Indian Navy Universal VLS: Discussions and News

Which missiles should the UVLS be compatible with? Missile (weight /length /diameter/range) [role]

• Total voters

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Indian Navy does not currently have a universal VLS (UVLS), thereby limiting the number and kind of weapons that can be deployed on board capital warships. The modular approach and hot launch capability are also missed on board Indian Navy's most powerful warships. Here is a look at UVLS of other Navies of the world:-
  • US Navy
    • Mk 41 VLS (0.635 m cannister diameter) [Hot launch only]
    • Burke class: 96 Mk41 VLS; Ticonderoga class: 122 Mk41 VLS
    • Mk 57 VLS (0.71 m cannister diameter) [Hot launch only]
  • PLAN: CN VLS (0.85 m cannister diameter) [Cold and Hot launch capable]
    • Type 055: 112 CN VLS; Type 052D: 64 CN VLS
However, Indian Navy does plan to have a UVLS system on its next generation destroyers (Project-18)
This thread will track the progress of and facilitate a discussion on the UVLS, the weapons that can be deployed, and the warships (current and future) the UVLS can be deployed upon.

Project 18 destroyers of the Indian Navy are going to have a tonnage of either 11000 or 8000 tons.

Last edited:

Adioz

About the Anti-Submarine missile
I think its possible to develop such a missile. We already have the DRDO Shyena light weight torpedo. We need to upgrade if we can and mount it atop a rocket booster that can hurl a 220 kg warhead (in this case the Shenya torpedo) to at least 30 km away. We can easily fit this missile into the VLS, possibly 2 missiles to one VLS (if we can keep the booster's diameter less than 0.35m) and voila our own Anti submarine missile :cowboy:

Adioz

Seriously @Shashwat ? You want us to lauch a 7.7 ton missile from a UVLS?:rofl:
Wait, @Shashwat changed his vote? And now @brahmos wants to have a K-15 in the UVLS?

Last edited:

Adioz

Considering that the bulkiest missile that we plan to deploy on IN warships of the future is Brahmos (ITS NOT K-15, DON'T EVEN GO THERE), means that we should design the VLS to fit Brahmos specifications and all the rest will fit. By this logic, VLS should have a dia of 0.71m and a length of 8.5-9 m

But thinking about future hypersonic missiles and the fact that they might need bigger air intakes leading to an even bigger diameter, I think the best approach is to keep a margin of saftey and design the UVLS to have a diameter of more than 0.71m.

Looking at the CN VLS, they have made a massive 0.85m diameter UVLS. But the trade off seems to be lesser number of VLS. Considering that the Type055 has a tonnage of 13000 and only 112 CN VLS as opposed to USN's Ticonderoga with a tonnage of 10000 and 122 Mk 41 VLS. But then again, Japanese Atago destroyers have a tonnage of 10000 tons and 96 Mk 41 VLS.

So all things considered, maybe we should make one with a diameter of 0.8m? Members weigh in please.

Adioz

Coming to Barak-8, its better to have a booster in them. But yeah, the current length of booster could be brought down with change of fuel.
Yeah, but if we can reduce the diameter of the booster, maybe we can quad-pack Barak-8 in the UVLS too, like USN's ESSM.

This could give us some serious air defence capability when used in conjunction with AAD/XR-SAM and quad-packed QR-SAM.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Yeah, but if we can reduce the diameter of the booster, maybe we can quad-pack Barak-8 in the UVLS too, like USN's ESSM.

This could give us some serious air defence capability when used in conjunction with AAD/XR-SAM and quad-packed QR-SAM.
In current configuration too, we could reduce the diameter by increasing the length of the booster. But then we would have to look into its cannisterization part. Whether the increased length could be accommodated by current canister or not, I am not sure.

Adioz

I ran out of space in the poll, but shouldn't I have added ASAT weapon as well? BTW, considering that PDV already has an engagement altitude of 150 km, can that not target some satellites in LEO already?
And no one is voting for PDV .........

In current configuration too, we could reduce the diameter by increasing the length of the booster. But then we would have to look into its cannisterization part. Whether the increased length could be accommodated by current canister or not, I am not sure.
Its current length is 6m (Barak-8ER), so maybe we can fit it if UVLS has max dimesions of 9m length.....lets hope we can.

Adioz

Barak 8 is hot launched from Indian ships VLS, BrahMos is cold launched .

Sent from my Aqua Ace II using Tapatalk
I can't figure out where the vents are for hot launch of Barak-8. Maybe its just bad angle. See:-

But looking at it does seem like any one of those 8-cell Barak-8 VLS have the same size as 6 of those Brahmos VLS. It seems that Barak-8 can't be easily quad packed in a UVLS that is the size of Brahmos. I think we need to make the booster of Barak-8 sleeker, or there is no chance.

Adioz

About the Anti-Submarine missile
I think its possible to develop such a missile. We already have the DRDO Shyena light weight torpedo. We need to upgrade if we can and mount it atop a rocket booster that can hurl a 220 kg warhead (in this case the Shenya torpedo) to at least 30 km away. We can easily fit this missile into the VLS, possibly 2 missiles to one VLS (if we can keep the booster's diameter less than 0.35m) and voila our own Anti submarine missile :cowboy:
:doh: BC I just found out, the program for making such a missile already exists. Its called S.M.A.R.T. (Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo)
Check it out, its #11

Credits for Pic @Shadow
:drool:

Look out for this one, should be close to being tested. @binayak95 @Arihant @Tanmay @undeadmyrmidon @kurup @Guest

binayak95

Country flag

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
:doh: BC I just found out, the program for making such a missile already exists. Its called S.M.A.R.T. (Supersonic Missile Assisted Release of Torpedo)
Check it out, its #11

Credits for Pic @Shadow
:drool:

Look out for this one, should be close to being tested. @binayak95 @Arihant @Tanmay @undeadmyrmidon @kurup @Guest
So there exists a plan of having anti submarine missiles.

Nice.

Chinese chicoms,you are at our mercy.

Adioz

@Adioz

Tu itna khush ho gaya ki tune thread khol diya.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Anyway good job

:india::india::india::india::india::india:
Bhai we are about to enter the big league of Naval powers with this. Imagine having our own 11000 ton destroyer with 112 UVLS. I fapped to this till 3 in this morning, then passed out. :)

Adioz

So there exists a plan of having anti submarine missiles.

Nice.

Chinese chicoms,you are at our mercy.
Once these missiles are ready, I am sure they are going to get installed in the Kamorta class. That along with SAM installation should make Kamorta class better than Type 054A at ASW role.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Bhai we are about to enter the big league of Naval powers with this. Imagine having our own 11000 ton destroyer with 112 UVLS. I fapped to this till 3 in this morning, then passed out. :)
WTF.

Bhai don't go too much that you become a skeleton by the time NGD leaves for sea trials.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
Instead navy should use BrahMos approach and make VLS in which one cell holds 2 or more missiles, cold launch is better than Hot launch.

Sent from my Aqua Ace II using Tapatalk

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Indian Navy does not currently have a universal VLS (UVLS).
There is no such thing as a universal VLS. The US system, the French system and even the Chinese system are all modular. They cannot launch all missiles from a universal canister. Considering the differences in lengths and diameter of various missiles, it is not feasible to do so.

binayak95

Country flag
There is no such thing as a universal VLS. The US system, the French system and even the Chinese system are all modular. They cannot launch all missiles from a universal canister. Considering the differences in lengths and diameter of various missiles, it is not feasible to do so.
I believe that is taken as granted. And which is why we are discussing quad packing of SAMs and maybe even fillers for Nirbhay.

Aghore_King

Country flag
There was also a news on long range supersonic kalibs like missile , any updates on that

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles