Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power

INS Ganga on her last sortie, to be decommissioned this year. She served the nation for 32 years. She extracted Indian troops from Somalia during UN peacekeeping mission in 1994. She was commissioned on 30 December 1985.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Would the Navy not need a heavy lift helicopter in the ~35 ton class like the CH-53 Super Stallion for its amphibious fleet after it inducts the LHD?
Also, the RFI for LHD mentions the requirement to be able to carry atleast 10 heavy lift helicopters. Do we know the weight class of these? The confusion I have arose since USMC classifies these 35 ton class as their heavy lifter and the French classify a 12 ton class as their heavy lifter.

If the Indian Navy is looking to classify the 35 ton as heavy lift helicopter, the Mistral is out since its lifts cannot raise >13 tons and it has only one spot on the deck that can accommodate a 35 ton class helicopter. The Juan Carlos can handle larger and heavier (confirmed upto 22 tons) aircraft than the Mistral, but am not sure if it can handle 35 ton helicopters.

I don't know, maybe the Navy will go for the MV-22 Osprey. It has a much larger combat radius but lower payload and troop carrying capacity than the CH-53. It also takes up a lot of space and requires the flight deck to be reinforced to bear higher temperatures. All this makes me think that even if the Navy acquires Osprey, these would never fly off of LHD.
There is no way the Navy will buy Chinook, is there?

The question I mean to ask is, what is the "10 heavy lift helicopter" requirement in the LHD RFI?
  • ~35-ton class? (CH-53) [Not sure if any LHD prospect can handle this]
  • ~22-ton class? (Chinook, Osprey) [Not sure if the Navy is interested in these for transport roles]
  • <13-ton class? (S-70 Seahawk, NH-90, IMRH, Sea King, Ka-31) [WTF?]

Last edited:

shane bond

Any idea if the construction of INS Paradip has started? The previous two ships ( Vizag and Mormugao) were launched 1.5 years after the keel was laid. But no news so far about Paradip and Porbandar.

Prashant12

Country flag
L&T Launches Navy’s Floating Dock: Reaffirms Capabilities To Deliver Defence Projects On Time

Kattupalli: Larsen & Toubro today announced the launch of a Floating Dock (FDN-2) designed and built for the Indian Navy at the company’s greenfield shipyard at Kattupalli, near Chennai. This marks a significant achievement for L&T’s Shipbuilding arm in Design, Construction and Project Management of Defence Vessels.

The Floating Dock will be delivered at Port Blair well within contracted schedule, reaffirming L&T’s capabilities to execute and deliver Defence projects on time using Indian design, indigenous technologies and construction skills.

On completion of its launch at Kattupalli, FDN-2 would be put through a series of harbour trials before delivery to the Navy. Once operationalised, it would enhance the technical repair infrastructure of the Navy for ships based at the Andaman & Nicobar Islands as well as for visiting Naval ships. Commenting on the launch, Mr. S.N. Subrahmanyan, Managing Director (Designate) and President, Larsen & Toubro, said: “While winning our first mandate from the Indian Navy was satisfying, I am particularly delighted that we have also been able to execute and deliver the FDN-2 well within schedule.”

“We are pleased to have delivered on the faith reposed in us by the Indian Navy for our in-house capabilities of design and construction of Naval platforms, meeting stringent standards and specifications and at the same time achieving them with exemplary Program Management practices well-within contracted timelines,” Mr. Subrahmanyan added.

Mr. Jayant Patil said: “It is an affirmation of the in-house capabilities and track record of L&T that we are launching the FDN-2 for the Indian Navy ahead of schedule today, as a sequel to having already delivered 32 interceptor boats to Indian Coast Guard. This has been made possible by dedication and commitment of the team at L&T, our relationship of trust with Indian Navy across the value chain for Naval platforms and the forward-looking policies pursued by the Government to facilitate procurement of indigenous equipment for our Armed Forces.”

“L&T has invested in building state-of-the-art facilities at Kattupalli, and we look forward to continued service to the Indian Navy in endeavours of National capability building,” Mr. Patil added.
The Floating Dock, which is the first Naval shipbuilding project for L&T, is 185m long and 40m wide, and is designed for docking Indian Naval ships and submarines of up to 8000 T displacement with draughts of up to 7 m, during both day and night. Simultaneous docking of multiple ships, and off-centre docking options are also feasible. The entire design and construction process has been progressively certified by Lloyds Register of Shipping Society and overseen by the Navy’s resident team at Kattupalli. The dock, which conforms to internationally accepted norms, incorporates a fully automated ballast control system, inducting state-of-the-art technology in its equipment.

“The main challenge faced on this project, as it would characteristically be in any first ship of a class, pertained to managing design and production activities concurrently,” elaborated Vice Admiral B. Kannan. “We have achieved a high level on this through Digital Shipbuilding technologies as well as through a focused approach of ‘getting it right first time’ duly reinforced by the rich work ethics of L&T.”

The Floating Dock has been designed as a versatile dock that can be installed either along a jetty or moored in calm waters enabling round-the-year operation. It is provided with a hauling-in system to handle a ship’s docking and undocking operations. It can also support ships berthed along its side and meet their logistics requirements.

L&T has also been mandated by the Coast Guard to design and build seven Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs). Two of these OPVs are to be launched in the second half of this financial year, on schedule.
In addition, L&T is also undertaking repairs and refits of Naval and Coast Guard ships regularly and delivered six refit ships (including the largest Logistics Tanker ship INS Jyoti) from its shipyard at Kattupalli, which now is focusing only on Defence orders.

http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2017/06/l-launches-navys-floating-dock.html

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
L&T Launches Navy’s Floating Dock: Reaffirms Capabilities To Deliver Defence Projects On Time

Kattupalli: Larsen & Toubro today announced the launch of a Floating Dock (FDN-2) designed and built for the Indian Navy at the company’s greenfield shipyard at Kattupalli, near Chennai. This marks a significant achievement for L&T’s Shipbuilding arm in Design, Construction and Project Management of Defence Vessels.

The Floating Dock will be delivered at Port Blair well within contracted schedule, reaffirming L&T’s capabilities to execute and deliver Defence projects on time using Indian design, indigenous technologies and construction skills.

On completion of its launch at Kattupalli, FDN-2 would be put through a series of harbour trials before delivery to the Navy. Once operationalised, it would enhance the technical repair infrastructure of the Navy for ships based at the Andaman & Nicobar Islands as well as for visiting Naval ships. Commenting on the launch, Mr. S.N. Subrahmanyan, Managing Director (Designate) and President, Larsen & Toubro, said: “While winning our first mandate from the Indian Navy was satisfying, I am particularly delighted that we have also been able to execute and deliver the FDN-2 well within schedule.”

“We are pleased to have delivered on the faith reposed in us by the Indian Navy for our in-house capabilities of design and construction of Naval platforms, meeting stringent standards and specifications and at the same time achieving them with exemplary Program Management practices well-within contracted timelines,” Mr. Subrahmanyan added.

Mr. Jayant Patil said: “It is an affirmation of the in-house capabilities and track record of L&T that we are launching the FDN-2 for the Indian Navy ahead of schedule today, as a sequel to having already delivered 32 interceptor boats to Indian Coast Guard. This has been made possible by dedication and commitment of the team at L&T, our relationship of trust with Indian Navy across the value chain for Naval platforms and the forward-looking policies pursued by the Government to facilitate procurement of indigenous equipment for our Armed Forces.”

“L&T has invested in building state-of-the-art facilities at Kattupalli, and we look forward to continued service to the Indian Navy in endeavours of National capability building,” Mr. Patil added.
The Floating Dock, which is the first Naval shipbuilding project for L&T, is 185m long and 40m wide, and is designed for docking Indian Naval ships and submarines of up to 8000 T displacement with draughts of up to 7 m, during both day and night. Simultaneous docking of multiple ships, and off-centre docking options are also feasible. The entire design and construction process has been progressively certified by Lloyds Register of Shipping Society and overseen by the Navy’s resident team at Kattupalli. The dock, which conforms to internationally accepted norms, incorporates a fully automated ballast control system, inducting state-of-the-art technology in its equipment.

“The main challenge faced on this project, as it would characteristically be in any first ship of a class, pertained to managing design and production activities concurrently,” elaborated Vice Admiral B. Kannan. “We have achieved a high level on this through Digital Shipbuilding technologies as well as through a focused approach of ‘getting it right first time’ duly reinforced by the rich work ethics of L&T.”

The Floating Dock has been designed as a versatile dock that can be installed either along a jetty or moored in calm waters enabling round-the-year operation. It is provided with a hauling-in system to handle a ship’s docking and undocking operations. It can also support ships berthed along its side and meet their logistics requirements.

L&T has also been mandated by the Coast Guard to design and build seven Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs). Two of these OPVs are to be launched in the second half of this financial year, on schedule.
In addition, L&T is also undertaking repairs and refits of Naval and Coast Guard ships regularly and delivered six refit ships (including the largest Logistics Tanker ship INS Jyoti) from its shipyard at Kattupalli, which now is focusing only on Defence orders.

http://www.indiandefensenews.in/2017/06/l-launches-navys-floating-dock.html
Wow, I never knew this was a thing. In fact, I am still not 100% certain of the capabilities of a floating dock.

I know FDN-2 (like FDN-1) is meant as a support ship, but if this does have its own propulsion, then could we not use this in Amphibious ops to augment existing capabilities if such a need arises?

It is effectively like a large well-deck, so we can put loaded assault craft in there with tanks or BMP-2 or Kestrel or other equipment. The problem is that it cannot carry the troops. However, the troops to man these can be carried in troopships like the Nicobar-class (each of which can carry upto 8 LCVP and 1200 troops). The problem is the time taken to embark men onto these. They will have to embark the small LCVPs in turns and then transfer to the FDN for embarkation. Unless there is a way in which the troopships themselves can dock on the outside of the FDN and transfer troops directly.

FDN-2 can embark:-
  • 14 LCAC (USN LCAC)
    • Each LCAC can carry 180 troops and gear or one 60 ton tank and some troops.
  • 8 LCU Mk-4
    • Each Mk-4 LCU can carry 160 troops + 56 crew + 145 tonnes of military equipment
    • Or 2 T-72 tanks
    • Or 4 BMP-2
The above might be feasible, but I am not sure if the following will be feasible since it would involve the FDN getting too close to land making it vulnerable:-

IMHO With minor modifications to allow transportation of vehicles, the ship can carry ~260 BMP-2 (>4 regiments). One regiment has a manpower strength of ~1050 men, so we might have to rely on some civilian transport ships (from the government) that ply in the Andaman islands since the INS Andaman and INS Nicobar alone might not be able to carry all the troops.

Also, I hear that FDN-1 is larger. What if we use both FDN-1 and FDN-2 in such a role?:lehappy:

Everything I said goes right out the window if this FDN thingy is not self-propelled. So yeah, some confirmation on that end is welcome.:rofl:

Unless there is a way we could build a tugboat to tow this ship in loaded condition to the AO for the Amphibious assault. :hmm:..............across the high seas:troll:

Superdefender

I am asking a question to all respected members. It is an idea. What would you think if I say that to further strengthen India-US defence relations, USA should sell India a decommissioned, non-nuclear aircraft carrier for $1-2 billion? Would it be a viable offer to India during PM's visit?

captscooby81

Country flag
Well this was already i think discussed before ..Still lets discuss ..These Nuclear ACs are very high maintenance and we don t have the infrastructure to even service them if i am not wrong ..Plus that $2 billion can be spent on few new warships by IN at this moment our biggest problem is the budget nothing else if we have the appetite like china or even russian defence budget we can go for it ..

But if we can buy an ACs i would like to buy it like Wet lease type ACs along with all the Fighters on the deck that would be really worth ..Why just buy AC when you don t have the Fighters to operate in it ...

I am asking a question to all respected members. It is an idea. What would you think if I say that to further strengthen India-US defence relations, USA should sell India a decommissioned, non-nuclear aircraft carrier for $1-2 billion? Would it be a viable offer to India during PM's visit?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles