Indian envoy's car attacked in Maldivian capital

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Indian envoy's car attacked in Maldivian capital

MALE: The Indian high commissioner's car was damaged when unidentified people hurled a rock at it in the Maldivian capital on Monday though no one was injured in the incident.

Two unidentified people riding a motorcycle threw a rock at the car while it was parked in front of the mission at Ameer Ahmed Magu, police were quoted as saying by Sun Online portal.

The incident was reported to police at 6.45pm (local time). A photo posted on the website showed the rock had made a hole in the rear windscreen of the Mercedes-Benz but did not cause any other damage.

"The police have arrived at the scene and efforts are ongoing to find the suspects," a police official said.

Police strongly condemned the crime and asked people to contact their hotline if they had "any information on the individuals behind this attack".
Indian envoy's car attacked in Maldivian capital - The Times of India

Former Maldives President Mohamed Nasheed condemned the attack on the Indian envoy's car.

India has been pushing the Maldives to hold presidential elections and have a peaceful transition of power ahead of its November 11 Constitutional deadline.

As political wrangling postponed a second attempt to have elections on 19 October India flew in its Foreign Secretary Sujatha Singh to have discussions with the three candidates as well as President Waheed to push for a democratic solution to the standoff.

India is believed by analysts to be encouraging the Maldives to have its presidential elections as soon as possible and for candidates to accept the outcome.

Nasheed's ability to contest the elections was also largely due to India's intervention and support.

Indian envoy to Maldives car attacked in the backdrop of presidential poll standoff - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Above are two reports. One from Indian and one from China.

I like the Chinese who have given half a truth so as to indicate that India is backing Naseed.

While India indeed was desirous of an election being held, it was actually appearing to support the opposite camp of Gayoom's relative , who had usurped power through an coup - another of the many failed foreign policy initiative of the clueless Salman Khurshed.

China is well aware that Naseed is popular and he is not that amenable to China as was Gayoom's relative.

amoy

often enough it's the "national interest" that matters more than personal leaning of Gayoom or Naseed. objects gravitate towards the ground naturally. over 1~2 lakh Chinese vacation in Maldives a year. Maldivians certainly see what best serve themselves unless India throws out more carrots like feul subsidy for Bhutan.

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
often enough it's the "national interest" that matters more than personal leaning of Gayoom or Naseed. objects gravitate towards the ground naturally. over 1~2 lakh Chinese vacation in Maldives a year. Maldivians certainly see what best serve themselves unless India throws out more carrots like feul subsidy for Bhutan.

You are right.

Though it is not the tourists who are influencing.

Have more access to Chinese funds, says Maldives President Mohamed Waheed

COLOMBO/MALE: In a clear hint that Maldives was getting close to China, Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed has said his country has more access to Chinese funds for developmental projects in his country.

Have more access to Chinese funds, says Maldives President Mohamed Waheed - Economic Times

amoy

the number of tourists an indicator of economic dependence for a island state, as well as of interaction intensity in btwn.

also another finding is China hs become No.2 tourist origin for Nepal. does it reveal any message?

a competent Maldive president has to seek what works for his countrymen (job opportunities, development), to get more votes in a 3rd world democracy, and smartly secure another diplomatic leverage. Indians also can play along - such as in Bhutan case when India suspended "fuel subsidy" the "pro China" party was ousted. of course it's up to u to weigh the "return on investment".

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
the number of tourists an indicator of economic dependence for a island state, as well as of interaction intensity in btwn.

also another finding is China hs become No.2 tourist origin for Nepal. does it reveal any message?

a competent Maldive president has to seek what works for his countrymen (job opportunities, development), to get more votes in a 3rd world democracy, and smartly secure another diplomatic leverage. Indians also can play along - such as in Bhutan case when India suspended "fuel subsidy" the "pro China" party was ousted. of course it's up to u to weigh the "return on investment".

Yes, the message is loud and clear.

But not to the blind and deaf in the Foreign Ministry and the Prime Minister's Office.

Sadly, a wimp hibernates in the Defence Ministry as the head honcho!

China could not have hoped in hell that there would be such a team opposing them!

They are a manna from Heaven for the Chinese.

They deserve the Merit Medal.

Last edited:

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
We will have our revenge when that sh8t little island nation will be swallowed by ocean because of global warming and they will ask for refuge in India :devil:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
We will have our revenge when that sh8t little island nation will be swallowed by ocean because of global warming and they will ask for refuge in India :devil:
They can go to China and be converted to Han.

Unless ofcourse the suckers in the present dispensation in India continues when it happens!

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
They can go to China and be converted to Han.

Unless ofcourse the suckers in the present dispensation in India continues when it happens!
Yeah we have a high population of tsimalsi(t silent and read right to left) who will love to smash shaheed memorial because of some outsider of same religion :mad:

Compersion

Country flag
Sticks and stones will break my bones
But words will never harm me.

Nasheed calls for fresh Maldives polls under parliamentary speaker

Maldives Parliament approves proposal for Speaker to assume Presidency if new President not elected by 10th Nov. - newsR

I think India is dealing with the situation well. fair elections with the favorite candidate who is pro-india. The message will be India stood by maldives against vested interests and established and reinforced democracy. wait for the election process to finish and see who is declared the winner.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
How is India dealing well?

They allow Nasheed in the Embassy to take shelter.

What does that prove?

And then they abandon him and support Gayoom's relative who has illegally usurped the office of President and who lost hands down in the election!

That is doing well or is it indicating a confused India who is playing dirty tricks?

Salman Khurshed is either incompetent, or it appears that he has an inscrutable agenda.

He has failed India with Pakistan, China, Sri Lanka and now, Maldives!

Compersion

Country flag
I was under the impression that India is supporting Nasheed. If not Nasheed got India support. And if he is the winner that is the take-away.

I am not aware of the Gayoom relative connection to India (all candidates will have a connection to India) and bias over Nasheed.

I think since the days of Jaswant Singh we have not had a able and well versed EAM. Khurshid was chosen because of his glamorous defense of his wife over corruption. We need a good EAM.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Maldives halts election, snubs Delhi

Maldives police on Saturday blocked a presidential election rerun ordered by the country's Supreme Court, rebuffing New Delhi's repeated calls to the strategically critical Indian Ocean nation to hold the scheduled polls and leaving India scrambling to respond to the diplomatic setback.

Nasheed had secured 45 per cent of the popular vote in that election while Yameen Abdulla, brother of political strongman Maumoon Abdul Gayoom who had ruled the Maldives for 30 years till 2008, had come second with 25 per cent votes. Gasim Ibrahim, a third candidate, received 24 per cent votes while Waheed earned just 5 per cent.

Maldives halts election, snubs Delhi

ONE of the presidents must be wrong. The ruler of the Maldives, Waheed Hassan, says nothing would please him more than calling early elections. "The Maldives is now more democratic than ever," he gushed during his first official trip abroad, in Delhi, on May 14th......

Under a coalition led by Mr Nasheed, a liberal, the country then fumbled towards stability, holding a series of local elections, assisted by other countries, notably India.

Then on February 7th Mr Nasheed called a press conference to say he was quitting, after a row with a judge and police—a decision he still maintains was forced on him at gunpoint: in effect it was a coup by friends of Mr Gayoom. More than Mr Nasheed's political fortunes may be at stake. Religious fundamentalism is getting worse, he claims, pointing to the Ministry of Islamic Affairs which this week told the army to let soldiers grow beards: "That's the final seal of it. It is very symbolic." Autocracy may yet creep back, he warns, accusing Mr Hassan of being Mr Gayoom's stooge.

Yet Mr Hassan's rival account of events gets at least as much of a hearing in India. He says the idea of Islamic extremism is just scaremongering, as were earlier suggestions that China might replace India as the dominant military actor in the Maldives. The new president brings up his own liberal credentials, for example in freeing television and radio broadcasters from state control. Mr Gayoom's influence, he says, is merely routine, as a coalition ally. Mr Hassan also dismisses notions that what took place was a coup. He says relations with Mr Nasheed (who has a reputation for unpredictability) had long proved too strained for the coalition to hold.

India, in turn, looks ready to accept a fait accompli. The government in Male wants more Indian tourists and investors, and promises stability if not political certainty. Mr Hassan, sounding a little smug, said this week that "India is not pushing us to do anything against the constitution", meaning that it will not insist on early elections. Nor will India get "entangled in internal affairs" in the Maldives, an Indian government spokesman in Delhi says. And so, he continues, Mr Nasheed will have to fight his own battles, since "frankly that's not our job."

The Maldives after its "coup": Between Delhi and the deep blue sea | The Economist

Compersion

Country flag
Could be India is positioning for the run-off to be between two pro-india candidates and looking at the long-term after Nasheed. From reading about the elections it looks like Waheed is the biggest loser (who supported him in the coup).

Nasheed vs. Yameen.

I still think India is dealing with the situation well. the theme of fair elections with the favorite candidate who is pro-india.

And so, he continues, Mr Nasheed will have to fight his own battles, since "frankly that's not our job."
A slap on the knuckles perhaps. Sort out yourself and dont let the situation happen again.

Maldives police on Saturday blocked a presidential election rerun ordered by the country's Supreme Court, rebuffing New Delhi's repeated calls to the strategically critical Indian Ocean nation to hold the scheduled polls and leaving India scrambling to respond to the diplomatic setback.
Its not only India but the whole world.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/intern...ses-maldives-supreme-court/article5297449.ece

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay on Wednesday criticised the Maldives Supreme Court for "excessively" interfering in the country's Presidential election process.

Thats why if you read about the Speaker replacing the Waheed (in case the president is not chosen) one can join the dots ...

http://newsr.in/n/Front+Page/74w2r6...t-approves-proposal-for-Speaker-to-assume.htm

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
A slap on the knuckles perhaps. Sort out yourself and dont let the situation happen again.
Salman Khurshed incompetent handling would not be capable of doing the same.

Nasheed is pro India more than that scoundrel Gayoom.

I wish you had kept abreast with the news as it enveloped to realise this.

Compersion

Country flag
Salman Khurshed incompetent handling would not be capable of doing the same.

Nasheed is pro India more than that scoundrel Gayoom.

I wish you had kept abreast with the news as it enveloped to realise this.
I am relying on what you have said earlier "And then they abandon him and support Gayoom's relative who has illegally usurped the office of President and who lost hands down in the election". I am not sure if there is Yaseem bias over Nasheed.

From my reading of the news India prefers Nasheed hence the reaction by India. And Waheed is the one getting in the way. He has been removed effectively (dumped) and the speaker put in place to ensure the election process is done properly. Its like a few people disrupting the process for many.

India favoring Yaseem i will be honest i have not come across until you brought it up.

I still think India is dealing with the situation well. the theme of fair elections without interfering in the internal affairs (a beautiful falsehood) with the favorite candidate and likely winner(s) who is pro-india.

The supreme court judge and police chief are one who is in the limelight next.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles