Indian origin people ( Indians outside India ) in their country's politics .

Zebra

Country flag
At State House ceremony"¦

Surujbally publicly declares Ramotar elected President

Written by Chevon Singh , Saturday, 03 December 2011 02:45

THE successful People's Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) candidate, Mr. Donald Ramotar, was publicly declared President of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana yesterday, by Chairman of the Guyana Elections Commission ( GECOM ), Dr. Steve Surujbally. At the State House ceremony, Surujbally explained that it is provided in Article 89 of the Constitution that there shall be a President of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana, who shall be the Head of State, the supreme executive authority and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Republic and, whereas it is further provided by Article 91 of the Constitution, that the President should be elected by the people in the manner prescribed by Article 177 of the constitution ."I write to formally notify you and, acting upon the advice of the Chief Elections Officer, that, consequent to the declaration of the results made on the first December that I propose to declare you President of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana," Surujbally announced.

Continuing, Surujbally noted that, it is provided further, by Article 91 of the Constitution, that the President should be elected by the people in the manner prescribed by Article 177 of the Constitution.
He pointed out that Article 177 : 1 of the Constitution provides that any list of candidates for an election, held pursuant to the provisions of Article 60:2, shall designate not more than one of these candidate as presidential candidate and that an elector, voting at such an election in favour of a list shall be deemed to also be voting in favour of the presidential candidate named in the list.

Surujbally also said it is provided by Article 177:2 of the Constitution that, where there are two or more presidential candidates, if more votes are cast in favour of the list in which a person is designated as presidential candidate, in favour of any other list, then the presidential candidate shall be deemed to be elected as president and shall be so declared by the Chairman, acting in accordance with the advice of the Chief Elections Officer, after the advice has been tendered to the Elections Commission, at the duly summoned meeting.

And whereas the list of candidates of the People's Progressive Party Civic (PPP/C) for election for members of the National Assembly, held on the 28th day of November, pursuant to Article 60:2 of the Constitution, designated Donald Ramotar as the presidential candidate for the said election, "now, therefore, in accordance with the provisions of Article 177:2 of the Constitution, I do hereby publicly declare that Donald Ramotar, the presidential candidate, designated in the aforesaid list of the PPP/C has been elected President of the Cooperative Republic of Guyana, here dated on this second day of December, 2011 at Georgetown, Guyana," Surujbally stated.

After the official declaration, the new President pledged to work together with all stakeholders for the benefit of the country.
"I am depending on the patriotism of everyone else and that we can probably work together to get things done in the interest of the country. I hope that people will try to put our country first and be less partisan. I think if that attitude is adopted we can go forward," Ramotar said.
Last Updated ( Saturday, 03 December 2011 02:50 )

At State House ceremony"¦

Zebra

Country flag
Population of Guyana :

Guyana has a population of 758,619 (1991 estimate). About 50 percent of the people are of East Indian descent , and about 30 percent are of black African descent. Five percent are Native Amerindians, and about 10 percent are of mixed background. Others include Chinese and Europeans. About 90 percent of the mostly rural population lives along the coast. About 42 percent are Christians, 34 percent are Hindus, and 9 percent are Muslims. The country's official language is English.
In the late 1980s about 134,700 pupils were enrolled in 425 elementary schools in Guyana. Some 100 secondary, technical, and teacher-training institutions had a total of approximately 73,400 students. The country's principal institution of higher education, the University of Guyana (1963), in Georgetown, was attended by about 2300 students.

Map of Guyana

Blackwater

Sant chatwal, biggest doonor and right hand of clintons. and a democrat

Bobby jindal , Governer Louisiana.

Zebra

Country flag
[h=1]Trinidad and Tobago's 'daughter PM' returns to village in Bihar for an emotional reunion[/h]Faizan Ahmad, TNN | Jan 11, 2012, 09.13PM IST

BHELUPUR (BUXAR): It was an emotional 'pilgrimage' for
Trinidad and Tobago
prime minister
Kamla Persad-Bissessar
to her ancestral village Bhelupur. She tried to fight back her tears but failed. As tears rolled down her cheeks, the 'granddaughter of the soil' entered her ancestral home and hugged women relatives in this remote and dusty village on Wednesday afternoon.

Looking resplendent in a red sari with floral borders and a matching colour flower tucked in hairs, Kamla, 60, seemed to face no language bar as she made a forceful speech in English, starting with 'Bhaiyon aur bahno, Pranam' and told the people how she traced her roots to this village. "Your granddaughter has come here. I can see one hundred thousand people here to greet me. I say 'dhanyavad' for this love and hospitality," she said.

The visiting VIP's great grandfather Ram Lakhan Mishra from this village had set out for the Caribbean islands in 1889 as Girmitia labourer. He had boarded Volga ship from the then Calcutta on October 21, 1889.

"Whatever I am today is because Bihar is in my DNA and whatever my ancestors taught me," she said as villagers from Bhelupur and surrounding villages cheered her lustily.

Earlier, she and her entourage reached here in two IAF choppers. She straightaway went to the house of her uncle Jagdish Mishra on foot and spent a good 40 minutes there meeting women and children. The relatives presented her with a silk sari and ornaments besides serving local dishes and sweets.

Accompanied by husband Gregory Bissessar and other relatives who came from Port of Spain, she was overwhelmed by the people's response. The narrow lane on which she walked was laid with bricks and covered with green carpet.

Referring to the background under which her forefathers migrated to a far-off place, she said they were not educated people but they had vision for better life. "When they went, they had no gold, no diamond, no traveller cheque and they had no facility of cell phone, Internet, Blackberry and Facebook. What they took with them was Ramayan, Gita and Koran and the lifestyle, tradition, values from this land," she said as audience clapped and cheered.

Kamla had a message for the villagers. "Education is the only way to get rid of poverty. ... Get your daughters educated. For future generations, do what my ancestors did: give education to children."

The Trinidad & Tobago PM and her entourage stayed at the village for about 100 minutes. As she rounded off her visit and proceeded to the chopper, the crowd went out of control and broke all the barricades.

On behalf of the state government,
art and culture minister
Sukhda Pandey

Blackwater

people of Indian origin abroad really plays a positive role in building India's image

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles