Indian Navy's THE KILLERS (Missile Vessel Squadron)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
They are effective at lot lesser price tag and operational costs..

Under air-cover and submarine force they make a very strong fighting force, we use such formations in Arabian sea / Andaman sea / Bay of Bengal areas where as Larger ships form a fleet and patrol hi-seas..

Patriot

Country flag
IMO these boats can be very effective during covert operations like giving cover to MARCOS on enemy shores or as distraction by diverting attention of enemy forces & ambush attack. It depends on our tactics where & how we use them in current dynamics.

But to stay relevant & retain their lethality these boats need to be upgraded in all aspect.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Skjold-class patrol boat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

General characteristics
Type: coastal corvette
Displacement: 274 tonnes full load
Length: 155.83 ft (47.50 m) / 46.8 ft (14.3 m) (Length on cushion)
Beam: 44.29 ft (13.50 m)
Draught: 3.3 ft (1.0 m)
Propulsion: 2 × Twin gas turbines →12,170 kilowatts / Twin diesel engines →1,490 kilowatts
Speed: In rough sea: 45 knots / In calm sea: 60 knots
Range: 800 nmi at 40 knots (74 km/h)
Complement: 15-16
Sensors and processing systems: Thales MRR-3D-NG air/surface radar / Ceros 200 FC / CS-3701 electronic warfare suite / Sagem Vigy 20 Electro-optical sensor
Armament: 8 Kongsberg Naval Strike Missile SSMs kept in an internal weapons bay / 76mm Otobreda Super Rapid multi-role cannon / Mistral Surface to air missile / 12.7mm gun

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Man! This is exactly what I was talking about! Thanks!

@Decklander your thoughts on the Skjold-class... Call it my wet dream if you may, but I am sure Indian shipbuilders can build them if the requirement was put forward!

Corvettes are much larger and easily detectable via radar (Tarantul Class does not employ stealth). Isn't it?

I am talking about something about a 500-600 ton hydrofoil craft with 2500 nm range at 20kn with a peak speed of 45-50kn with 2 launchers and 6 missiles and a 57mm Mk110 Naval Gun... Maybe just a wet dream :rolleyes:

Skjold-class patrol boat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This one is also a nice design a good base to start with. I think best to have a similar stealthy design and ideally the Mini Brahmos to be used from these.

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Visby class is a very good upgrade option to Taranul/Veer class with 2000km+ range, however limited by 35kn speed. Maybe it can even act as a heavily armed mothership (with SAM & ASW helos) for the last mile attack crafts.

However Skjold-class as a last mile attack craft can creep up undetected, use the powerful radar installed on the Visby class to pinpoint the target, fire its mini-brahmos, and scoot at 60kn speed even before enemy realize what hit them!

I think both are needed to work in tandem... Imagine 1 Visby Class with 3 Skjold-class as a strike group

I had Visby class in mind as it is more or less same as Tarantul class in range, speed, displacement and crew carrying capacity..

Visby-class corvette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by a moderator:

Bheeshma

Does IN intend to replace veers? I would rather focus on P-15A/B, P-17A/B and P-28A/B's getting into service soon. OPV's are ideal for patrolling and Anti-sub littoral missions. I know IN has ordered or is planning to replace Abhay class and wants 16 corvettes in the 600 tonne category but those are ASuW corvettes not killers like Veer.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I think IN will update Veer class with PJ-10 and other electronics..

Bheeshma

Corvettes like these typically serve 25 years. Not sure there is enough life in them except the last few.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
can the offshore/inshore patrol vessels of navy and coast guard be equipped with cruise missiles in an emergency war like situation with pakistan?

Bheeshma

Yes..they can be converted to Light Frigate config. From IN's page.

Surface Ships : Naval Fleet : Indian Navy

The Sukanya class have large hulls, although they are lightly armed since they are utilized primarily for offshore patrol of India's exclusive economic zone. However, they are capable of being heavily armed and upgraded to light frigates should the need arise.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles