Indian president backs Syria's claim on Golan

Country flag
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3990473,00.html

Indian President Pratibha Patil said Saturday that she supports Syria's demand for Israel's withdrawal from the Golan Heights.

In a joint press conference with Patil, who is on a visit to Syria aimed at boosting economic ties, Syrian President Bashar Assad said the lack of peace in the region was interfering with efforts at economic developments.

"The lack of peace in our region, due to Israeli policies and despite Syrian efforts, intensifies tensions and hinders efforts at economic development," Assad said.

"Only peace based on international decisions and the principle of land for peace can guarantee stability and prosperity in the Middle East and throughout the world."

The Syrian president also expressed hope that Syria and India, together with the international community, would succeed in "ending the suffering of the Palestinian people".

Assad also lauded Iran, which announced Saturday that it had succeeded in getting its nuclear plant in Bushehr up and running.

"Iran and all other nations have the right to make use of nuclear energy for peaceful aims," he said.

SHASH2K2

If its true then I would consider it as foolish statement. why should we get into Problems between Israel and Syria ? We need Israel more than Syria .

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
That's tit-for-tat for the Israelis talking &hit about Kashmir.

Country flag
If its true then I would consider it as foolish statement. why should we get into Problems between Israel and Oman? We need Israel more than Oman.
I agree, remaining neutral is the best option; no need to come out with such a bold statement.

chex3009

Country flag
This is utter foolishness on India's part because when it comes to strategic allies India can bank on only two of them and Israel is one of it. Why come out with such foolish statements while our own problems are not solved and that too speaking against one of our closest friends. Don't get it....!

SHASH2K2

This is utter foolishness on India's part because when it comes to strategic allies India can bank on only two of them and Israel is one of it. Why come out with such foolish statements while our own problems are not solved and that too speaking against one of our closest friends. Don't get it....!
Its age thats taking toll on our president . Instead of saying we donot support she said we support . Just a slip of tongue that may cost us dear.

Country flag
Its age thats taking toll on our president . Instead of saying we donot support she said we support . Just a slip of tongue that may cost us dear.
we just signed a free trade agreement with israel, this may have been taken out of context??

SHASH2K2

we just signed a free trade agreement with israel, this may have been taken out of context??
I hope its something thats taken out of context or may be an gaffe . It should not be an official support for Syrian claims. Those Idiots would still support Pakistani claim on Kashmir.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
LB this was one idiot reporters article to make a name for himself not an official Israeli Govt position.
Israel brought up the Kashmir Issue, it was their UN Envoy if I am not mistaken.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The Words are not suited for Respected Madam President..

The Words suits better for Present Indian Foreign Minster..

Golan Heights is not a matter of pride for Israel But its a important strategic location..

A nice Documentary on Golan heights during Yom Kippur War..

Cheer!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rage

DFI TEAM
Is She is out of her Mind!?

GOLAN HEIGHTS are strategic positions for Israeli!

This are the heights from where u can see down Israeli plans, A Armored thrust can easily run down toward Israeli....

Israeli gain this heights with blood during Yom Kippur War !

I don't think anything will change until the PM says something about the issue.

She's just there to make 'figurehead' statements. Act nice, make sensational news, and give food for thought to Zionist policy makers.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Both India and Israel know that nothing is going to change one bit even with such occasional statements that are made to address certain constituencies. India may well have told israel that our president will make such a statement dont get alarmed by it. As it is nothing will come of it. Israel doesnt give a shit about anyone lecturing it on its strategic gains.
India on the other hand has to appease the ME countries for obvious reasons and therefore make such inconsequential statement.

Telling that the president has made a gaffe would be false. The president speaks as much as the govt of the day asks to speak. It would have been approved by the PM who would have already spoken to his counterpart in Tel Aviv saying dil pe mat lena yaar.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Kunal Biswas said:
Pherhaps for us Yes, But She is the President of India, Her Word value alot, Specially to International Media and to those people who know nothing how Indian system Works!
This is a good thing. It actually incentivizes their co-operation over Kashmir. You don't talk &hit about Kashmir, we don't talk &hit about Golan heights.

It's actually being proactive, a pleasant change from the reactionary responses that Indian foreign policy usually is.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
They better get there act straight....if they dont want us to interfere then they should stay out of kashmir situation. In future they will need us more than we would need them.

Good move by Goi.

chex3009

Country flag
Now i am starting to get this. This is nothing but the exercise to get the 2/3rd majority in the UN General Assembly required for Permanent Membership of the Security Council when it actually comes up. India is trying to get as many ME countries on their side as possible. This is my take on this development now....

Last edited:

Rage

DFI TEAM
I dont get the tit-for-tat argument. Shouldn't a diplomatic protest with Israeli foreign office suffice? Especially after statements like these from Israeli Embassy diplomat http://sify.com/news/26-11-brings-india-israel-closer-news-national-kl0rk1jbfah.html
Perhaps, this'd help?:

Rage said:
This is a good thing. It actually incentivizes their co-operation over Kashmir. You don't talk &hit about Kashmir, we don't talk &hit about Golan heights.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles