Indian Muslims Have a Better Sex Ratio Than Hindus

Discussion in 'Religion & Culture' started by Vishwarupa, May 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vishwarupa

Vishwarupa Senior Member Senior Member

angalore: The first episode of the much-hyped and eagerly awaited talk show ‘’Satyameva Jayate’’ recently went on air on Star Plus. The show, hosted by Bollywood actor Amir Khan, aims to bring social issues to light. Khan, who is being hailed as India’s Oprah Winfrey has managed to do what countless organizations and government initiatives have failed to do: put female feticide in the national spotlight.

The statistical evidence presented in the show is indeed disturbing. As per 2011 census, the sex ratio of children under the age of six was 914 girls for every 1000 boys. Studies show that in a natural world, without human interference or manipulation, the sex ratio should ideally be 1,020 females per 1,000 males.

An interesting fact, however, is that India’s Muslims have a better sex ratio. According to the data analyzed from the 2001 census, the sex ratio of Hindus who make up close to 80 percent of the population was 931 while that of Muslims who make up less than 15 percent of the population was 936. A difference of five extra girls per 1,000 boys may seem small but when it’s analyzed in the larger context, it makes a significant difference. This comes as a slap-on-the face of all who believed Islam oppresses women.

There is compelling evidence to show that this analysis is not just a fluke. So, does this finding reflect the Muslim beliefs and values? It’s certainly possible but could something in addition to this also be at work? India RealTime takes a look at this interesting phenomenon
    A family, wanting to have only one child but culturally compelled to have a boy is more likely to engage in the shameful act of female feticide. In her book “Unnatural Selection”, Mara Hvistendahl has documented a similar phenomenon observed in China. A family that wants to have more number of children, on the other hand, isn’t very particular about whether a boy or a girl comes first, as long as the highly desirable boy is eventually born.

To put it simply, it’s possible that Muslims have a better sex ratio because they have bigger families. Religion and culture plays an important albeit subtle role in determining people’s inclination towards preferring a son. Islam discourages Muslims from using contraception which is probably why they have bigger families and hence better sex ratio.

Is it possible to change deeply held beliefs and prejudices? Khan’s TV show certainly seemed to have the right elements needed to bring about this change.

Nagraj likes this.
  3. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

May I ask for the source of statistics ?

4. Nagraj

Nagraj Regular Member

@ nrj
    According to the data analyzed from the 2001 census

5. Nagraj

Nagraj Regular Member

6. LalTopi

LalTopi Regular Member

Good for them. But the ratio is still skewed in the wrong direction.
    I must say I saw Amir Khan's programme and was very impressed. Hopefully he will stir the national concious on this and other issues.

7. ashdoc

ashdoc Senior Member Senior Member

just like jainism and catholicism , islam absolutely forbids abortion . the prophet took special steps to forbid killing of female child which was prevalant in preislamic arabia .

Last edited: May 10, 2012
  8. Razor

Razor CIDs from Tamilnadu Senior Member

9. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

its good lets show this to pakis

10. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

pakis are already seeing it on star tv like they do all serials :pound:

Blackwater likes this.
  11. Godless-Kafir

Godless-Kafir DFI Buddha Senior Member

Even a educated old friend of mine told me it is wrong and they dont believe in population control! Hmm..

I was pissed and blasted him but he did not get the point.

12. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Muslims also have a higher TFR than Hindus. Avoiding abortion is all fine but birth control in a overpopulated country like India should be compulsary.

maomao and Zoravar like this.
  13. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

I think this is a better explanation of the sex ratio. Sex ratio in states like Punjab, Haryana etc is low across religions whereas in some other southern states it is higher. Article by Rukmini Srinivasan in TOI. On all India basis sex ration for Hindus - 925, Christians - 954, Muslims - 950, Jains - 840 and Sikhs - 786. OTOH in Kerala Hindus - 961, Christians - 960 and Muslims - 959. Literacy is not the factor here as Sikhs and Jains have better literacy [Jains in fact have very high literacy], neither lack of poverty as again Sikhs and Jains are among the most prosperous. Culture seems to be the guiding factor rather than religion.

Change, beyond religion

14. SinghSher1984

SinghSher1984 Tihar Jail Banned

It's age old Rajput practice as burden of dowry because we have girl give boy dowry while in other places it is opposite.

Since Jatt, Tarkhan, and Gujjar clans all have Rajput/Saka origin and they form large proportion of north population there you have it.

Since it is becoming more taboo to kill live child in India vs abortion, it may also be that Indian Muslims generally being poorer can't afford ultrasounds?

They don't really have a split in culture, and it'll remain to be seen what happens.

The situation in East Punjab (delhi, haryana, chandigarh, h.p, sikh region) is improving though.

edit - Should have addressed this:

This comes as a slap-on-the face of all who believed Islam oppresses women.

Sharia rules of 2 women = 1 man is all I have to say.

Taqqiyah and Kitman are two other words I shall use that you should google. :) (hint, lying to protect and increase the religion)

VJKVJF||

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  15. TrueSpirit

TrueSpirit Senior Member Senior Member

@SinghSher1984: Could you please explain the above hyphenation of Rajput/Saka origin ?

I mean, which of these communities you assume to be descendants of Saka/Scythian origin?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  16. SinghSher1984

SinghSher1984 Tihar Jail Banned

The scythian (male side) origin of all four of those communities who all stem from Rajput Kshatriyas btw is well-known. I can elaborate in the morning, but that gives you plenty of time to do research. :p

The jatland wiki, which outline gotra history is an easy one too see rajput and jatt linkages or even other general stuff.

Jatt for example comes from Zaat or Jaat or w.e meaning no caste aka rajputs who started farming. But, yea it's genetically shown and everything even the pashtun jewish thing is a laughable picture-book at best (if that).

17. TrueSpirit

TrueSpirit Senior Member Senior Member

Yes, culture & better access to abortion facilities, in blatant violation of laws. As some communities become prosperous, they are more prone to exercise their influence (read, throw their weight around) in their quest for getting things done (howsoever, unethical, inhumane & anti-religious, it may be) & getting away with it.

18. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

Religion has nothing to with sex ratio. may be it does if the religion favours one sex over another. But largely it has to do with customs and values. Communities and caste where dowry is still prevalent have a bad sex ratio. Marwari community is a prosperous community. It is also very conservative. Even with such wealth and high literacy rate it still has a very bad sex ratio (even in urban areas). Dowry is the main reason behind it.

19. Dark Sorrow

Dark Sorrow Respected Member Senior Member

Why we talk about Muslims and Hindus? We are just Indian. PLEASE STOP DISTINGUISHING US ON BASIS OF OUR RELIGION, CASTE and CREED.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.