Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Tanmay

Country flag
JFD, part of James Fisher and Sons plc, has completed the first stage of harbour acceptance trials of its first deep search and rescue vehicle (DSRV) for the Indian Navy’s 3rd Generation Submarine Rescue System.

The initial harbour acceptance trials of the first DSRV, which were undertaken at Glasgow’s King George V dock, are now complete. As part of this process the system has been comprehensively tested in a variety of conditions.

The DSRV hull previously underwent factory acceptance tests in December 2017 at the JFD-owned National Hyperbaric Centre in Aberdeen. These tests included thorough pressurised testing on the system’s pressure hulls and command module – all of which were completed successfully.

Upon completion of the harbour acceptance trials, the DSRV will be fully integrated with the rest of the rescue system at a site in Glasgow including the offshore handling system, intervention suite and 90 person decompression facilities.

Speaking on the development, Ben Sharples, India DSRV project director at JFD said:

“The completion of the initial harbour acceptance trials for the first DSRV, to be delivered to the Indian Navy, is an important step in the delivery of this contract. This is part of the progressive acceptance of the system designed to drive out risk during the later stages of sea acceptance.

JFD’s 3rd Generation DSRV marks a significant and pioneering step-change in real world submarine rescue capability. It is one of the deepest submarine rescue vehicles available and is weight optimised for maximum payload and optimum transportability. It has high levels of in-water performance including speed and manoeuvrability and can mate with submarines that might be subject to inclination on the seabed.

We are pleased of the progress that has been made in delivering on this important contract and look forward to the DSRV becoming operational later this year.”

The 3rd Generation Submarine Rescue System has been developed by JFD to maximise the chances of successfully rescuing the crew of a distressed submarine (DISSUB). Using its 30 years of experience and knowledge it has challenged the convention and brought to market an innovative new system that ensures the highest standards in safety, quality, flexibility and speed, thereby better protecting the lives of submariners.

Under the £193m contract, awarded in March 2016, JFD is providing two complete flyaway submarine rescue systems to the Indian Navy, including DSRVs, Launch and Recovery Systems (LARS) equipment, Transfer Under Pressure (TUP) systems, and all logistics and support equipment required to operate the service. The equipment has been designed, manufactured, integrated and tested by JFD prior to shipping in March 2018 for final commissioning and trials. The full, certified systems are due to be delivered to the customer in June 2018.

https://www.james-fisher.com/services/submarine-rescue/

Prashant12

Country flag
NPOL’s torpedo defence system to equip Navy

An artist's impression of how the Maareech advanced torpedo decoy system functions.

Defence council clears purchase worth ₹850 crore
An advanced system developed by a consortium of Indian Defence laboratories led by the Thrikkakara-based Naval Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL) to defend naval ships against torpedo attack will now be integrated on as many as 30 ships operated by the Indian Navy.

While 11 ships will be equipped with the full system, named Maareech Advanced Torpedo Decoy System, the remaining will get just the torpedo countermeasure capability that’s part of it.

Acquisition cleared

The Defence Acquisition Council, led by Defence Minister Nirmala Seetharaman, on Tuesday cleared acquisition of the anti-submarine warfare (ASW) and non-ASW variants of the system which will be manufactured by Bharat Electronics. Initially, systems worth ₹850 crore will be acquired to arm warships.

Two systems are already functional on INS Ganga and Gomati which were used for user evaluation trials of the indigenously-developed systems.

“The survival capability of a ship is greater if the attacking torpedo can be detected early and also at a range equal to or more than the escape range of the platform under attack. A fully integrated Maareech system has both torpedo detection and countermeasure capability,’’ said R. Rajesh, NPOL scientist and spokesperson.

Tactical advantage

‘‘Also, the system offers tactical advantage by classification of the torpedo along with localisation and target motion parameters. The escape solutions are then evolved which will advise the crew of the ship on the most appropriate manoeuvre and countermeasure actions necessary to defeat the threat,” said Mr. Rajesh.

Besides the NPOL, Visakhapatnam-based Naval Science and Technological Laboratory was involved in developing the system. The torpedo defence sonar that is part of Maareech was developed by a team led by project director K. Ajith Kumar, NPOL scientist.

Major milestone

S. Kedarnath Shenoy, NPOL director, said that the induction of Maareech would be a major milestone for naval research and development as it would be the first time the indigenously designed towed array sonar system would be arming Indian warships.

With this, the NPOL has now successfully developed multiple configurations of sonars such as hull mounted sonars for ships, submarine sonar systems, towed array sonars and airborne dunking sonar systems for the Navy.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...ence-system-to-equip-navy/article22778173.ece

Shashwat

Country flag
Let's agree with you for a moment.

Can you please give me any news that shows keel laying ceremony of 2nd, 3rd and 4th scorpene? I can see frontal hull of 4th Kalvari-class submarine but still can't see any news of its keel laying ceremony.

If proven wrong, I will ask a moderator to delete my posts.
What is there to agree? You posted something wrong and I corrected it.

Your post lists P15 B #4, which is nowhere near construction, P15B is a surface combatant, not a submarine I think you are getting confused. The construction philosophy dictates a new keel will only be laid once the previous ship is floated. Its pretty obvious with their timeline.

I am not sure when the keel for Kalvari was laid up but by now all the submarine must be in advanced stages of construction. No wonder 2 of the submarines will be welded together (boot up) this year http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...-programme-makes-progress/article22637521.ece

As far as the pontoon - the image is not very clear so I am not sure whether that is a frontal portion or something else. BTW Mazagaon dock is very much limited to that part only so I am skeptical whether they have the capability to manufacture and weld different pieces of the submarine in the different area. From the videos, i had seen I'd wager they are manufactured and welded in one building. It was very evident when French DM visited MDL cant seen to locate those pics now. Moreover, modular construction will commence with P17-A no sooner than that.

Moreover @shiphone already posted this even before GE images were updated for India http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...am-class-destroyer.57747/page-11#post-1401562

Butter Chicken

Country flag
Endurance mode user trial of Land-based Prototype (LBP) for Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) System for submarines for a period of 14 days was successfully completed at Naval Materials Research Laboratory (NMRL), Ambernath, on 2 December 2017. Primary performance parameters as per trial directives were met satisfactorily. The endurance trial was carried out in presence of Indian Navy and part of the plant was operated by Navy’s representatives. Easy operability and safe operation of the plant was appreciated by the user.

https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/newsletter/2018/feb_18.pdf

binayak95

Country flag
Endurance mode user trial of Land-based Prototype (LBP) for Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) System for submarines for a period of 14 days was successfully completed at Naval Materials Research Laboratory (NMRL), Ambernath, on 2 December 2017. Primary performance parameters as per trial directives were met satisfactorily. The endurance trial was carried out in presence of Indian Navy and part of the plant was operated by Navy’s representatives. Easy operability and safe operation of the plant was appreciated by the user.

https://www.drdo.gov.in/drdo/pub/newsletter/2018/feb_18.pdf
Finally, some good news! Things had become silent as far as the indigenous AIP tech was concerned. Timing is good too. The AddOn Scorpenes (no 7 and 8) would use this.

ash2win

Tanmay

Country flag
Naval Air Station Development of Naval Air Station (NAS) will involve construction of a fully operational and capable airfield with associated infrastructure and a wide range of facilities which support the air operations. The Naval Air Station, Karwar, is required to be provided with a main runway, a cross runway, and maintenance, logistics and administrative facilities to support the operations of the following types of military aircraft:
(a) Dornier 228/ Embraer type MR afaircrt.
(b) Transit operation by the Indian Air Force and Indian Army Aircraft.
(c) Helicopters (Sea King, Chetak, Kamov 31, and other new types of helicopters that may be acquired by Indian Navy in the future, approximate total: 40 numbers).
(d) Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)
The total area of the site, where the naval Air Station is to be constructed, is approximately 1,328 acres. The site is marginally undulated with high terrain on south east side of the site.

https://www.indiannavy.nic.in/conte...ervision-naval-air-station-part-seabird-phase

I was hoping for a parallel runway. Alas it is a cross runway.
Seems navy doesn't want to base any heavy MPRs there. All smaller planes, helos and UAVs.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Technology Perspective and Capability RoadMap-Indian navy

View attachment 23450 View attachment 23451
#13 Is confusing.
Is it 5-10 Next Gen. Destroyers or 5-10 Next Gen. Frigates?
Are we only thinking of a total of 10 more Next generation capital ships (Destroyers and Frigates) after the P-17A and P-15B programs?
This is a little disappointing. I was expecting more Frigates.

#15 Next Gen Corvette: I remember reading that there were to be 8 more corvettes of the P-28A class (follow-on class of P-28, Kamorta Corvettes). Are these NG Corvettes the same? Or do they plan on these to be a new design? And if these are a new design, does that mean there will be no P-28A class? Or will this NG class of corvettes be ordered over and above the P-28A class?

#14 #16 #17 #18 #19 are already seeing some progress. :india2:

aditya g

Country flag
#13 Is confusing.
Is it 5-10 Next Gen. Destroyers or 5-10 Next Gen. Frigates?
Are we only thinking of a total of 10 more Next generation capital ships (Destroyers and Frigates) after the P-17A and P-15B programs?
This is a little disappointing. I was expecting more Frigates.

#15 Next Gen Corvette: I remember reading that there were to be 8 more corvettes of the P-28A class (follow-on class of P-28, Kamorta Corvettes). Are these NG Corvettes the same? Or do they plan on these to be a new design? And if these are a new design, does that mean there will be no P-28A class? Or will this NG class of corvettes be ordered over and above the P-28A class?

#14 #16 #17 #18 #19 are already seeing some progress. :india2:
This means the Navy has unified the next generation destroyer and frigate into a single platform - a prudent choice.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles