operated semi automatic .

It uses 7.62×51mm and dragunov uses 7.62×54mm so has less effective range and muzzle velocity then dragunov .

Barrel length of dragunov is less then this rifle but still has more effective range , so more maneuverability .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
SVD are best for use in a squad and platoon in hands of marksman, Bolt action is best in hands of trained snipers..

abingdonboy

Country flag
Good to see our own sniper rifle . [emoji4]

But , is there any solid reason for why this rifle can or should replace dragunov ?

This rifle is a lot heavier then dragunov .

Rate of fire is less , as it is manually operated and dragunov is gas operated semi automatic .

It uses 7.62×51mm and dragunov uses 7.62×54mm so has less effective range and muzzle velocity then dragunov .

Barrel length of dragunov is less then this rifle but still has more effective range , so more maneuverability .

The Dragonov is a designated marksmen rifle not s sniper rifle, it doesn't even have a bipod. The IA hasn't really been using true sniper rifles until now at a squad level, that needs to change.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Wood is what IA has insisted on.
Indicitive of the IA's backwards mindset IMO. When the rest of the world is switching to modern materials like polymor they are still insisting on wood? Sorry, it's not good enough.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Which rifles were these? And what unit were they from?
@Kunal Biswas had put this news in here few days back. Hope he could help out with it. Most probably as far as I remember its INSAS 1B1

Indicitive of the IA's backwards mindset IMO. When the rest of the world is switching to modern materials like polymor they are still insisting on wood? Sorry, it's not good enough.
Not exactly. Wood is no doubt a bit heavy then polymers, but when it comes to durability its much better. Moreover when it comes to furniture, wood or polymer doesn't trip the scale a lot. Moreover look at any of the rugged Sniper Rifle around you. You would find the use of traditional wood or steel in it more then Polymer.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I have explained in depth, below photos i posted at post number #1843

The reason IA as well as paramilitary wanted a wood instead of fiber, It make sense given our training and food.

Not exactly. Wood is no doubt a bit heavy then polymers, but when it comes to durability its much better. Moreover when it comes to furniture, wood or polymer doesn't trip the scale a lot. Moreover look at any of the rugged Sniper Rifle around you. You would find the use of traditional wood or steel in it more then Polymer.

armyofhind

Country flag
I think wood has a higher durability and lesser tendency to warp or twist under extreme climate conditions.
For a precision manufactured weapon like a sniper rifle, the slightest shift of zero can result in an adverse effect to accuracy.

rishivashista13

Country flag
I think wood has a higher durability and lesser tendency to warp or twist under extreme climate conditions.
For a precision manufactured weapon like a sniper rifle, the slightest shift of zero can result in an adverse effect to accuracy.
Yes , for sniper rifles you can prefer to increase weight for better accuracy . But it is less useful for assault rifles , as weight of rifle is a big and game changing factor there .

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Every unit has its media man, who`s job is to take record of dead terrorist and arms he was carrying and other evidence before handing the body to police ..

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Can older 303s or SLRs be used in sniper role?
Brits used scope mounted Lee enfields as effective bolt action sniper rifle in both world wars and even after ww2 they used L42,a Lee-enfiled sniper chambered in 7.62 x 51 NATO.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L42A1

Same goes for FALs.Many Semi-auto FALs were converted to DMRs in past and used effectively as well,and Indian army have used some in that manner (maybe still being used as DMRs).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles