Indian EMB-145 AEW&C

scatterStorm

Country flag
Since it's our very first creation, I'll be gentle on the critics. I saw the advertisement, kudos to our scientist working hard once again, I can smell some of our own skunk works in the making by the way. Now here are some question that I am very curious to hear some answers to:

1. Why it doesn't search and track on frontal and backward aspects, am I missing something, is it 180 degrees on both ides of it's radar arrays or a bit less?

2. With this being operational, can we say that DRDO will make our own version of Boing E3 sentry AWACS system with 360 coverage for real time search and track?

3. What about it's jamming capabilities?

4. How soon can we say that we will have our very own Red flag like real time battle management system? As there AEWACS have such real time systems installed.

abingdonboy

Country flag
1. Why it doesn't search and track on frontal and backward aspects, am I missing something, is it 180 degrees on both ides of it's radar arrays or a bit less?
The panels are fixed in a single slat array and offer only 120 degree coverage on either side (this is standard for such fixed slat arrays, the ERIEYE offers the same coverage).

With this being operational, can we say that DRDO will make our own version of Boing E3 sentry AWACS system with 360 coverage for real time search and track?
Yes, now LRDE are working on AWACS (India), to be based on a wide body airliner (A330-200) that will have simialr specs to the EL/M-2090 PHALCON, look at this thread:

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/threads/drdo-phalcon-style-awacs.37938/page-8#post-1268492

It will be operational in 2024/5
3. What about it's jamming capabilities?
It is there, watch:

4. How soon can we say that we will have our very own Red flag like real time battle management system? As there AEWACS have such real time systems installed.
The IAF and IN already have large numbers of ACMI pods in their inventories and regualry take part in large force exs and DACT. There is not an ex as structured as the Red Flag series but this may change in the future (since 2008 it has been speculated the IAF are looking to create something very similar).

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Maybe the ICG should be looking at this system for the future, during testing the Netra was able to detect 500 ships in one mission off the West coast:

Not a bad capability to have at all especially post-26/11.
Actually, CABS has already initiated an MMMP project based on experience gained from AEW&C NETRA.

Request for Information (RFI) for Supplying of Maritime Patrol Radar (MPR) for Multi-Mission Maritime Aircraft (MMMA)

Center for Airborne Systems (CABS) is involved with the Design and Development of Multi-Mission Maritime Aircraft (MMMA) for Indian Coast Guard (ICG).
The broad scope of work is to supply a Maritime Patrol Radar (MPR) for the platform selected for MMMA. The MPR will primarily be used for detection, localization, classification and tracking of both aerial and sea surface targets.
About platform

In addition the MPR should have the following Features:

 Synthetic Aperture Radar (Spot and Strip) (SAR)

 Inverse Synthetic Aperture Radar (ISAR)

 Range Signature (RS)

 Moving Target Indication (MTI)

 Sea

 Air

 Ground

 Secondary back up weather avoidance (and navigation mode with real beam mapping

 The MPR must have Long Range Surveillance and small target detection mode (for search and rescue mission, life rafts)

 The MPR shall offer a beacon SART (X-band Transponder) mode

 The MPR shall be capable of interfacing for operation with IFF Mk XII ’S’.

 The MPR shall have ECCM Resistant features CABS/MMG/RFI/2013/04 4 Vendors having expertise in design, development and integration of Maritime Patrol Radar (MPR) are requested to respond to the RFI.

The initial requirement is for 10 such units. Another 05 units are envisaged as phase II and shall be under option clause. The future requirement is for around 10-15 such units and hence the vendor has to give not exceeding cost with probable suitable escalation cost.
CABS is not going to repeat EMB-145. And among many other reasons, one definite reason is corruption that Congress did while dealing last time.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
CABS is not going to repeat EMB-145. And among many other reasons, one definite reason is corruption that Congress did while dealing last time.
if my conspiring theories goes, something strange is going on with nirbhay and it is strangly related to this.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
if my conspiring theories goes, something strange is going on with nirbhay and it is strangly related to this.
cant tell you guys more, hope i am wrong.................................... lets wait and watch.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I have always wondered why HAL build HS 748 called HAL 748 can't see it's airframe getting tweaked(read stretched) and modernised with new engines and avionics? This airframe has very good potential to become a Multi-Mission Aircraft in light-medium category especially for MR-MPA duties which has seen requirements from both Navy and CG, recently.

For comparison, China is still producing AN-12 locally called Y-9 in its modernised avatar and using it as a base platform for so many special mission roles like AEW&C and other EW roles. While on our side we are letting all opportunities go compromising their strategic importance just on the basis of some technical shortfalls, like latest example of MTA; no FADEC engine meaning no MTA at all.

Wonder how many roles MTA could have filled AEW&C, MR-MPA, MR-Tanker, EW, SAR, VIP transport and even as an airliner in the feeder routes.

MTA along with C-295 could have galvanised Indian Aviation and would have given birth to an ecosystem capable of competing with likes of Embraer, Bombardier, ATR etc. in 20 years from now. But alas our stubborn IAF top brass and their so-called professionalism.

Z-9 as an AEW&C platform

HAL HS 748 as AEW&C

I can't comment on Nirbhay here. Personally, i feel this missile is more important than Agni series and hence less likely to get scrapped or replaced with any imported missile. The sheer number of roles it is intended to fulfil makes it 'can't fail' kind of stuff.

In any case, when the country is venturing into high tech arena like BVRAAM and ARM(NGRM) is see no reason in conspiring against just one type which in any case is not as high tech as previously spoken ones.

Last edited:

Wisemarko

Country flag
Please take this as a constructive criticism but Indian English accent (especially in the video above) is very difficult to understand. If the audience is international customers, a narrator with neutral accent (English or American) should be used. Chinese and Israeli defense companies do that in all their promotional videos.

Kay

Country flag
Please take this as a constructive criticism but Indian English accent (especially in the video above) is very difficult to understand. If the audience is international customers, a narrator with neutral accent (English or American) should be used. Chinese and Israeli defense companies do that in all their promotional videos.
Good point..duly noted...makes sense to have British or American accent for international audience...but please understand there is no such thing as "neutral accent" :biggrin2:

Kay

Country flag
I have always wondered why HAL build HS 748 called HAL 748 can't see it's airframe getting tweaked(read stretched) and modernised with new engines and avionics? This airframe has very good potential to become a Multi-Mission Aircraft in light-medium category especially for MR-MPA duties which has seen requirements from both Navy and CG, recently.

For comparison, China is still producing AN-12 locally called Y-9 in its modernised avatar and using it as a base platform for so many special mission roles like AEW&C and other EW roles. While on our side we are letting all opportunities go compromising their strategic importance just on the basis of some technical shortfalls, like latest example of MTA; no FADEC engine meaning no MTA at all.

Wonder how many roles MTA could have filled AEW&C, MR-MPA, MR-Tanker, EW, SAR, VIP transport and even as an airliner in the feeder routes.

MTA along with C-295 could have galvanised Indian Aviation and would have given birth to an ecosystem capable of competing with likes of Embraer, Bombardier, ATR etc. in 20 years from now. But alas our stubborn IAF top brass and their so-called professionalism.

Z-9 as an AEW&C platform

HAL HS 748 as AEW&C

I can't comment on Nirbhay here. Personally, i feel this missile is more important than Agni series and hence less likely to get scrapped or replaced with any imported missile. The sheer number of roles it is intended to fulfil makes it 'can't fail' kind of stuff.

In any case, when the country is venturing into high tech arena like BVRAAM and ARM(NGRM) is see no reason in conspiring against just one type which in any case is not as high tech as previously spoken ones.
Nailed it. MTA was a blunder. Indian forces suffer from tunnel vision and colonial hangover - a deadly combination. The Brown Sahibs can't take pride in Indian arms. To them, it is synonymous to lower status.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Current status of DRDO AWACS as per DRDO's newsletter dated February 2018.

View attachment 23396
As the legend Dr APJ Abdul Kalam once said, India has a "fourth-country syndrome". We need to have a "First-only syndrome"

Hope we can achieve this within this century. :india2:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles