Indian Ocean Developments

xebex

If India doesn't modernize her navy fast, soon the battle for the "Indian" Ocean will be fought not by India, but between the US and China.
Well, we will let them fight eachother why bother joining the fight right away.....let them fight each other for a while and when they both get weak, we will join the party and kick both of them out. howz my idea?:blum3:

Sabir

DFI TEAM
You are not even counting their existing nuclear boomers..
I mentioned I was starting with the study of diesel-electric subs....now others to come up with remaining parts. Please contribute.
Regards,

Sabir

DFI TEAM
China has more than 73 submarines including their nuke subs, while India has only 16 of which 8 are in dry dock for repairs more than they're at sea. If India doesn't modernize her navy fast, soon the battle for the "Indian" Ocean will be fought not by India, but between the US and China.

At the rate India's defence modernization is progressing, it will take 4 to 5 decades just to match China's currently deployed military hardware.
China is increasing the number of their nuke subs very first. I dont think India will be able to catch up with them. They should try to get the minimum deterence. Incase of conventional ones it will be 37-40 for chaina and 26+ for India at the end of next decades. Among 73 total subs, China is scraping 25+ old conventional staffs. Now trying to get an estimation for Nuclear submarines. Please contribute.
Regards,

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Well, we will let them fight eachother why bother joining the fight right away.....let them fight each other for a while and when they both get weak, we will join the party and kick both of them out. howz my idea?:blum3:
probably Americans are also thinking that.

Adux

Country flag
China has more than 73 submarines including their nuke subs, while India has only 16 of which 8 are in dry dock for repairs more than they're at sea. If India doesn't modernize her navy fast, soon the battle for the "Indian" Ocean will be fought not by India, but between the US and China.

At the rate India's defence modernization is progressing, it will take 4 to 5 decades just to match China's currently deployed military hardware.

73 subs, Really. Should real check the data on those rust buckets, heck they are more danger to themselves than to us.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Nuclear submarines of China and India

Nuclear submarines of PLAN

Type 092 Xia class SSBN
These submarines entered service in 1981. one of the two Xia class subs were lost due to an accident. According to US Defense Intelligence Agency these submarines are no more operational and replaced my more advanced Type 094 Jin class SSBN

Type 094 Jin class SSBN
At least 2 has been commissioned since 2004 and there will be up to 5 within 2010 . These submarines are believed to have significant Russian technology and each of them can carry 12 JL-2 missiles of 8000 km range.

Type 091 Han class SSN
2 of total 5 have been retired already and others are unlikely to continue for very long in service. These will be succeeded by modern Type 093 submarines.

Type 093 SSN
Possibly 6-8 of this type will be introduced in PLAN. Within 2010 there would be 3-4 of this type. These submarines are heavily influenced by Russian design and comparable to Russian Vitor III class, but inferior to Akula class submarines.

Nuclear submarines of India

First indigenously built (of course there was significant Russian help) SSBN INS Arihant has been introduced already. Next two of this category are under construction. This submarines will carry Sagarika (range 750 km) missile. May be Agni-III (range 3500km +) will be introduced later.
Next 3 of total 6 ATVs will be of different type than INS Arihant . May be these will be nuclear attack submarines (SSN). According to unconfirmed news cost of these submarines will be few times more than INS Arihant category submarines.
India is receiving one Akula nuclear attack submarine from Russia on lease (10 years with option to buy). There will be one more Russian attack submarine on lease in future.

Like conventional Diesel-Electric submarines if we exclude obsolete SSBN and SSN of PLAN (from the scaring number of PLAN submarine fleet) the total number will be 5+ SSBN and 8 SSN at the and of next decade, while India will operate 3 SSBN and 4-5 SSN in total. India will be lagging behind China numerically; it will have enough number to act as the deterrence. May be India will have qualitative supremacy over China because of the presence of Russian Akula submarines in its inventory.

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
Ruling the Ocean requires presence and a that means lots of big surface ships with huge flags.

All operations in Indian Ocean by PLAN require them to be deployed far away from home, the only experience they have are 3-5 ship task force for deployment in near about friendly conditions, they need 20 to 30 more years to become a naval force large enough and confident enough to deploy more ships in hostile conditions outside of ocean near their lands (where the current fleets are situated).

In these 20 - 30 years USN is not cutting down on its ships, all the small nations in the way of PRC and the Indian Ocean are building up their naval forces and the floating aircraft carrier of the Indian Ocean called India is near about doubing its naval forces.

I dont think anyone will dominate the Indian Ocean, Indian Navy with its increased number will provide more sea control and safety along the sea lanes.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Can anybody provide information on ASW capabilities of PLAN?

Adux

Country flag
Adux, do you know how old Indian subs are?
Yes of which 47 are conventional boats, who cant even reach Indian Ocean region. OF which the primary one's are Song Class,Ming,Yuan, for god sakes it is effin Romeo Class of 1950's. That is all they have is 10, I repeat 10 Conventional Boats, which are the Kilo's and 1 Yuan. Read up on it.

While India's oldest sub is one single Foxtrot, and all the other subs are 1985 to 1999 age group.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Yes of which 47 are conventional boats, who cant even reach Indian Ocean region. OF which the primary one's are Song Class,Ming,Yuan, for god sakes it is effin Romeo Class of 1950's. That is all they have is 10, I repeat 10 Conventional Boats, which are the Kilo's and 1 Yuan. Read up on it.

While India's oldest sub is one single Foxtrot, and all the other subs are 1985 to 1999 age group.
Yes...while giving the number of PLAN the count even those junks which are more dangerous for their sailors rather than the enemy.
According to present and proposed numbers they wont have more than 50 at the end of next decade...37 conventional..rests nuclear.
By that time India will have atleast 26 conventional and atleast 8 sophistacated nuclear subs. Enough to keep them beyond Indian Ocean forever.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
What hasn't been discussed so far is that any Chinese flotilla ( if at all came all the way to IOR) will be in the range of Indian land based air assets which could take out and disable majority of the Chinese combatants.

badguy2000

Respected Member
before we all retire, i am afraid that global see wil still ruled by US navy.

other countries ,including CHina and India,would be peanut ,if compared with yankees.

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Who will rule the Indian Ocean ?
The US Navy of course. And its going to remain this way for quite a few years. Even with the rising Chinese influence, I expect them to concentrate their strength to the east, than in the Indian Ocean.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
does chines navy got blue water capabilities ????

can they operate far away from their shore independently ????

what about their nuclear submarine flight, what is their past track record..... how many SSBN and SSN they operate........

macintosh

Recently heard that china is urging Maldives to lease it an island for 25 years, under the pretext of increasing tourism, for linking Gwadar with the port it is making in Sri Lanka and to complete it's string from Coco Island of Mynmar to Gwadar so that IN's influence in Indian Ocean can be countered. Don't Know what is IN's strategy to counter it.If anyone can enlighten IN's strategy it will be highly appreciated.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Unless something happens to DG i guess the US navy will rule the IOR...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The string of pearls is not yet a military one but a civilian one. A diplomatic marvel if China to negate the geographical disadvantage it has in the IOR gor maintaining it's oils supply and contdiber traffic of it's finished goods. Any other motive is under a vigilant eye if the IN.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Unless something happens to DG i guess the US navy will rule the IOR...
USN doesn't even need the DG to maintain it's superiority in IOR. It has allies all over the region to take care of logistics requirement. It wanted one eith India as well till the Left came in snd pressured the govt not to sign. It's on the backburner right now, though not yet off the table.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles