Indian Fakes Being Black to Get Into US Medical School Under Affirmative Action

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag

http://nypost.com/2015/04/12/mindy-kalings-brother-explains-why-he-pretended-to-be-black/

People have asked for the last 15 years, “Vijay, how did you come up with pretending like you’re black to get into medical school? That was crazy, huh?”

Uh, yeah, it was. But at the time it seemed like a good idea. I had toed the line in school my whole life. I sailed through a prestigious prep school with great grades. Had always been a model student. But college? Well, it was like Disneyland — so many rides to take, so much fun to have. I joined a fraternity and committed a great deal of effort to fun. But about halfway through, I had an epiphany and it scared the crap out of me.

I wanted to be a doctor. Yes, it’s kind of a cultural thing, but I’m also totally American, grew up in Boston and even got my middle name from Jo Jo White, one of the Celtics stars. My immigrant folks loved basketball. But I wanted to be a doctor mainly because my mom was a doctor and she was universally loved by her patients. I was immensely proud of her.

One of my closest friends, nicknamed Boots — Indian-American like me — shared my dream.

But what happened to Boots next chilled me to my marrow. He began applying to medical schools and we both figured he would sail through, get many interviews and then have his pick. Boots was a year older and medical school was everything he had worked for since starting at the University of Chicago. His grades and test scores were better than mine because, unlike me, he actually studied. But when he applied to 15 medical schools, got only two interviews and was accepted to exactly zero schools, he felt like a college running back who thinks he’ll go to the Patriots in the second round and is stunned when he’s relegated to playing in the CFL.

I may not have studied all that hard in my economics and statistics classes, but I knew enough to realize that anecdotal evidence was not enough to draw valuable conclusions. I had to work the problem. I studied the statistics and data made public by the Association of American Medical Colleges and came to a surprising conclusion. The data suggested that an Indian-American with my grades (3.1 GPA) and test scores (31 MCAT) was unlikely to gain admission to medical school, but an African-American with the same grades and test scores had a high probability of admission.

While I wasn’t able to pin down the exact number, I reasonably calculated that African-American or Hispanic applicants had as much as a 30 to 40 percent better chance of acceptance than I. This number left me speechless — but it also started my wheels turning.

I ran across a newspaper article about Rommel Nobay, an Indian who lied about being black to gain admission into medical school. Nobay got caught because he lied about a bunch of other stuff on his application, such as being a National Merit Scholar — not because he lied about his race. Light bulb. I wondered if I could pull it off by being completely honest about everything except, of course, my . . . race.

I shaved my head, trimmed my long Indian eyelashes, joined the University of Chicago’s Organization of Black Students (a black friend ran it, knew my scam and got me in) and began applying to medical schools as a black man. I transposed my middle name with my first name and became Jojo, the African-American applicant.

NeXoft007

Country flag
Well he's there to get education. Education is everyone's right. One shouldn't stop him from getting it. Hope he isn't rusticated for it.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter

http://nypost.com/2015/04/12/mindy-kalings-brother-explains-why-he-pretended-to-be-black/

People have asked for the last 15 years, “Vijay, how did you come up with pretending like you’re black to get into medical school? That was crazy, huh?”

Uh, yeah, it was. But at the time it seemed like a good idea. I had toed the line in school my whole life. I sailed through a prestigious prep school with great grades. Had always been a model student. But college? Well, it was like Disneyland — so many rides to take, so much fun to have. I joined a fraternity and committed a great deal of effort to fun. But about halfway through, I had an epiphany and it scared the crap out of me.

I wanted to be a doctor. Yes, it’s kind of a cultural thing, but I’m also totally American, grew up in Boston and even got my middle name from Jo Jo White, one of the Celtics stars. My immigrant folks loved basketball. But I wanted to be a doctor mainly because my mom was a doctor and she was universally loved by her patients. I was immensely proud of her.

One of my closest friends, nicknamed Boots — Indian-American like me — shared my dream.

But what happened to Boots next chilled me to my marrow. He began applying to medical schools and we both figured he would sail through, get many interviews and then have his pick. Boots was a year older and medical school was everything he had worked for since starting at the University of Chicago. His grades and test scores were better than mine because, unlike me, he actually studied. But when he applied to 15 medical schools, got only two interviews and was accepted to exactly zero schools, he felt like a college running back who thinks he’ll go to the Patriots in the second round and is stunned when he’s relegated to playing in the CFL.

I may not have studied all that hard in my economics and statistics classes, but I knew enough to realize that anecdotal evidence was not enough to draw valuable conclusions. I had to work the problem. I studied the statistics and data made public by the Association of American Medical Colleges and came to a surprising conclusion. The data suggested that an Indian-American with my grades (3.1 GPA) and test scores (31 MCAT) was unlikely to gain admission to medical school, but an African-American with the same grades and test scores had a high probability of admission.

While I wasn’t able to pin down the exact number, I reasonably calculated that African-American or Hispanic applicants had as much as a 30 to 40 percent better chance of acceptance than I. This number left me speechless — but it also started my wheels turning.

I ran across a newspaper article about Rommel Nobay, an Indian who lied about being black to gain admission into medical school. Nobay got caught because he lied about a bunch of other stuff on his application, such as being a National Merit Scholar — not because he lied about his race. Light bulb. I wondered if I could pull it off by being completely honest about everything except, of course, my . . . race.

I shaved my head, trimmed my long Indian eyelashes, joined the University of Chicago’s Organization of Black Students (a black friend ran it, knew my scam and got me in) and began applying to medical schools as a black man. I transposed my middle name with my first name and became Jojo, the African-American applicant.

what's his full name ?

================

Last edited:

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Indians love education and studies! Once educated they will stand on their feet, unlike some hooligans who will eat on Government's money.

sthf

Country flag
Not surprising. Asians are being systematically discriminated in the field of education and underachieving jokers from Black and Latino communities sail through because "can't be racist to them".
Hate to quote George Bush Jr. (originally belongs to Michael Gerson) but it a simple case of "soft bigotry of low expectations". Instead of bringing up the standards of Black and Latino communities, institutions are striving hard to undercut the achievements of Asians. Equally applicable to the fucked up education system here.

Last edited:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Well he's there to get education. Education is everyone's right. One shouldn't stop him from getting it. Hope he isn't rusticated for it.
Not surprising. Asians are being systematically discriminated in the field of education and underachieving jokers from Black and Latino communities sail through because "can't be racist to them".
Hate to quote George Bush Jr. (originally belongs to Michael Gerson) but it a simple case of "soft bigotry of low expectations". Instead of bringing up the standards of Black and Latino communities, institutions are striving hard to undercut the achievements of Asians. Equally applicable to the fucked up education system here.
Indians love education and studies! Once educated they will stand on their feet, unlike some hooligans who will eat on Government's money.

Actually he did not complete the degree as he felt it was way too tough for him. He only used to get 3.1 CGPA while the college only admitted those with 3.7 and above. He left the course midway,wrote a book and became a Trump supporter. He is currently against reservations/affirmative action.

Watch the 5 minute video. Mark Dice explains it crisply.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
mark zuckerburg in the making @Peter all great people have either failed or dropped out as they challenge and do not go along with the system ..

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
I personally agree that save for a few Blacks most of those who avail affirmative action do not benefit from it in America. Indians may not be as highly intelligent as German-Americans or Jewish Ashenkazi but are way better than other demographics in america.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
mark zuckerburg in the making @Peter all great people have either failed or dropped out as they challenge and do not go along with the system ..
Yes even Bill Gates dropped college.

sthf

Country flag
@Peter I did watch the video. My point wasn't just about him, it was about the absurd racism that Asians have to be exceptional whereas Blacks and Latinos can forever bask in glory of mediocrity.

I seriously doubt that any Latino country has a lower standard of living than India and African Americans would be the 19th richest country. Mind you, that despite the "African" in their name, they are Americans who are thousands of kilometers and centuries away from the actual Africa.

PS: In my opinion, Parsis are the most intelligent and accomplished religious group on the planet not Jews.

sthf

Country flag
Interesting. And curious. Please state how...
It may take some time to gather all the facts and statistics together but there are somethings that I can put right away.

Probably the highest poverty line in the world when adjusted to PPP, which is
Rs 90,000 per month.

Parsis are not even 1% of the Jewish population but they have considerable achievements to their name.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
It may take some time to gather all the facts and statistics together but there are somethings that I can put right away.

Probably the highest poverty line in the world when adjusted to PPP, which is
Rs 90,000 per month.

Parsis are not even 1% of the Jewish population but they have considerable achievements to their name.
Please do make a thread even if you have not gathered all the data. We need to bust the myth of western WASP and Jewish American supremacy.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles