Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
What kind of radars or ships and submarines are islamic countries able to make?
Most notable Islamic country who has done relatively better in terms of enhancement and indigenisation of their navy is Iran.

They are currently in the process of building 7500 tons, Khalije Fars class destroyer. Which will use an indigenous 3D phased array radar called Asr.

Vijyes

India may finally agree to buy the Japanese ShinMaywa US-2i amphibious aircraft in a deal worth $1.30 billion for the Navy during the visit of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe during September 13-14. 12 units deal signed said Yusuf sir. 18 under Make In IndiaView attachment 20040
We already have dornier amphibious aircraft (not D228). Don't we? What is the difference between this US2i?

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
We already have dornier amphibious aircraft (not D228). Don't we? What is the difference between this US2i?
Dornier Seastar:

1. India have licence to built only Do-228, Seastar is not included.
2. Seastar is not comparable with U2i in size, capacity, or even endurance.

complete report about U2i attached below.

=======================================================================================

India may agree to buy Japanese US-2i aircraft for $1.3 billion

India may finally agree to buy the Japanese ShinMaywa US-2i amphibious aircraft in a deal worth $1.30 billion for the Navy during the visit of Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe during September 13-14.

The deal, it seems, got finalised during a meeting between former Defence Minister Arun Jaitley and Japanese Minister of Defence Itsunori Onodera during September 5-6 in Tokyo, sources told BusinessLine.

According to sources, Jaitley’s meeting with Onodera had been “fruitful” in the backdrop of Japan sweetening the deal by offering 10-15 per cent discount on each of the plan that cost over $100 million.

India plans to buy 12 of this search-and-rescue (SAR) maritime surveillance aircraft which the Indian Navy plans to deploy strategically at the Andaman and Nicobar Islands with the objective of carrying out patrols in the larger Indian Ocean Region (IOR).

However, the deal has been stuck for over seven years now due to the high cost of the planes. According to the agreed plan, the Ministry of Defence will be buying 12 planes off the shelf. Subsequently, at a later stage the government will be procuring 18 more that will be built in India under the ‘Make in India’ programme.

Next phase

“Building the plane here will be next phase of the deal. As of now the focus is on procuring the 12 planes in fly-away condition.

“This is because having a platform is an absolute necessity for the Navy. And there are few suppliers for this kind of an aircraft. This will be a great asset in protecting our interest in the IOR,” said an official, involved in the deal.

The deal, talks for which began around 2010, got a major boost when the Abe government decided to lift the ban on exporting Japanese arms to the world in April 2014.

Following this, during the last annual India-Japan Annual Summit in December 2015, both Abe and Prime Minister Narendra Modi agreed to expedite the US-2i programme.

“Defence cooperation with Japan remains a priority for us. I cannot prejudge what the outcome will be on US-2i during this visit because the outcome is under works now,” said Pranay Verma, Joint Secretary (East Asia), Ministry of External Affairs.

According to the joint statement that was issued post Jaitley’s visit to Japan, progress had been made in the field of defence equipment and technology cooperation including in the framework of the Joint Working Group on Defence Equipment and Technology Cooperation as well as regarding the cooperation on US-2 amphibious aircraft.

Rahul Gangal, Partner (Aerospace and Defence), Roland Berger, said: “While cost is one of the factors, there is also a strategic need to acquire these planes. I believe the deal should be expeditiously signed.”

Vinod DX9

Country flag
Do-228 isn't ambhibious I think. A light transport/maritime surveillance/light AShP role

S.Balaji

Country flag
The Indian navy could use the US-2i for a number of roles, such as
  • crew rotation at sea,
  • supply of spares to ships,
  • long-range search and rescue and surveillance.
Given its range of 4,700 kilometers, the Indian Navy can station the aircraft off the Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal, from where they would have been able to conduct surveillance patrols across the entire eastern Indian Ocean region, well into the .The aircraft’s has short take off capability and has ability to land on tides as high as three meters.

Prashant12

Country flag
Hyundai-HSL to build first of five Fleet Support Ships

The vessel is expected to be rolled out from its facility in South Korea in 2022

The strategic partnership to be finalised between leading shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries Co. Ltd of South Korea and Hindustan Shipyard Limited, the Visakhapatnam-based Ministry of Defence Undertaking, will see construction of Fleet Support Ships for the Indian Navy in both the countries.

The agreement is expected to be inked in mid-2018. Talks are in progress between the MoD and its counterpart in South Korea.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi had visited Hyundai in May 2015 during which the issue of mutual cooperation was discussed.

HSL Chairman and Managing Director Rear Admiral L.V. Sarat Babu said on Wednesday that the first ship was expected to roll out in October 2022 from the Hyundai facility in South Korea. Simultaneously, the construction of another FSS would start at HSL with the expert guidance of Hyundai.

“Our plan is to roll out one FSS every 10 months after the delivery of the first vessel from Hyundai,” the CMD told The Hindu.

Such ships are used for replenishment of manpower, weapons, and provisions from one vessel to another.

Total cost

The total cost of the five FSS would be around ₹9,500 crore, he said. A discussion was held between India and South Korea on the course ahead last month. Timelines and strategies would be finalised shortly. The MoD agreed to place the order for FSS on HSL on nomination basis.

Mini submarines

The process of refilling the request for proposal (RFP) on two Special Operational Vessels is now in process.

Rear Admiral Sarat Babu said they would get an order for two SOVs on nomination basis. The value of the order for both the vessels would be around ₹2,500 crore.

SOVs are also known as mini submarines or midgets. The construction of SOVs involves complex technology.

For HSL, it would not be a difficult task as it has proven experience in submarine retrofitting of INS Sindhukirti and other submarines of the Indian Navy.

Now, it has undertaken the contract for retrofitting of INS Sindhuvir.

The refit of Russia-made INS Sindhuvir, an EKM Class submarine, will be completed in 27 months at a cost of ₹500 crore.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...-five-fleet-support-ships/article19679125.ece

rohit b3

Country flag
A brief history on India's Fleet Support Ships.

In the year 2000, the Indian Navy commissioned the only ship of the Aditya Class Fleet Support ship, which is around 25,000 tons made by GRSE.
Instead of continuing to develop and upgrade the Aditya Class further , the Navy and the Govt. quietly ditched the indigenous efforts and bought 2 Fleet support ships from Italy, made up of poor quality steel.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...ed-inferior-steel-in-naval-ship/1/667443.html

Obviously a decent amount of kickbacks were paid to the Navy and the Govt.

And now after our indigenous capability was destroyed , we are asking S.Korea's Hyundai, who themselves have very little experience on building large Fleet Support ships for technology.

Thought people should know, especially after this line on the article " Simultaneously, the construction of another FSS would start at HSL with the expert guidance of Hyundai."

Vijyes

Why so easily our indigenous capacity get destroyed ? It's just 15 years ago GRSE bulid those ships ?
We need quick transfer of simple Technology to save time, I guess. I won't agree that our capacity was destroyed. It was stagnated is more correct. So, now we need to accelerate it

sorcerer

Country flag
Indian Navy Kilo submarine Sindhuraj transported to Russia for modernization
The Indian Navy’s Sindhughosh-class diesel-electric submarine INS Sindhuraj has arrived in Russia for her second life extension refit and modernization procedure.

Built by Russian shipbuilder Sevmash and commissioned into the Indian Navy in October 1987, Sindhuraj is one of currently nine active Kilo-class (Project 08773) submarines in service.

For her modernization work, Sindhuraj was transported from India to Russia aboard the heavy lift vessel Rolldock Storm, operated by Dutch shipping company Rolldock.

The submarine’s voyage began on August 4, 2017 with Rolldock Storm reaching the port of Severodvinsk on September 14 following a trip around the southern tip of Africa.

Zvezdochka Ship Repair Center (part of United Shipbuilding Corporation) will be in charge of the two-year overhaul during which the submarine will be fitted with the Russian 3M-54 Kalibr land attack cruise missile, in addition to other repairs.
http://navaltoday.com/2017/09/15/in...uraj-transported-to-russia-for-modernization/

Vijyes

For comparison sake ..
The last time I read, Russia had sold an aircraft carrier at 2.4 billion dollars weighing 45 thousand tons. Are you sure that a measly 4 ton frigate is charged 2.7 billion? There must be a mistake. India would have bought another aircraft carrier for that price! and that too from Russia itself

rohit b3

Country flag
The last time I read, Russia had sold an aircraft carrier at 2.4 billion dollars weighing 45 thousand tons. Are you sure that a measly 4 ton frigate is charged 2.7 billion? There must be a mistake. India would have bought another aircraft carrier for that price! and that too from Russia itself
Most likely, 360mil$ is cost of each Shivalik Class Frigate, but 2.7 Bil is the cost of all 6 Talwar Class Frigates .i.e around 450mil$ per Frigate.
Still paying more for a less capable Frigate.

rohit b3

Country flag
Most likely, 360mil$ is cost of each Shivalik Class Frigate, but 2.7 Bil is the cost of all 6 Talwar Class Frigates .i.e around 450mil$ per Frigate.

Even in future deals, both a Talwar follow on and a far superior Project 17A would cost roughly 1Bil$-1.1Bil$ each. Infact, if this Talwar Class is cancelled and the Project 17A gets additional orders for 3-4 more ships, Cost per unit may go down further.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Probably it's not about the cost, rather all defence shipyard bookorders are full for the next decade.

If I am not wrong they have to reach their target of 199 ships and subs by 2030.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles