Indian Navy's THE KILLERS (Missile Vessel Squadron)

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
[video=youtube_share;1ZcEf6-7Uw0]http://youtu.be/1ZcEf6-7Uw0[/video]

I wonder why India does not have any fast attack missile boats now. Can anyone provide the reason? They are still relevant to the sea areas of Gujrat (for Karachi) Lakshwadweep (for Maldives) INS Baaz (for Malacca) and Haldia/Sagar (for BD) where Chinese are setting up string of pearls.

Meanwhile China is producing these by the dozens...

datguy79

Were the anti-ship missiles modified to hit land targets?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The same Killer Squadron armed with more capable Fast attack Missile boats ( Often call Corvettes ) : Tarantul Class

----------------------------------------------------------

Names & Pennant Numbers with Commission Dates:

INS Veer K40 (26 March 1987 at Poti, former USSR)
INS Nirbhik K41 (21 December 1987 at Poti, former USSR)
INS Nipat K42 (05 December 1988 at Poti, former USSR)
INS Nishank K43 (12 September 1989 at Poti, former USSR)
INS Nirghat K44 (15 December 1989 at Poti, former USSR)
INS Vibhuti K45 (03 June 1991 at Mazagon Dock Ltd, Mumbai)
INS Vipul K46 (16 March 1992 at Mazagon Dock Ltd, Mumbai)
INS Vinash K47 (20 November 1993 at Goa Shipyard Ltd)
INS Vidyut K48 (16 January 1995 at Goa Shipyard Ltd)
INS Nashak K83 (29 December 1996 at Mazagon Dock Ltd, Mumbai)

Displacement: 385 tons standard; 455 tons full load.

Maximum Speed: 35 - 40 knots

Maximum Range: 2000 miles at 20 knots........................400 miles at 36 knots.

Weapons: K91 and K92 carry sixteen 3M-24E (SS-N-25) AShMs with fire control being provided by a single BEL Lynx director.

One Strela-2M (SA-N-5) SAM launcher, manual aiming with infra-red homing to 3.2n miles; 6 km at Mach 1.5 with a 1.5 kg warhead. Maximum altitude is at 2500 metres (8000 feet). Possible reloads of 12 missiles.

One AK-76/60 76mm gun with 85º elevation with 120 rds/min to 8.1n miles; 15 km. In the last pair, one OTO 76mm SRGM is fitted. The CIWS comprises of two six-barrelled 30mm AK-630 gatling guns with an elevation of 85º, combined with a firepower of 3000 rounds a minute. Effective range of 2 km.

Countermeasures: Decoys; Two PK-16 chaff launchers..........................ESM; One Bharat Ajanta intercept (local modification) on some units.

Comments: Veer Class corvettes form the 22 Missile Vessel Squadron, at Mumbai. The hull is made of special, lightweight, MS and aluminium alloy sheets. INS Nirghat is the successor to the illustrious Osa-I Class fast attack missile boat which rained missiles on Karachi. The new vessel has preserved the red booster covers of the original P-15M AShMs that were lobbed at Karachi in December 1971.

An order for four modified Veer Class corvettes was placed in April 1997. This four-unit order was later drawn down to two units: one at Mazagon Dock Ltd, Mumbai and the other at Goa Shipyard Ltd. INS Prabal and INS Pralaya are a further modification of the Project 12418 design and may be referred to as the Mod 1241RE in Indian Navy service. One may also hear the name Molniya for these vessels, as it is the generic Russian name for the 1241 series of raketny kater (missile cutter) boats.

INS Prabal and INS Pralaya are quite different, in equipment, armament and appearance from their sister ships. Modified with Russian input, the weapons & sensor fit is similar to that of the Project 25A Class corvette, INS Kirch. Radars include a MR 352 Positiv-E radar, a Garpun Bal E and a BEL Lynx gunfire control radar. Armament comprises sixteen 3M-24E AShMs, the BHEL-assembled OTO 76mm Super Rapid Gun Mount (SRGM) along with two AK-630M CIWS gun mounts. The Lynx fire control system controls the twin AK-630M mounts and the 76mm OTO Melara gun. The radar has the following functions: a) Detection of surface and air targets, changeover to automatic tracking mode for selected targets and establishing it's coordinates and movement parameters; b) Working out data for firing, taking into account the target manoeuvring movement, movement of boat & ballistic correction. The EW suite appears incomplete - the characteristic radome of the Ajanta system is missing.

I wonder why India does not have any fast attack missile boats now. Can anyone provide the reason?

JBH22

Indian navy no longer interested in Missile boat vessel no idea though :(

Decklander

The Killer sqns of IN have very fast attack speeds and long range strike capabilities. These small ships are far more deadly than even a destroyer within their radius of action. They are very difficult to detect at sea and NOW they carry missiles which can strike all kinds of targets from ship to shore.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Corvettes are much larger and easily detectable via radar (Tarantul Class does not employ stealth). Isn't it?

I am talking about something about a 500-600 ton hydrofoil craft with 2500 nm range at 20kn with a peak speed of 45-50kn with 2 launchers and 6 missiles and a 57mm Mk110 Naval Gun... Maybe just a wet dream :rolleyes:

The same Killer Squadron armed with more capable Fast attack Missile boats ( Often call Corvettes ) : Tarantul Class
@Decklander please do share...

Since you do not know it, I dont wanna share it. The new boats are going to be equipped with Brahmos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Decklander

The COs of these boats are as stupid and as hardcore fanatics as I was and am. Suicidal missions is what Killers love to execute. I was baptised in IN in a killer sqn only and was in Pak waters in 1987 Operation Brasstacks as an expendable to start the war with Pakistan.

Decklander

Tarantul class is the Veer class of IN. These are very high speed boats with P-21 missiles. These boats have a top speed of nearly 45 kts. And a very low profile. I have seen them disappear from radar at ranges upto 21 Nm that too from L-Band radars of ships like INS Gomati. These ships are floating between waves and water when they do high speeds. I used to be the ORO (Operations Room Officer) of INS Gomati in 1990 and also its EW officer and it was a pain to differentiate these boats from false targets to real targets as they never painted steadily on radar till they were really close. But our ESM was outstanding, the moment they used their radar to get a lock on us, we were able to fire before them on them.

JBH22

Since you do not know it, I dont wanna share it. The new boats are going to be equipped with Brahmos.
Only plans for Corvettes,Destroyers and Frigates not a single ship in the class of OSA/Tarantul missile boat to be acquired ...

mikhail

Country flag
Tarantul class is the Veer class of IN. These are very high speed boats with P-21 missiles. These boats have a top speed of nearly 45 kts. And a very low profile. I have seen them disappear from radar at ranges upto 21 Nm that too from L-Band radars of ships like INS Gomati. These ships are floating between waves and water when they do high speeds. I used to be the ORO (Operations Room Officer) of INS Gomati in 1990 and also its EW officer and it was a pain to differentiate these boats from false targets to real targets as they never painted steadily on radar till they were really close. But our ESM was outstanding, the moment they used their radar to get a lock on us, we were able to fire before them on them.
Sir, a simple question,why is our Navy still using the obsolete P-15 Termite and its derivative the P-21(export version of the P-15M) when we have got the option to equip them with K-35 or PJ-10:confused:?please shed some light in this matter.

indian_sukhoi

I wonder why India does not have any fast attack missile boats now. Can anyone provide the reason? They are still relevant to the sea areas of Gujrat (for Karachi) Lakshwadweep (for Maldives) INS Baaz (for Malacca) and Haldia/Sagar (for BD) where Chinese are setting up string of pearls.

Meanwhile China is producing these by the dozens...
We opted for bigger and advanced ships.

- The new Kamotra class have pack more punch then our present destroyers. Kamorta has a displacement of 3000 which makes capable enough to carry Klub missiles, unlike the veer class.-

Veer class were small and doesnt have any SAM systems.

Whereas, about the new PLAN Fast Attack Boats, Even Pakistan Navy is planning to opt a few of them.

The COs of these boats are as stupid and as hardcore fanatics as I was and am. Suicidal missions is what Killers love to execute. I was baptised in IN in a killer sqn only and was in Pak waters in 1987 Operation Brasstacks as an expendable to start the war with Pakistan.
You mean, The killers sneaked into Pak waters without detection?. I didnt knew about Operation Brasstacks was that serious, Thanks for sharing.

Sir, The Brahmos is even big enough for Kamotra class ships. Even if these new missile boats are capable enough to carry brahmos, can the ship radar guide the missile to its range?

Has you already pointed out. If we sended Missile boats, They will risked to use their own radars to locate their targets and once they location is compromised they could become easy targets for PN Aircrafts.

How can these missile boats could useful in a Future Indo-Pak scenario? . I mean, Why would we care or risk to send missile boats against PN surface fleet, When our destroyers can sink them even before they get close enough.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Missile boats are fast and stealthy, there tactics are hit and run ..

Its not easy to scramble fighters in such short of time, A aircraft such as dedicated Mara tine surveillance & strike is a solution..

Bheeshma

Why would a ocean going navy need missile boats? They are only useful if you intend to stay near your own shores only. China needs them since USN , JSMDF and ROK navies are very close to their shores and they cannot break out.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles