Indian Martian exploration program

aerokan

Country flag
Re: Why ISRO's Mars mission,launching next week, is the cheapest

NASA, ESA & ISRO should join their investment and resources. That would make a huge advancement in space projects. Russian ROSKOSMOS & Japan's JAXA are also welcome but I am not sure of China's CNSA.
It is always good to co-operate building on each other's strengths. Some will develop new methods which others manipulate those methods to bring cost effectiveness and drive the advantages to the masses. As for China, I would be surprised if China doesn't claim mars saying that mars belongs to China as mars is called "Red" Planet :pound:

CrYsIs

Country flag

I just hope our scientists are paid like their american counterparts so that more Indians join ISRO rather than going to NASA.
unfortunately thats not the case,most ISRO scientists are paid peanuts for their hard effort!It's another thing is that many are willing to work for peanuts because the nature of the job which is very interesting and challenging.

CrYsIs

Country flag

There are some people in India who think ISRO's Mars is a waste of time & money, India should spend on toilets etc etc.......... Well ISRO is the only govt. organization which is doing so well in the field of science & technology. Diverting funds won't improve the condition of poor in India. Enough funds are already allocated towards poverty eradication. It's just that those funds aren't properly utilized.

Those who clamor for "feed the people,feed the people" often forget that to feed people you need money and this money comes from industrialization,trade and investment and indian space program is a part of India's industrialization process where hundreds of thousands of people are directly and indirectly employed.

The whole country benefits from india's space program visa vie TV broadcasting,mobile & internet communication,disaster management,cliamte change monitoring ,urban planning,national security,fishery,agriculture etc etc

kseeker

Retired
Isro does a 'clean' test run of Mars mission - The Times of India

MUMBAI: "10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0. All systems are a go, real time systems activated and on board computers are in flight mode," an official announced in anticipation at Isro's Sriharikota centre on Thursday. An air of nervousness pervaded the team as it prepared to "launch" Indian space research's most ambitious project - the Mars mission.

There was just one difference. Thursday was just a dress rehearsal. India's first mission to the Red Planet designated the Mars Orbiter Mission (Mom) is scheduled for launch at 2.38pm on November 5.

On Thursday the mission executives were glued to their monitors in all earnestness in Sriharikota's hi-tech control room. The atmosphere was a mix of apprehension and excitement.

Thursday's dry run simulated the entire command sequence of the countdown. It demonstrated the mission readiness, according an Isro spokesperson.

Speaking to TOI, he said that except for fuel filling all the activities 8-10 hours prior to the lift-off of the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle-XL were simulated without a hitch. The 'rehearsal's' most important aspect was the retraction of the mobile service tower and bringing it back - carried out flawlessly.

"During the 8.5-hour rehearsal which began at 6.08am various checks were carried out including the range and all was a go, including the weather," the spokesperson said. The vehicle's systems were powered and its health is normal.

"On Friday, the launch authorization board will meet to take the final call to initiate the final 56.5-half countdown that will start at 6am on Sunday," the official said.

To involve the public, a countdown clock has been included on the Mom's Facebook page.

Principal investigator of Nasa's Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (Maven) mission Bruce Jakosky has been quoted in Universe Today, a web journal, saying, "Nasa's Maven and India's Mom will work together to help solve the mysteries of Mars' atmosphere."

Maven is slated for launch on November 18 and both MOM and Maven are expected to arrive at the Red Planet at the same time in September 2014.

Scientists and engineers of Nasa's Jet Propulsion Laboratory have sent good wishes to Isro for Mom's successful launch on November 5.

drkrn

unfortunately thats not the case,most ISRO scientists are paid peanuts for their hard effort!It's another thing is that many are willing to work for peanuts because the nature of the job which is very interesting and challenging.
scientists in nasa too are paid very less if you compare with private industries.these people take jobs out of passion.

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
'Lucky peanuts' wish from Nasa to Isro on Mars mission

BANGALORE: It is a "lucky peanuts" wish from the Nasa to Indian Space Research Organization on its ambitious mission to Mars.

As the Isro geared up for the Mars Orbit Mission (MOM) " Mangalyaan", Nasa wished the Indian space agency with "lucky peanuts" on its Facebook page, for the MOM scheduled for launch on November 5 from Andhra Pradesh's Sriharikota.

The good wishes message titled "lucky peanuts" was posted on the Isro's recently created MOM Facebook page on Thursday by Nasa's Jet Propulsion Lab (JPL).

"As you prepare for your launch to Mars, do not forget one of the few, but important action: pass around the peanuts!" a post by JPL on Isro's MOM Facebook page read.

The American Nasa/JPL is also providing communications and navigation support to this mission to the red planet with their deep space network facilities.

Illustrating the tradition of peanuts for Mars Mission at JPL, the post read: "It goes back to the 1960s with the very first missions we sent to the moon. We had seven mission attempts to go the moon before we succeeded, and on the seventh one, they had passed out peanuts in the control room."

"Ranger 7, which in July 1964 became the first US space probe to successfully transmit close images of the moon's surface back to the earth, made the peanuts into a tradition at JPL," it added.

Stating that ever since, it has been a long standing tradition to hand out peanuts "whenever we launch and whenever we do anything important like land on Mars", the post by JPL read: "We use all the luck we can get!"

Giving away another traditional secret to Isro, followed during the launch that has proved lucky to Nasa, the post said "For MSL, (Mars Science Laboratory) we put a label on the jar that says "dare mighty things."

"This phrase was taken from Theodore Roosevelt's quote, "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live In the grey twilight that knows nether victory nor defeat.""

The post greeted Isro and its scientist's with slogans — "GO MOM!!!" "GOOD LUCK MOM!" "DARE MIGHTY THINGS".

Isro's MOM — joined Facebook on October 22 and has received more than 11,850 likes in a short span.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...Isro-on-Mars-mission/articleshow/25076089.cms

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
Re: 'Lucky peanuts' wish from Nasa to Isro on Mars mission

Isro does a 'clean' test run of Mars mission

MUMBAI: "10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1-0. All systems are a go, real time systems activated and on board computers are in flight mode," an official announced in anticipation at Isro's Sriharikota centre on Thursday. An air of nervousness pervaded the team as it prepared to "launch" Indian space research's most ambitious project - the Mars mission.

There was just one difference. Thursday was just a dress rehearsal. India's first mission to the Red Planet designated the Mars Orbiter Mission (Mom) is scheduled for launch at 2.38pm on November 5.

On Thursday the mission executives were glued to their monitors in all earnestness in Sriharikota's hi-tech control room. The atmosphere was a mix of apprehension and excitement.

Thursday's dry run simulated the entire command sequence of the countdown. It demonstrated the mission readiness, according an Isro spokesperson.

Speaking to TOI, he said that except for fuel filling all the activities 8-10 hours prior to the lift-off of the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle-XL were simulated without a hitch. The 'rehearsal's' most important aspect was the retraction of the mobile service tower and bringing it back - carried out flawlessly.

"During the 8.5-hour rehearsal which began at 6.08am various checks were carried out including the range and all was a go, including the weather," the spokesperson said. The vehicle's systems were powered and its health is normal.

"On Friday, the launch authorization board will meet to take the final call to initiate the final 56.5-half countdown that will start at 6am on Sunday," the official said.

To involve the public, a countdown clock has been included on the Mom's Facebook page.

Principal investigator of Nasa's Mars Atmosphere and Volatile Evolution (Maven) mission Bruce Jakosky has been quoted in Universe Today, a web journal, saying, "Nasa's Maven and India's Mom will work together to help solve the mysteries of Mars' atmosphere."

Maven is slated for launch on November 18 and both MOM and Maven are expected to arrive at the Red Planet at the same time in September 2014.

Scientists and engineers of Nasa's Jet Propulsion Laboratory have sent good wishes to Isro for Mom's successful launch on November 5.

Isro does a 'clean' test run of Mars mission - The Times of India

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag

Thanks to ISRO lots of people are saved in cyclone that hit Orissa recently. Those who say negative things about India are mostly Pakistanis and Chini, now a days UK is upset that they cant do much in space and India is doing it.

All i want to say to ISRO, please keep doing good work, we are proud of you guys for what you do with shoe string budget.
Low earth orbit payload and asteroid mining bases in Moon or Mars are the two keys areas where Government & ISRO should look in future space explorations.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
If we find Gold in Mars i am sure they will send tons of Rockets from India... Just so our politicians can get richer..

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
If we find Gold in Mars i am sure they will send tons of Rockets from India... Just so our politicians can get richer..
venerate the mission not blabber about your odium for Indian politicians
i get a feeling of revulsion reading your post :tsk:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
venerate the mission not blabber about your odium for Indian politicians
i get a feeling of revulsion reading your post :tsk:
Gentle sir, The post above me was sighting the issue of mining, so i thought to add to the same discussion.

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
while we are all looking in one direction ,
the real dark horse surprise is coming from the other direction ..
... iran is arguably ahead of india in the timetable to put a man in space

while india may be able to stick to the schedule of 2016
even though it hasnt even put as much as a rat in space,
iran has put monkeys there

iran may be able put an man there
perhaps as little as a year after india
having started very much later
and under much more severe sanctions
and technology denials from the usa and others !

nimo_cn

Country flag
while we are all looking in one direction ,
the real dark horse surprise is coming from the other direction ..
... iran is arguably ahead of india in the timetable to put a man in space

while india may be able to stick to the schedule of 2016
even though it hasnt even put as much as a rat in space,
iran has put monkeys there

iran may be able put an man there
perhaps as little as a year after india
having started very much later
and under much more severe sanctions
and technology denials from the usa and others !
now that the first has been taken, does it matter which spot are you gonna get as long as you can pull it off according to your own plan?

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

tramp

Countdown begins for India's Mars Orbiter Mission

The 56 and-a-half hour countdown for the launch of India's first space mission to Mars, slated for November 5, commenced on Sunday at the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota.

"The 56 hours and 30 minutes countdown started as per schedule at 06.08 a.m. It is proceeding smoothly," a spokesman of the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) said over phone this morning.

ISRO's workhorse launch vehicle PSLV C25, carrying India's first inter-planetary satellite Mars Orbiter Mission, is scheduled to lift off at 2.38 p.m. on November 5 from the spaceport of Sriharikota, some 100 km from here.

The Launch Authorisation Board had on November 1 given its consent for the launch of the MOM after the successful conduct of a launch rehearsal the previous day.

The rocket is expected to take over 40 minutes to inject the satellite into Earth's orbit after the take off.

The vehicle tracking stations at Port Blair, Bylalu near Bangalore, Brunei and sea-borne terminals on board Shipping Corporation of India's vessels SCI Nalanda and SCI Yamuna positioned at South Pacific Ocean have also been kept on alert, ISRO sources said.

Countdown begins for India's Mars Orbiter Mission - The Hindu

tramp

Pre-Launch Updates

Nov 03, 2013
Propellant filling of PS4 stage and RCT completed.

Mixed Oxides of Nitrogen (MON) filling of PS4 completed at 17:00 hrs (IST).

Mixed Oxides of Nitrogen (MON) filling of PS4 under progress.

Mono Methyl Hydrazine (MMH) filling of Reaction Control Thrusters (RCT) completed.

Mono Methyl Hydrazine (MMH) filling completed.

Propellant filling operations of Fourth Stage (PS4) are in progress.

The 56 hr 30 min countdown of Mission commenced at 06:08 hrs (IST).
Welcome To Indian Space Research Organisation - Mars Orbiter Mission

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
^^ The Russia-China one? :heh:

I can already see the brit-urds and other assorted Western morons coming out with their "poor India hungry India" bullshit as soon as news of this launch is made public. The scum will not look at the fact that this is the cheapest flight to Mars ever undertaken and will not applaud the benefit to mankind. They will not see that this takes mankind one step closer to mass space travel, it potentially opens up new possibilities in cheap outsourced missions, and so on.

All they will moan about is "poor India hungry India no space flights for you". I've begun to have an immense loathing for brit-urds ever since I've started reading their comments online. I am just waiting for a Brit-urd to say something like this to me on my face someday. :devious:

EDIT: I am not sure why Brit-urd is a censored word on DFI. IMO, this censor needs to be reversed asap.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
^^ The Russia-China one? :heh:

I can already see the brit-urds and other assorted Western morons coming out with their "poor India hungry India" bullshit as soon as news of this launch is made public. The scum will not look at the fact that this is the cheapest flight to Mars ever undertaken and will not applaud the benefit to mankind. They will not see that this takes mankind one step closer to mass space travel, it potentially opens up new possibilities in cheap outsourced missions, and so on.

All they will moan about is "poor India hungry India no space flights for you". I've begun to have an immense loathing for brit-urds ever since I've started reading their comments online. I am just waiting for a Brit-urd to say something like this to me on my face someday. :devious:

EDIT: I am not sure why Brit-urd is a censored word on DFI. IMO, this censor needs to be reversed asap.
I for one welcome such comments since it makes them look pathetic and at the same make Indians a bit more jingoistic.

Btw you forgot "they took our aid and spent it on *insert any accomplishment*"

Global Defence

New threads

Articles