Indian defence industry exports watch

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
AK 47 Rules....It's Variants also rule....Even the variants that are going to come out in future will also rule. People seriously need to know the difference between a standard issue army rifle and a special forces assault.

You can say whatever you want people. But for me the whole weapon must spit out bullets all the time. I dont want stuff to jam or break in my rifle. The INSAS uses the same operating principle of the AK 47. So I think it must be robust.

And I thought the army used to call INSAS as the queen or Kargil.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Regarding Oman in comparison to other Middle East nations.

LAMHAA, a controversial film, may be banned in all Middle East nations EXCEPT Oman.

Report in Telegraph 16 Jul 2010

Madhavbhartia

Why has India lagged so much in Defence exports? Lets discuss !!!

India is ranked 28th in the arm exporters list whereas China is #7 whereas India is #1 importer of arms as compared to china which is 13th. Bear in mind TIVs(Trend Ä°ndicator Values) do not represent the financial value of goods transferred. Instead, TIVs are an indication of the volume of arms transferred.

I used the below link http://www.sipri.org/databases/armstransfers to get the ranking.

I observed the nations to whom India is exporting are Ecuador, sri Lanka, Maldives, Mauritius, Nepal, ... mostly neighbourhood nations in last 10 years.

In our media we always boost about weapons made by India like Dhruv, Arjun, Brahmos, Akash, Nag, LCA...etc

But whether the Indian industry been able to meet domestic demand of Indian Forces?
Are different countries actually buying them rather than just show some interest?

How is India's Sale, production, service, marketing?

Is any Indian private company is seriously venturing in Defence Industry or its just PSU's ?

Lets discuss

Country flag
India has to first fulfill indigenous requirements (LCA etc..) before thinking about exports. India is still 10-15 years away from a military export infrastructure.

Parthy

Air Warrior
India has to first fulfill indigenous requirements (LCA etc..) before thinking about exports. India is still 10-15 years away from a military export infrastructure.
Do you think foreign nations will be interested on LCA? For us, we can say LCA Mark-1 is a technology demonstrator and Mark-2 will be a better fighter which can add some value in replacing Mig-21 Bisons....

Might be, AMCA can be marketed if it gets complete on time... :thinking:

SHASH2K2

Do you think foreign nations will be interested on LCA? For us, we can say LCA Mark-1 is a technology demonstrator and Mark-2 will be a better fighter which can add some value in replacing Mig-21 Bisons....

Parthy LCA will be a big hit in African continent. Its quite a decent aircraft. Apart form that we have brahmos, arjun, LCH and Dhruv that can be exported. Problem with us is that we have huge demand for these equipments in our own country itself . we cannot export them unless we fulfill our own requirement .

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
India lies a little ahead of Saudi Arabia.

Madhavbhartia

Parthy LCA will be a big hit in African continent. Its quite a decent aircraft. Apart form that we have brahmos, arjun, LCH and Dhruv that can be exported. Problem with us is that we have huge demand for these equipments in our own country itself . we cannot export them unless we fulfill our own requirement .
In that case, is the GoI expanding production facilities...I mean are we blocked because of production facility? ....If thats the case I think India should increase its production facilities...If it can increase then delivery of these equipments will be faster, possibility of exports, employment and definately lesser import.

SHASH2K2

In that case, is the GoI expanding production facilities...I mean are we blocked because of production facility? ....If thats the case I think India should increase its production facilities...If it can increase then delivery of these equipments will be faster, possibility of exports, employment and definately lesser import.
problem in this case that entire R&D and manufacturing is done by public sector. Had it been private sector we could have made some money by exporting it to developing or underdeveloped nations.

Parthy

Air Warrior
Parthy LCA will be a big hit in African continent.
I don't think LCA will be a hit in African continent.. Is there any article or news relating to that?? =xy

Its quite a decent aircraft.
Yes Agreed. LCA is quite a decent aircraft but not to the potent for which the specification has been given. Hardly twice it went supersonic that too at high altitudes where the air is less denser (read somewhere in a report). We are not sure how effectively LCA can perform with full payload. So, we are still skeptic on its performance as a fighter and the role it is going to play in IAF.

Apart form that we have brahmos, arjun, LCH and Dhruv that can be exported. Problem with us is that we have huge demand for these equipments in our own country itself . we cannot export them unless we fulfill our own requirement .
Yes, there are demands in exporting Brahmos, Dhruv after it fulfills nation's needs.. In case of Dhruv, Army has already reported assembling problem.. LCH is still in testing phase, donno when it will be available for field trails.

What about Arjun?? Is there any demand from any nations.. don't have idea on this... Sorry/// :emot100:

Country flag

There are no export clauses from nations providing the LCA- engines.

SHASH2K2

I don't think LCA will be a hit in African continent.. Is there any article or news relating to that??
You think they fly rafale and superhornets there? when china can export their junks we definitely can .
Yes Agreed. LCA is quite a decent aircraft but not to the potent for which the specification has been given. Hardly twice it went supersonic that too at high altitudes where the air is less denser (read somewhere in a report). We are not sure how effectively LCA can perform with full payload. So, we are still skeptic on its performance as a fighter and the role it is going to play in IAF.
Lca will be used in Interceptor role .

Yes, there are demands in exporting Brahmos, Dhruv after it fulfills nation's needs.. In case of Dhruv, Army has already reported assembling problem.. LCH is still in testing phase, donno when it will be available for field trails.

What about Arjun?? Is there any demand from any nations.. don't have idea on this... Sorry///
Dhruv had issue only with reaching its stipulated maximum speed. thats not a big issue and is being sorted out. once under production LCH will be having huge demand in African market .

Madhavbhartia

problem in this case that entire R&D and manufacturing is done by public sector. Had it been private sector we could have made some money by exporting it to developing or underdeveloped nations.
I think its more because of the clarity in process & complications....
Or may be no private sector wants to start from scratch as investment is huge & RoI takes time....

May be a public private partnership or some IPO of PSU defence companies..
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Madhavbhartia

What about Arjun?? Is there any demand from any nations.. don't have idea on this... Sorry/// :emot100:
Check this http://www.hindustantimes.com/A-first-Foreign-interest-in-Arjun-tank/Article1-426801.aspx

Seeking to build up its armoured warfare capabilities to crush a potential threat from Venezuela, its Latin American neighbour Colombia has shown interest in buying India's indigenous Main Battle Tank (MBT) Arjun. The first ever expression of interest from abroad in the MBT Arjun could translate into an export order worth Rs 1,700 crore:happy_2:, with Colombia wanting to raise at least two regiments of main battle tanks.
"Bogota has expressed interest in the MBT Arjun. The Colombian army has an immediate requirement for 10 tanks to be followed up with the induction of another 100 over five years," said a senior official, on the condition of anonymity.

The competitors for the Colombian order include France (MBT Leclerc), US (MIAI Abram), Israel (Sabra), Korea (KI AI) and China.ss9

India's reluctance to export military equipment could tip the scales in the favour of international suppliers. The ministry of external affairs had recently turned down a Bolivian request for a line of credit to buy seven Dhruv advanced light helicopters worth over Rs 300 crore from Hindustan Aeronautics Limited:angry_1:

SHASH2K2

I think its more because of the clarity in process & complications....
Or may be no private sector wants to start from scratch as investment is huge & RoI takes time....

May be a public private partnership or some IPO of PSU defence companies..
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
looks like we have started to include public sector into our defence manufacturing. Though its quite slow. Hopefully situation will improve in coming years.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
According to me, till now, India stands no where in the race of arms export. Except exporting assault rifles Insas and HAL Dhruv India has not taken much interests in export which I dont understand why.

plugwater

I don't believe that we have to fulfill our own needs opinion because we have not finished inducting dhruv in our armed forces but we are already exporting it so that is not the case. In case of LCA, Arjun it has lot of things which are not Indian so we need to get permission from other countries to export.

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
Virtually all of india's indigenous projects are dependent on foreign components, for example the the helicopter which india has sold to Ecuador, is 90% foreign by value. The same goes for Arjun tank, dehli destroyer. This fact pretty much ensures that indian products should they make it to the market, will not have the price advantage over similar, but quality-wise superior western products. I wonæt be surprised if the liquid fuel powering india's prithvi missiles, is in fact made by chemicals supplied by China. India does not have very good fundamentals, that's why most indian projects, be it civilian or military, fail often or take exceedingly long time to complete.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles