Indian Military rations?

Uruk

A silly question perhaps but where can I find information on Indian military food rations?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
A silly question perhaps but where can I find information on Indian military food rations?
Field ration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

India

Indian Armed Forces have a host of Meals Ready To Eat (MRE) including the One Man Compo Pack Ration, Survival Ration, a ration for marine commandos and Main Battle Tank (MBT) Rations.[8] The shelf-life of the ration is 12 months. India has adopted retort processing technology for combat rations.
US Army MREs are also known as Meals, Rarely Edible :)

Last edited:

GUNS-N- ROSES

well i have some idea abt military rations. rations is a vast field. do u wanna know anything specific?

Uruk

I was just curious about what meals were available to the Indian forces, and any special rations that are used. A bit surprised that tankers have a special ration.

GUNS-N- ROSES

I was just curious about what meals were available to the Indian forces, and any special rations that are used. A bit surprised that tankers have a special ration.
i have a friend in supply corps of IA. he told me that the type and quantity of rations are dependent on following:

1. type of work
2. terrain
3. personnel

so u have the ration scale is different for other ranks and officers. to give u general idea, scale of foods which give high calories (carbs and fats) might be more for other ranks than officers. officers will have more protein content in the scale.

the personnel posted at high altitude have seperate scale of ration. i have heard stories of chocolates and cheese packets being used to create a sitting place.

similarly air crew (army navy and air force) have different scale of ration. same is the case with submariners, marcos.

then there is emergency ration which is issued to troops. it is also dependent on type and scale of work of person.

i hope i have answered ur question. u can scroll up net to check various items being supplied.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

p2prada

No one has better rations than France = fact
I don't know much about this subject but from what I have read on other forums, especially from OEE, no other army provides fresh and healthy food as the Indian army.

lemontree

Professional
I don't know much about this subject but from what I have read on other forums, especially from OEE, no other army provides fresh and healthy food as the Indian army.
Right. We dont eat any of the packed crap, if we could help it.
We ate freshly cooked food, even if we had to do it ourselves.

The only thing edible in the MREs are the tea rations and the sugi halwa.
But since I served in a regiment where the men are considered the most enterprising I never faced problems when it came to food.

Twinblade

Country flag
Healthy /= awesome :)
Of course, a diet heavily tilted towards dairy, veggies and minimum dosage of red meat is going to be healthy but definitely now awesome.

p2prada

Right. We dont eat any of the packed crap, if we could help it.
We ate freshly cooked food, even if we had to do it ourselves.

The only thing edible in the MREs are the tea rations and the sugi halwa.
But since I served in a regiment where the men are considered the most enterprising I never faced problems when it came to food.
Nothing can replace freshly prepared food.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Sorry for the OT. Here is what you will find in MRE for soliders of NATO countries as compiled by NYTimes. It seems french MRE is the favourite according t the article

A Taste of Home in Foil Packets and Powder

By ASHLEY GILBERTSON

EARLY in the war in Afghanistan, among the international troops who mingle at Bagram Air Base, a single French combat ration (cassoulet, perhaps, with deer pâté and nougat) could be traded for at least five American Meals Ready to Eat, better known as M.R.E.'s.

Recently though, the barter values have changed.

A fellow journalist who just got back from an embed with the French told me that today they look forward to visiting the Americans for a meal. American rations — hamburgers, chili, peanut butter, candy — they say, are "fun."

Each year, among the countries with troops in Afghanistan — the current number is 47 — tens of millions of dollars are spent researching how to fit the most calories, nutrition and either comfort or fun into a small, light package. The menus and accompaniments are intended not just to nourish but also to remind the soldier of home. Some include branded comfort foods — Australians get a dark-brown spreadable yeast-paste treat called Vegemite, for example — while others get national staples like liverwurst (Germany), or lamb curry (Britain's current culinary obsession).

Some of the contents are practical. Italians get three disposable toothbrushes per day of combat. Americans get pound cake, which military folklore says reduces the need for toilet breaks.

Other items are just, well, quirky. For nine years now, I've been travelling mostly with the Americans when I'm in Iraq and Afghanistan, and one item they're known for is the Assorted Charms that are one of several hard candies randomly distributed with M.R.E.'s.

Never eat the Charms, the troops say; they're unlucky. It's just a superstition, of course — I've never met a soldier who could tell me why they were unlucky — but the G.I.'s take it seriously. I sometimes think that if I ever got separated from my unit in the field, I'd just follow a trail of discarded unopened Assorted Charms to find them again.

Among the soldiers I have known, the peanut M&Ms are the hands down favorite item (it used to be Skittles), and they're currency. Want to swap out your shift pulling guard duty? A packet might well buy you the favor.

The soldiers like to mix and match some of the ingredients to create their own drinks and meals. Army Rangers have been taught at least as far back as the Vietnam War how to make Ranger Pudding — roughly, it's water mixed with cocoa powder, instant coffee, melted chocolate, Tootsie Roll, sugar and coffee creamer.

"Combat espresso," on the other hand, is brutal. The creamer, instant coffee and sugar are poured directly into one's mouth and then washed down with water. In 2004, I survived on those things for two weeks with a Marine company during the battle for Falluja.

In combat, eating is often the only good thing about a day. When a soldier or marine sits down to warm up his M.R.E., he's not being shot at, he's not losing friends. It's almost a ritual, and the very act of opening one of these packages suggests safety, however brief it may be.

To a lot of the American troops I've met, mealtimes are the only thing here to look forward to.

Here's how various other countries that are in Afghanistan give their own troops something to look forward to — other, perhaps, than going home.

Attachments

Vayuputra

Country flag
I have few questions about military ration for our troops.
What they are fed with during breakfast, lunch and dinner when they are in active duty, posted at border or when posted at cantonment?
How often they are fed with meat? How do they weigh so as to make sure all get equal amount of meat?

Can they refill their plates or its one timecserve only?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles