Indian no more? MF Husain granted Qatar citizenship

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Sridhar, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Sridhar

Sridhar House keeper Moderator

Indian no more? MF Husain granted Qatar citizenship

Published on Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 09:12, Updated on Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:00

GETTING A NEW NATION: Sources says MF Husain will have to give up his Indian citizenship.
    [​IMG]
    New Delhi: Artist Maqbool Fida Husain has reportedly taken up the nationality of Qatar.
    According to a report in The Hindu Husain was reportedly offered the citizenship by the emirate's ruling family.
    "I'm honoured by Qatar nationality but deeply saddened by my forced exile. I, the Indian-born painter, will have to give up the citizenship of my land of birth if I accept nationality," the newspaper quoted Husain as saying.
    Husain has reportedly taken up the Qatar offer, in which case he has to give up his Indian passport.
    Government sources told CNN-IBN that since India does not recognises dual citizenship so Husain will have to give up his Indian citizenship if he wants to become a Qatari citizen.
    Qatar has given him the citizenship even though Husain did not apply for it.
    The 95-year-old was forced to leave India in 2006 as he has been the target of right-wing groups for his nude painting of Hindu Goddesses and has been lacking government backing.
    Since then he has been living in Dubai and London.
    Controversies surrounding Husain:

• 1996: Paintings of nude deities creates controversy. He had created these paintings in the 1970s.
    • 1996: Hindi magazine publishes article on Husain calling him "painter or butcher".
    • Eight criminal complaints filed against Husain following the article.
    • 1998: Husain's house attacked by Bajrang Dal. Shiv Sena endorses attack.
    • 1999: London exhibition cancelled after controversy gains steam in India.
    • 2006: Charged with hurting sentiments of people because of nude portraits of Hindu Gods and Goddesses.
    • 2006: Non-bailable arrest warrant issued.
    http://ibnlive.in.com/news/indian-no-more-mf-husain-granted-qatar-citizenship/110670-3.html

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  3. Sridhar

The original hindu article

4. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

I am Jumping with Joy here Good let him preach His dam suckulerim there in Qatar

Ludacrisy at its Hight why dont Mr Ram be extra secular and commission a Nude of all the womenfolk in His Family would he do that

being secular is not a bad thing but there are some lines that cannot be crossed

the Khajuraho sculptures has a distinct symbolism to It it is meant to show the union of the cosmos of shakti and Shiva the two powers that combine to form the universe

sex and sexuality are a part of Human and Universal life no one is averse to it but to paint a Goddess in a nude form is completely off the scale

5. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

I do not agree with Mr MFs drawing nudes of Gods and Goddesses, and I feel the law should take its course too. But What I hate is these Right Wing groups hounding people and targetting them, these groups should be Banned because they are obstructing the deliverance of justice and Taking the law into their own hands. If these forces are not checked they will go onto be a Monster we will have to live with. The Recent MNIK events too showed how these Religious/Divisionary forces can attack viciously. The Same applies for the Taslima Nasrin case too. Hurting Religious sentiments is not the means of Art, and need not be artistic.

I am Sad to see this happen, even though I am not a Great fan of MF. It just goes onto show India in a poor light, because this man cannot come back to his homeland, and face justice, because Some goons can prevent him from doing so. We must respect his age too, as we dont know how long he will be. This event will make the enemies of India laugh out aloud saying, Muslims are being targetted and forced to leave India (Which is very so untrue) But they will keep saying this in a lame manner, and we will have ailly arguments over it!

6. Sridhar

Husain can come back if he wants: RSS
    Updated on Thursday, February 25, 2010, 14:48 IST
    [​IMG]

Zeenews Bureau
    Mumbai: In a climb-down of sorts, RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat has made it clear that his organization has nothing against artist Maqbool Fida Husain, reports claimed Thursday.

The clarification comes after reports suggested that Husain has been conferred the nationality of Qatar.

[​IMG]
    The RSS chief made it clear that Husain can come back to India whenever he wants to.

http://www.zeenews.com/news606938.html

7. NSG_Blackcats

NSG_Blackcats Member of The Month OCTOBER 2009 Senior Member

Many people likes to be surrounded by controversy. Though M F Husain is a great artist but his works in recent times are controversial in nature. Many Indian citizens have taken citizenship of foreign countries. So for me it is not any big deal. M F Husain is facing legal cases in India, he is not coming to India for the fear of being arrested.

8. ahmedsid

Might be a little too late, the damage has been done, the threats worked, this guy got scared for the heck of it and left! Let these guys take this as a lesson and dont harass a person like this the next time. We live in a Democracy and our Judicial/Police system, though flawed in some aspects must be allowed to take its own course. Otherwise what is the difference between us, the worlds largest democracy and that failed state in our neighborhood?

9. Sridhar

Photographer, designer and activist Ram Rahman, who is close to the Husain family, responded to the news by saying: "The citizenship has been offered by the sheikha, the wife of the sheikh of Qatar, and it has several implications.

"On a personal note, I feel it is quite clear that the man who is 95 years old and cannot return to his country to die, there is no point of him remaining an Indian citizen."

"It would be a tragedy. He has not given up his Indian citizenship yet but if he decides to take up the Qatari offer, he will not remain an Indian citizen anymore. It is also a reflection of our legal system because the cases against him will drag on for 20-30 years.... so it is justified if he takes up the Qatari offer," Rahman said.

http://www.zeenews.com/news606938.html

10. ahmedsid

I dont think he is scared of facing arrest, but he is scared of being thrashed up, or having his house ransacked, face blackened and loved ones being beaten up! He loves his land too much to stay away from it for long! God Speed

11. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Very sad to see Indian society being threatened and dictated by Right wing groups. We are a pluralistic tolerant society.

12. F-14

F-14 Global Defence Moderator Senior Member

paaji may i beg Your pardon why cant there be a right wing in India ? and why for once cant the majority react If panting our Goddess Nude is secular then is it OK to paint a Nude of Sonia Gandhi ??

13. Vinod2070

Vinod2070 मध्यस्थ Stars and Ambassadors

The problem is that our justice system is screwed up and that encourages some groups to take matter in their hands.

Having a proper justice system that actually works and an independent law enforcement system should be our first priority, sadly it is not on the radar of any party.

14. johnee

johnee Elite Member Elite Member

Firstly, good riddance!! Regardless of his talent in painting, what is more important is that how he uses that talent. M.F."the genius" Hussain used it to denigrate the gods and goddesses of other religion in the worst possible way. And when the masses got angry, he fled from the justice system, now just after four years, the gentleman has renounced Indian citizenship and accepts some other country's citizenship. This shows many things about him. Firstly, he is not secular because he does not mind denigrating other religions and in the process hurting the sentiments of its followers, he is a hypocrite who tries to hide behind the facade of secularism to escape the accounatability of his actions, he does not abide by the law and expects special treatment, when the law chases him because of his illegal offences, he simply flees, and lastly he is not a patriot. No one who is a patriot would give up his/her nationality just because he is wanted in his country in a legal case, that too after just four years. He fled in 2006 and now in 2010 Feb, he has given up his Indian nationality. This speaks volumes about his patriotism. Such a person regardless of his talent is a good riddance, infact, his talent gives him a kind of power which he uses(or abuses) to cause rifts in the society. For all his talent, he has given no positive contribution to the society.

15. ahmedsid

Johnee, what are you yabbering out about?? Did you read that MF Hussain didnt submit a request for Citizenship? He was offered one by the govt just like that! How can you question someones patriotism? Should he wear on his sleeve? You have no right to question his love for his country or anybody elses for that matter. We indians excel in branding others traitors and we overlook what good we are doing for our country! A trait of which we complain and give our Western neighbors example!

I agree, Secularism is not the garb to malign a religion. I am against his Nude Paintings of Gods and Goddesses, But you should read up on a matter and and this is an advice, because I have seen you jump on the wagon simply to show you are a "Breed Apart" which can be the case if you read carefully and then came to a conclusion. This man was honoured by the Govt Of Qatar as far as I know, without a formal application being put forward! Please correct me.

India is not truly Secular in the sense for say like America, where you can say any damn stuff about Jesus christ and get away with it. Havent you seen the Simpsons making fun of Jesus while on the same hand can you have a TV Cartoon or Series making fun of Jesus In India??? So people dont bring in Secularism please!

16. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Good riddance. If he loves his country, he should also face the laws of the country, otherwise he doesn't deserve to be in the country.

17. ahmedsid

Who told the Majority not to protest against the Nudes, but then does the Majority or the Minority have the right to attack a person, his properties, his galleries and make open threats to his life?? If So I rest my case, But I dont think so thats possible in a democracy like ours.

We pride ourselves in being different and more liberal than our Neighbours to the West, whom we look down upon for their Right Wing Fanatiscism! So you should encourage them too, for they too are getting worked up by Americans killing terrorists whom they deem as their Brothers and Americans Defiling their Holy Lands! Is it is justifiable? I dont think so, If you justify any kind of violent right wing activism, you are no better than the Taliban, who too are right wingers. You let the Right wingers in India grow, soon you wont be able to go out with you girlfriend to the park on Vday or any day! You decide, do you want Right wingers or do you want sane people on the streets?? God Speed

18. ahmedsid

Were they letting him return or were they busy issuing threats and burning down stuff??? I am no MF Hussain Fan, but I respect a persons right to a peaceful life, be it behind bars or outside the bars!!!! Good Riddance you say, I say Sad Day that the right wingers have yielded so much influence on a person that he is made for forget his affinity to his land and forced to take up refuge somewhere else. Thank God he can afford it!

19. ahmedsid

Today, I see many of you Supporting the Right Wing groups, I dont mind it, but tomorrow when they gag you up and manhandle your girlfriend, outside a pub, dont go crying to the Police or the Authorities, because you gave them the power.

The Germans too thought Hitler was right and liked his hardline approach towards what seemed like their rights. But he turned out to be a monster. Always be careful about people saying they are fighting for you, while the real deal is they are fighting to control you, your thoughts. Today you call MF Hussain a Traitor, tomorrow these very right wingers can lablel you un-indian because you celebrate christmas, newyears or Vday! God Speed

20. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Senior Member Senior Member

Sad day not because of right winger but because of crawling judiciary, vote bank politics and too much democracy. God willing potential offenders like MF will take lessons and stay right.

21. ahmedsid

What are you going to do about the Plight of the Governance and Judiciairy and "too much democracy". Okay let me be specific, what too much democracy? Refer upto my post on Jesus and Simpsons, in the USA. Do you call that too much democracy? Compare that to India and we are Not even close!!!

Please keep these crackpot notions on too much democracy to your esteemed self, because i see guys like you blaming Pakistan for Lack of Democracy! Sickening actually!