Indian Fishermen do cross into Sri Lanka - Indian Coast Guard

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Boats DID have GPS.

Fishermen DID NOT take tracking devices.

Fishermen arrested 2km off the cost near Bolder point. India DOES NOT have any claim over those waters. Check #25 and see where Bolder point is.

Please read OP again, carefully.
Its been highlighted half dozen times already. People want to ignore all of it and accuse Indian Forces, even abuse them for Tamil Fishermen pride!

KS

Bye bye DFI
In my opinion, Aksai Chi should be officially ceded to China, as it is a useless desert with no habitation possible. However, those cases are different because in both of them a foreign country committed military aggression against India and occupied part of our territory. If those territories were now just given away, we would legitimize that military aggression and basically invite other states to follow in their example.

The island issue is different because India has willingly and under no pressure given away a territory (for whatever reason).
What is the point ?

Ultimately we are not going to get it and it does not matter zilch on ground whether we agree or not. That ground is lost and lost forever.

So its better to make peace and make the de-facto thing de-jure and attempt to solve the border crisis.

It's funny to see the uber-jngoistic indians who have their heckles up when it comes to Aksai chin or POK sit silently on other part of their country being transferred to neighboring country and actually support it.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
What ignorance and hatred.

And its funny you should accuse us of loving foreigners when you practically ass kiss the Lankans (who are foreigners) and ignore your own countryman.
Hating people who love foreigners more than fellow Indians does not make me SL ass kisser. TN is very small in front of national identity.

if you dont know about the issue just shut it, but dont denigrate the deaths of our people.
You are in no position to ask me to shut up. You are no omniscient. And mind your language.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Boats DID have GPS.

Fishermen DID NOT take tracking devices.

Fishermen arrested 2km off the cost near Bolder point. India DOES NOT have any claim over those waters. Check #25 and see where Bolder point is.

Please read OP again, carefully.
That's bullshit because almost 25% of the fishing is through traditional fishing boats which don't have those devices.

And then again, the OP does not say that this is the issue with ALL the cases.

Please read the OP.

Using some isolated cases to somehow escape responsibility is not becoming of the Coast Guard.

Plus as I said, the boats are supposed to have been equipped with GPS on paper..most of them are substandard and break down often or in other cases they are no even supplied.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
http://www.commonlii.org/in/other/treaties/INTSer/1976/8.pdf

Can you please provide a source which is not full of anti-India propaganda by Eelam activists? :dude:

The document provides the author's interpretations of the 1974 and 1976 agreements, but in not the entire text of the document. In addition, the author clearly admits:

Now the underlined part is the author's interpretation of what the agreement stipulates. Whether that interpretation is correct or not will be determined in court. But is is obviously not as clear cut as you are making it out to be.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Hating people who love foreigners more than fellow Indians does not make me SL ass kisser. TN is very small in front of national identity.
Well it was you who accused in a assy way of us loving foreigners. Hence my retort. If you want to people to address you properly, then address them properly.

You are in no position to ask me to shut up. You are no omniscient. And mind your language.
Give respect and get respect. Else I dont owe you shit. Simple.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
What is the point ?

Ultimately we are not going to get it and it does not matter zilch on ground whether we agree or not. That ground is lost and lost forever.

So its better to make peace and make the de-facto thing de-jure and attempt to solve the border crisis.

It's funny to see the uber-jngoistic indians who have their heckles up when it comes to Aksai chin or POK sit silently on other part of their country being transferred to neighboring country and actually support it.
That's BS. I on't think any of us here have "supported" the handing over of the island to SL. What we are saying is that as long as the matter is sub-judice, what is the point of forcibly crossing the current IMBL into SL waters and then getting arrested by the SL navy? The TN government is to blame here because JJ is encouraging these poor fishermen to cross without caring two hoots about what will happen to them if they are caught.

Look at it in a practical way. You seem to want the poor fishermen to stand up for your "Tamil pride" by disobeying the Coast Guard and attempting to forcibly cross the IMBL as it is currently demarcated. That's not the right way to go about it as neither you nor JJ will suffer the consequences.

The right way would be to pursue the matter through the courts while in the meantime doing all you can to make sure the fishermen are able to go about their daily business without getting into trouble.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Well it was you who accused in a assy way of us loving foreigners. Hence my retort. If you want to people to address you properly, then address them properly.
I did not say that you are ass licker. I am on record.

Give respect and get respect. Else I dont owe you shit. Simple.
I am required not be disrespectful. Nothing more.

I was not even talking to you.

You quote me, you start conversation, I reply and then you ask me to shut up?

Now you don't owe me a shit?

Who is asking for it ?

Don't quote me hereafter if you want me to shut up.

Don't even start a conversation with me when you lack basis manners of talking.

I don't DISCUSS with self-proclaimed Experts.

KS

Bye bye DFI
What we are saying is that as long as the matter is sub-judice, what is the point of forcibly crossing the current IMBL into SL waters and then getting arrested by the SL navy?
As long as the agreement are not ratified , there is no Indo-SL IMBL lawfully. So on what grounds are Indian fishermen arrested ?

It's a simple case of Indian Govt failing in its duty to protect its citizens and then inventing excuses to cover up for that. Anyone with a neutral perspective can see that.

Look at it in a practical way. You seem to want the poor fishermen to stand up for your "Tamil pride" by disobeying the Coast Guard and attempting to forcibly cross the IMBL as it is currently demarcated. .
I repeat - as long as the Agreements are not ratified (which afaik has not happened) in the Indian parliament, there IS no IMBL.

pmaitra

Please keep the language civil. Moderators do not take the liberty to abuse people, but this restriction comes with the power to issue infractions. Please keep it civil.

Thank you for you cooperation.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Please allow me to excuse myself from this blind ethnic anti-national chauvinism.

KS

Bye bye DFI
74 agreement allows Indians access to Kachchatheevu, but not to fish.

76 agreement does not allow Indians any access.

74 agreement allows the traditional rights of the fishermen which includes fishing.

76 agreement does not cover Katchatheevu. This agreement in in addition to and not in place of 74 agreement.

Please read it closely.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
As long as the agreement are not ratified , there is no Indo-SL IMBL lawfully. So on what grounds are Indian fishermen arrested ?

It's a simple case of Indian Govt failing in its duty to protect its citizens and then inventing excuses to cover up for that. Anyone with a neutral perspective can see that.

I repeat - as long as the Agreements are not ratified (which afaik has not happened) in the Indian parliament, there IS no IMBL.
Whether there is an IMBL or not is not for you or JJ or the fishermen to decide. It is for the GoI to decide, and the GoI maintains that the 1974 and 1976 agreements are valid and in force. If you disagree, you will have to change the status quo through the courts. Until you do, the position of the GoI stands, whether you and I may like it or not.

KS

Bye bye DFI
Whether there is an IMBL or not is not for you or JJ or the fishermen to decide. It is for the GoI to decide, and the GoI maintains that the 1974 and 1976 agreements are valid and in force. If you disagree, you will have to change the status quo through the courts. Until you do, the position of the GoI stands, whether you and I may like it or not.
On what basis does the GoI claim that the agreements are valid and in force when the basic requirement as enshrined in the agreement itself (ratification) has not happened ?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
On what basis does the GoI claim that the agreements are valid and in force when the basic requirement as enshrined in the agreement itself (ratification) has not happened ?
I don't know, but obviously the matter is sub-judice, with TN arguing against the handing over of the island and the respondent, the GoI arguing in favour of it. Maybe you can check to see if you can find the court record online. Regardless, so far the Supreme Court has not delivered a verdict on the case, so in the meantime, JJ should not try to fulfill her political ambitions by making use of the poor TN fishermen as pawns in her power game.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Please keep the language civil. Moderators do not take the liberty to abuse people, but this restriction comes with the power to issue infractions. Please keep it civil.

Thank you for you cooperation.
I am not going to issue infractions or warnings.

As any ordinary member I expect that fellow member will not ask me to shut up or will refuse paying shit when he himself starts conversation.

That much cooperation is expected but does not make anyone poor if refused.

KS

Bye bye DFI
I don't know, but obviously the matter is sub-judice, with TN arguing against the handing over of the island and the respondent, the GoI arguing in favour of it. Maybe you can check to see if you can find the court record online. Regardless, so far the Supreme Court has not delivered a verdict on the case, so in the meantime, JJ should not try to fulfill her political ambitions by making use of the poor TN fishermen as pawns in her power game.
Back to square one.

Isnt it common sense to see that till the agreement is ratified, there is no IMBL and hence the case of TN fishermen "crossing" IMBL does not even arise.

So if the Govt wants to solve the case, it should either ratify the agreement in Parliament -which they wont do or urge the SC to take it up on urgent hearing.

KS

Bye bye DFI
I am not going to issue infractions or warnings.

As any ordinary member I expect that fellow member will not ask me to shut up or will refuse paying shit when he himself starts conversation.

That much cooperation is expected but does not make anyone poor if refused.
look your statement about "twisted agenda against SL and love for foreigners" was clearly unwarranted. I did not start the convo and hence I stand by what I said.

If you want to issue infraction/ban go ahead. Borrowing your words - nobody doesnt get poorer. I rarely do anyways come here these days.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I am done making my point here unless there is new development or driver to stimulate discussion. Internet bandwidth is not cheap.

OP has given new insights. I do not know how we missed this 4 month old statement from Coast Guard itself.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles