Indian Empires and Influence: Map it!

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Yusuf, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

British India and the extent of it today has become what "India or "Bharat" rather was.

A question that I want to ask and at the end of it professionally MAP it, over the thousands of years of Bharat Varshas history from the Mauryas, Guptas, Cholas right down to Bahadur Shah NOT including the British Indian territory, what was Bharats reach. It's Empires, it's protectorates, vassals over the thousands of years of Bharats history. From Iran to South east Asia, from Indian Ocean to Central Asia.

Let is first discuss the extent of Indian reach over the history and slowly map it to show what areas of Asia have been under Bharat's control and influence.

The Chinese seem to be issuing all kinds of maps to show their influence. India being a dominant cultural nation of Asia too has to Map it's past. We will not write any Empires name on the map. Just keep coloring the areas that were part of Bharat at one point or the other kind of superimposed.

I will request members to tweet, FB this thread as well to get maximum eyeballs. This will be our effort to help people understand influence of Bharat!

@civfanatic @LurkerBaba @Rage @Singh @ EVERYBODY!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
    Peter, RAM, Rage and 8 others like this.
  3. Yusuf

I hope I have been clear with the idea.

An example of this is Raja chola who ruled parts or south east Asia. Or say if a kingdom in Assam Ruled Bhtan or Burma at some point etc will count as part of Bharats territory and influence.

4. Yusuf

I am sticking this thread. Lets make this as a reference for anyone who wants to know the reach and extent of Bharat. And yes publicize it well!

5. HeinzGud

HeinzGud Senior Member Senior Member

Could I post on Sri Lanka's behalf!? :)

6. binayak95

binayak95 Regular Member

7. binayak95

binayak95 Regular Member

[​IMG]
    HE HE the Kushans ruled over some
    of China

A chauhan likes this.
  8. Yusuf

Ram won over Ravan the Lankan king. So Lanka too is under Bharat in the map that will be made :D

9. binayak95

binayak95 Regular Member

[​IMG]
    Nobody credits the Mughals for unifying much of India

10. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

@Yusuf

This is a bit difficult because unlike China, there were numerous centers of power in India, often existing simultaneously and competing with one another. For example, we can say Cholas invaded South East Asia, but the Cholas themselves were invaded by their neighbors, the Western Chalukyas. Who do we take as a representative of "India"?

The Chinese can claim specific dynasties (Han, Tang, Ming, Qing) as equivalents of the modern PRC, because China historically was highly centralized and based around singular centers of power. India on the other hand was highly decentralized for most of its history. There are only two empires in Indian history, namely the Mauryas and Mughals, which we can claim as centralized pan-Indian states.

11. Yusuf

I need someone to help me keep mapping this on a map. As and when there is a conclusion on some territory being part Of Bharat Varshis, it should be edited and posted.

12. Yusuf

Any "Indic" or Bharat Varshi qualifies. Even if there was infighting among kingdoms. Someone outside this forum even said that people like Ghori and other Afghans too are Indic. Well we can debate that. But that's what I am trying to do here. It's about territory of Bharat through the ages.

13. Bhoja

Bhoja Regular Member

Ancient and early medieval Indian Dynasties had a huge impact on southeast Asian civilization.
    The religions(Buddhism and Hinduism), administration, literature and architecture of medieval
    Southeast Asia were influenced by several Indian Dynasties.
    There exists the term Greater India to describe the spread of Indian culture in
    Southeast Asia.
    [​IMG]

hello_10 and A chauhan like this.
  14. Adux

Adux Senior Member Senior Member

Gentlemen,

When I had the conversation with Yusuf regarding creating a map about what is the true India. I was not going to involve as usual, but then what I was afraid was going to happen, happened....I was always sure that 'argumentative Indian' will come out with something or the other to come and shoot it down. And the thread will loose purpose and focus. The idea of this thread is to Map the extend of Direct Indian territories, vassals and protectorates over time, from ancient to now. Create an image of that map and make it go viral, that should be the idea. Chinese had a lot of inner war fightings, the only difference was it was between warlords for territories but still was under a Emperor of China. There are instances were China has included territories of people who have ruled over them , who have no connection with Chinese culture.

Shivaji killed of a lot Kannadigas, there are mulitple instances of Indians killing other Indians ( Hindus on Hindus) on territories. In my opinion Ghori, Ghazanavi's etc are also Indians, since Afghanistan was part of the Indic race, culture, territories and all of those warlords of afghan ethinicity, therefore indic heritiage. Chola's ruled over a lot of South East Asia, burma etc, it doesnt matter whether they were pushed aside by the Chalukyas Look at India, isnt it a smaller example of war fighting decentralized states coming together, so why cant we think of it in a larger of scheme of things. This is the Super Akhand Bharat. The True Bharat....It is important to map out every inch territory directly controlled by indics, their vassals and protectors. It is important to create a super India map. Remember, the spread of Indian Culture is not way we should map it, Japan, some part of eastern china and Korea doesn’t qualify. Don’t try to be a lawyer, try to be a empire builder. It doesnt matter wether they were muslims or hindus or buddhists, if they are of indic ethnic origin, then it is ours.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  15. Adux

Lets take the Primary Countries.

Current day, India, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Sri Lanka, Nepal, What ever kingdoms and the land they conqured/protected/vassal at any point of time originating from these areas is ours. So look at Kushan Empire, Chola Empire, Mughal, Balochi Kingdoms, Assame's Kingdoms, Afghan Kingdoms, Sindhi Kingdoms, Maratha's, Sikh, Kashmiri Kingdoms etc. I am a bit confused about Tibet, there are some regions of Tibet which are very important to Indic culture etc etc. In the end, a map will be created which will not show any of these kingdoms and empires, just rather , Super India, ( we will name it something else). This has to facebook viral.

16. Adux

Also please dont make this your religious dick measuring contest. This is about territories under the control of indic ethnicity, so religion doesnt matter as long as it is of Indian ethnic heritage, it will do.

roma likes this.
  17. afako

afako Regular Member

Egypt, Hawaii and North America also included.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  18. Srinivas_K

Srinivas_K Senior Member Senior Member

The Influence of Indian empires stretches from Vietnam to Iran.

Indian traditions are followed in ASEAN.

19. afako

afako Regular Member

What if an Indic ethnic Convert who follows a foreign ideology which itself is Anti-Indic. What about such persons?

20. Adux

They arent. I am not looking at ideology. Hinduism was anti-Buddhist ( Please dont go into debate and diatribe on it )Like I said, learn from the Chinese. This is not about Indian cultural influence, this is about Indian territorial and geo political influence.
    Like I said, dont be a zealot or an idiot. This is about territory not ideology.

21. Adux

Nope. Lets not go into that. We are not going back as much as Gondalaland.