Indian doctor dissects his father's body for medical research

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
In a gesture that will inspire others to donate bodies for medical research, Dr Mahantesh Ramannavar, professor of Kankanwadi Ayurveda Mahavidyalaya in Belguam, dissected his father's embalmed body to help teach anatomy to his students' at a medical college.

Though cutting into the mortal remains his father, Dr Basavanneppa Ramannavar was no mean task, Mahantesh controlled his feelings and unflinchingly went about the dissection to fulfill his father's last wish.Dr Mahantesh stated, "Before his death, he had mentally prepared me to take up the dissection of his body."

Embarked on the rare feat on Nov. 13
Mahantesh created medical history when he undertook the challenging Of cutting open his father's body on Nov. 13, his second death anniversary.Surrounded by 20 students from the anatomy department and watched by family members from the viewing area, he performed the entire procedure like a true professional.

He began the practical research at 4.20 p.m. by cutting the skin on the chest, explaining and briefing his students without any outward display of emotion.
Many captured the historical moment on their cellMahantesh declared, "I have been using the body to teach anatomy to my students for several days now. I have learned to control my emotions. All family members including my mother have backed my decision."

A little about Dr Basavanneppa Ramannavar
Dr Basavanneppa Ramannavar was a freedom fighter and a renowned Ayurveda doctor at Bailhongal. Before his demise on Nov. 13, 2008 at the age of 89, he donated his body to Karnataka Lingayat Education (KLE) society for medical researchIn addition, he left behind an unusual desire that his corpse should be cut open by his son for anatomy students' research at a medical college.

According to Mahantesh, his father had pledged his body for research after being inspired by former West Bengal chief minister Jyoti Basu who also donated his body to a medical college.All the 14 members of Mahantesh's family have registered their bodies for medical research.Also, around 100 persons of the district have pledged their bodies for the betterment of medical science.

http://www.themedguru.com/20101114/...-father-s-body-medical-research-86141841.html

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles