Indian defence industry exports watch

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
India-Oman relationship poised to reach greater heights: Anil Wadhwa
Times of Oman

26 January 2009
MUSCAT -- India-Oman relationship is poised to reach greater heights, says Anil Wadhwa, ambassador of India to the Sultanate of Oman, in an interview with Times of Oman on the occasion of Indian Republic Day.

With Indian PM's maiden visit to Oman last year, the Indo-Oman relations have developed into a very strong and cohesive one. What are the key factors, you feel, that are crucial to taking this relationship to greater heights?

The fact that we had two very high-level visits, i.e. that of His Highness Sayyid Fahd bin Mahmoud Al Said, deputy prime minister for the Council of Ministers, to India in December 2007 and Indian Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh's maiden visit to Oman in November reflect the closeness of our relationship. Our civilisational relationship is based on great mutual trust and respect. We also share common views on most issues. India and Oman are emergent economies and hold lots of promise for mutually beneficial economic engagement. Because of historical people-to-people contacts, we share strong cultural bonds. These factors will drive the future of our relationship.

India and Oman signed an MoU during Dr Singh's visit to set up an India-Oman Joint Investment Fund. What progress has been made?

India-Oman Joint Investment Fund is very special because the fund is the first of its kind that India has set up with any country in the world, which reflects the importance that India attaches to its relationship with Oman. The fund, to be set up with an initial seed capital of $100 million, has also got a provision to raise the capital base to $1.5 billion. Follow-up discussions have moved swiftly and we expect the fund to be formally launched in March 2009. The fund will invest in sectors that not only yield higher returns, but are also vital to the two economies. It would focus on core infrastructure sectors, real estate etc. But more significantly, we envisage the fund to act as a catalyst to private sector investments from both countries.

Will the two countries focus more on strengthening economic and trade relations in 2009 to offset the effects of the global financial crisis?
Even in the face of the international financial crisis and amidst fears of a global meltdown, India's robust economic fundamentals have insulated the economy against damaging impacts of the international financial crisis. Besides, the government has announced massive public expenditure schemes and coordinated stimulus packages to arrest the liquidity crunch situation. We are hopeful that the Indian economy will continue to grow at 6-6.5 per cent during 2009 and will bounce back to a level of 9-10 per cent annual growth by 2010. Similarly, the fundamentals of the Omani economy are also strong and the government and the central bank have, in consonance, taken a number of measures to address the liquidity situation. The Omani government remains committed to continue the execution of the developmental projects. These are good signs. However, given the inter-connectedness of the global markets today, all countries have to work collectively to ensure that a recession does not loom large on the economic horizon. India and Oman would continue to work on furthering the already strong trade and investment relations in 2009.

How do you see the political relations between India and Oman evolving in the coming years?

India and Oman have historically enjoyed very warm and cordial relations. There is great mutual trust and we share common view on regional and international issues. Political relations are strengthened through frequent exchange of high-level visits. Both the countries also work very closely in regional and multilateral fora. We are highly appreciative of Oman's role in promoting peace and stability in the Gulf and the Middle East.

What are the new avenues for economic and commercial cooperation between the two countries?

There are several areas where India and Oman can cooperate and work for mutual benefit. We recently had a session of the India-Oman Working Group in Muscat, which has identified priority areas for cooperation between the two countries. Some of the sectors identified for focused attention are agriculture, IT, education and training, manufacturing, earth sciences and R&D.

Apart from the financial crisis, India is recovering from the shocks of the terror attacks. Are there worries on the foreign investments front?
India has demonstrated exemplary resolve and resilience and come out ever stronger in the face of the dastardly and shameful terrorist attacks perpetrated on its soil. The government has initiated several measures to bolster internal security and is also determined to expose and bring to book the perpetrators of these shameful and heinous acts of crime against humanity. These terrorist attacks cannot deter India from marching ahead economically. It still retains its attractiveness as a business and investment destination. A few recently concluded events such as Pravasi Bharatiya Divas, the Partnership Summit and the Vibrant Gujarat Summit have proved that the multinational companies continue to see India as a safe and secure country to work and do business in.

Oman and India signed an MoU in the field of manpower to boost recruitment of Indian professionals in various sectors in Oman and to prevent illegal recruitment and human trafficking. What role is Indian embassy playing to prevent illegal recruitment and human trafficking?

Under the framework of the MoU on cooperation in manpower, the two countries shall take all measures to facilitate the recruitment of the Indian manpower in Oman and shall exchange visits between the officials in charge of manpower in the two countries for consultations in the area of job creation and generation of employment opportunities. The MoU would help in alleviating the hardship of the Indian nationals who are employed as semi-skilled/unskilled labour and housemaids.

Secondly, the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs is implementing a project for transforming the emigration process through e-Governance. This will lead to greater convenience, better protection and easy delivery of welfare services to the emigrants. The other benefits would include greater levels of efficiency, transparency, accountability and less corruption. The project involves full automation of emigration offices and inter-linking between immigration counters and Indian missions. Once the project is implemented, which will happen sooner rather than later, the embassy can keep track of the Indians coming into Oman. The Indian government is also promoting awareness in the country about the various aspects that prospective emigrants need to know and is trying to enforce recruitment through certified recruitment agencies only. These measures will go a long way in addressing the problem.

We have been hearing that many companies in Oman are probably considering laying off staff; some are rumoured to have already started doing so. Does it worry you that it will affect the Indian workforce here?

As stated earlier, the Omani government has taken several measures to weather the negative impacts of the international financial crisis. Hopefully, the oil prices will see some correction in the near future. The establishment of $390 million 'Market Stabilisation Fund' and the steps taken by Central Bank of Oman to address the liquidity situation in the economy will begin to show results sooner rather than later. The Omani government has also announced that the developmental projects will not be affected by the crisis. So, I believe that even if we might have a difficult time in the short-run, the situation will improve and stabilise soon and the Indian workforce will not be adversely affected.

On this historic occasion of the Republic Day would you like to convey any message to the Indian community?

On the occasion of the 60th Republic Day of India, I extend my hearty congratulations to all Indians and Persons of Indian Origin living in Oman. I also take this opportunity to wish good health and prosperity to our Omani brothers and sisters for the love and warmth that they have shown towards the Indians resident in Oman. I wish to express my sincere thanks and gratitude to His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said and his government for their benevolence which provides a homely ambiance to the 5,50,000-strong Indian expatriate community living in the Sultanate. I express my heartfelt wishes to His Majesty Sultan Qaboos bin Said for a long, healthy and prosperous life and greater glory in the years to come. I would urge my fellow citizens in Oman to continue to work with sincerity and dedication for the development of the Sultanate and for their own well being and prosperity.

As the ambassador of India what gives you satisfaction? How would you describe the first phase of your assignment in Oman?
My biggest satisfaction is that through our sustained efforts, we have succeeded in convincing the corporate community in India to desist from hyphenating Oman to relatively larger economies in the Gulf like the UAE and Saudi Arabia in their investment vision and to look at Oman independently on the basis of the large opportunities that it has to offer. This is reflected in the large number of trade and investment delegations that we have received from India in the past one-and-a-half years. Bilateral relations have been progressing well on all fronts. We had a highly successful state visit by the prime minister of India to Oman in November 2008. There were also several other ministerial/high-level visits from both sides. There are a number of similar visits, which are going to take place this year. We have prioritised a number of areas of cooperation and are working on them. So when I look back on the last one and a half years of my mission in Muscat, I feel contented at the achievements that we have made so far. I have made a lot of friends in the Indian community as well as among the Omanis and other nationals. Oman is richly endowed with natural beauty and has been very hospitable. So, I have enjoyed my stint of one and a half years so far in Muscat a lot and hope that the rest of my mission in this beautiful country would be equally enjoyable and we can take the India-Oman relationship to much greater heights.

By Mrudu Naik

© Times of Oman 2009
India-Oman relationship poised to reach greater heights: Anil Wadhwa

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Its not as poor as you think either. It is used to western wares. Insas will make it for what it is and not its price alone.
From poor, I didnt mean that it is a bankrupt nation but I meant that it that it has a weak economy compared to India. Do you agree to that? If Oman had shown interest in INSAS that means there is some reason that it has not opted for Western Rifles(i am actually not conformed that if Oman is having a same deal with other western nation or not). It doesnt opted for TAVOR from its close neighbor Israel. What does that mean? Maybe there must be a strategical reason reason behind it, but not only Israel but many other European nation produces rifles that are better than INSAS then why only it opted for INSAS.

These are my logics . No one knows the actual reason leaving the Oman officials and God. If you want to agree or disagree, its your choice because I dont have any link or proof to prove myself.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Yathath I am not getting the point you are putting across, if some body does not places order for western weapons means it is ordering an inferior product or what? Or you are trying to say only western weapons are of quality and rest are junk

wild goose

It doesnt opted for TAVOR from its close neighbor Israel. What does that mean? Maybe there must be a strategical reason reason behind it, but not only Israel but many other European nation produces rifles that are better than INSAS then why only it opted for INSAS.
Sir,

"Oman opting a gun from close neighbour Israel."

There is no need to go this far for proving Insas is poor.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
From poor, I didnt mean that it is a bankrupt nation but I meant that it that it has a weak economy compared to India. Do you agree to that? If Oman had shown interest in INSAS that means there is some reason that it has not opted for Western Rifles(i am actually not conformed that if Oman is having a same deal with other western nation or not). It doesnt opted for TAVOR from its close neighbor Israel. What does that mean? Maybe there must be a strategical reason reason behind it, but not only Israel but many other European nation produces rifles that are better than INSAS then why only it opted for INSAS.

These are my logics . No one knows the actual reason leaving the Oman officials and God. If you want to agree or disagree, its your choice because I dont have any link or proof to prove myself.
It can get cheap copies of AKs, which are available world over but they didnt chose it, please dont forget IA is very tough customer, if those INSAS were not that good they would have re packed them and send them to OFB.

Now please get out of the mind set that foreign mall is always better.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
India has a very good relations with Oman.

Historically, Oman had close equation with Gujarat and the Malabar.

The Sultan's father (who was deposed) had been educated in India.

One of the Princes did the Staff Course with me and he was very pro India too.

The average income per capita is higher than that of the Czech Republic and Saudi Arabia, even though Oman only produces 850,000 barrels of crude oil a day, just one per cent of the world's total oil output.

As a result of their seafaring, Oman's Muslims have created a tolerant society that is unique in the Arab world. Indian traders of the Hindu faith settled in the Omani capital, Muscat, and became Omani citizens,

Unlike in most Arab states, Omani citizens are not forbidden to travel to Israel. Nevertheless, the sultanate does maintain close ties with Iran, which is only 50 kilometres away across the Strait of Hormuz.

In Muscat, a Hindu temple and 28 Christian churches are open to the faithful. Sometimes the Sultan will provide land for a church, sometimes he will donate a new organ to a church. The aim is that everyone should be able to practice his/her religion without restrictions.

Last edited:

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Hey guys, you all took my words in a wrong sense.

I never said that INSAS is a junk.

My point is as specified in my earlier post. That is, Why Oman selected only INSAS and not any other better rifle.

Lets forget western nation, take a nation of west asia i.e., Israel. Compare its TAVOR with our INSAS, then you will get what I was trying to say. With comparison to TAVOR, yes TAVOR is ahead of INSAS both in performance and cost. In fact Indian Army is also in the process of moving to KALANTAR or TAVOR then why Oman wants only INSAS?

Doesnt that show that Oman may not be able to arm its army with costly rifles?

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Hey guys, you all took my words in a wrong sense.

I never said that INSAS is a junk.

My point is as specified in my earlier post. That is, Why Oman selected only INSAS and not any other better rifle.

Lets forget western nation, take a nation of west asia i.e., Israel. Compare its TAVOR with our INSAS, then you will get what I was trying to say. With comparison to TAVOR, yes TAVOR is ahead of INSAS both in performance and cost. In fact Indian Army is also in the process of moving to KALANTAR or TAVOR then why Oman wants only INSAS?

Doesnt that show that Oman may not be able to arm its army with costly rifles?
The problem is in bold portion. So your logic is INSAS is an inferior weapon.

well do you have any idea what were the parameters on which Oman has selected the weapon? Who were in competition for the contract? Weather they were able to fulfil the terms?

until unless you can answe these questions please stop running rhetorics like the bold portion

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
The problem is in bold portion. So your logic is INSAS is an inferior weapon.

well do you have any idea what were the parameters on which Oman has selected the weapon? Who were in competition for the contract? Weather they were able to fulfil the terms?

until unless you can answe these questions please stop running rhetorics like the bold portion
I admit my fault and again I ask that if someone has any further details as specified by Nitesh then please provide me the link as I want to know more about all this.

And let me clear that I am not saying that INSAS is a crap or useless. Why dont you check my earlier post and comment where I supported INSAS for being an excellent rifle. So stop blaming me that I am criticizing Insas.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Its all about Oman. We have to also keep in mind the economy of Oman before cross questioning the products for sale. Oman is not an very rich nation. and for its budget, Insas is very good.
If I may be permitted by two penny worth.

1. What has the economy of Oman got to do with India wanting to have a working and good relationship with Oman?

2. Even if the economy is poor, there is no income tax in Oman. Notwithstanding, it is of no concern of India on this account either.

3. But now, take a good look at the map.

4. Oman is squat at the mouth of the Straits of Hormuz. And guess what?

5. The strait at its narrowest is 54 kilometres (29 nmi) wide.[1] It is the only sea passage to the open ocean for large areas of the petroleum-exporting Persian Gulf.

6. It will be observed that according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, an average of about 15 tankers carrying 16.5 to 17 million barrels of crude oil normally pass through the strait every day, making it one of the world's most strategically important choke points.

6. Therefore, any country, not only India would be every interested in having a warm relations with Oman.

7. It is strategically too good an opportunity to counter China's Strategy of the 'String of Pearls'. Now, China has Gwadar and is trying to be clever by half. India having access to Chabahar in Iran and on the opposite side (when the time comes) can sit pretty at Oman. Therefore, a noose to ensure no oil for countries inimical to India, if the chips are down!

Therefore, Oman is a Nation that India must woo with assiduity!

Next, I have been reading that the troops are not satisfied with the INSAS. Who says so? Have they fired any of the fancy foreign rifles that are mentioned on forums so as to be experts to comment that the INSAS is a lousy weapon. How come I have never met any OR who says that the INSAS is bogus.

8. It is all the more easy to exploit this choke point because ships moving through the Strait follow a Traffic Separation Scheme (TSS), which separates inbound from outbound traffic to reduce the risk of collision. The traffic lane is six miles (10 km) wide, including two two-mile (3 km)-wide traffic lanes, one inbound and one outbound, separated by a two-mile (3 km) wide separation median.

One may not have said that the INSAS is not good in a direct way, but this statement speaks volumes - Oman is not an very rich nation. and for its budget, Insas is very good.

Stating so without any prejudice, please.

Last edited:

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Next, I have been reading that the troops are not satisfied with the INSAS. Who says so? Have they fired any of the fancy foreign rifles that are mentioned on forums so as to be experts to comment that the INSAS is a lousy weapon. How come I have never met any OR who says that the INSAS is bogus.

One may not have said that the INSAS is not good in a direct way, but this statement speaks volumes - Oman is not an very rich nation. and for its budget, Insas is very good.

Stating so without any prejudice, please.
Wait a minute. INSAS has low cost, thats why I said that. It has no relation with my opinion for INSAS`s performance. I myself has fired 3-4 training rounds from INSAS and I know that how good it is, my eyes are pleased when I see INSAS hanging on the neck of an Indian army personnel.

Again please dont post something just for criticizing someone because it hurts when you post wrong opinion for anyone. And also dont make your reason directly or indirectly from any post. If you want to know my opinion about something then please ask me directly.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Wait a minute. INSAS has low cost, thats why I said that. It has no relation with my opinion for INSAS`s performance. I myself has fired 3-4 training rounds from INSAS and I know that how good it is, my eyes are pleased when I see INSAS hanging on the neck of an Indian army personnel.

Again please dont post something just for criticizing someone because it hurts when you post wrong opinion for anyone. And also dont make your reason directly or indirectly from any post. If you want to know my opinion about something then please ask me directly.
Good you fired 3 or 4 rounds from an INSAS and you have become the expert.

I have fired weapons of all types for 37 years and still claim to be but a novice.

To be frank, apart from accuracy (and it depended on my firing skills and so was not prone to blaming the weapon for my own faults), what was of concern to me was the weight of the weapon and weight of the pouch ammunition, more so when trudging up in High Altitude!

A rifle is not hung on the neck. If it is done so, then the reaction would be constrained by the sling.

I am not criticising anyone. My comments are mere analysis of the posts and I comment on what is my perceptions and others can always have different views.

Oman is not a country that cuts corners in costs. A visit would dispel any misgivings. They are not as rich as other Gulf countries, but to feel that they would buy second rate weaponry would be surprising.

I am also keen to know the rationale behind statements that claim that INSAS is not good for CI. Why is what I would like to know to update my knowledge since while in the CI area including being in CASO, the troops and I never felt that the INSAS was not up to the mark in the CI environment.

If someone can educate me, I will surely be enlightened and grateful.

Last edited:

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Its all about Oman. We have to also keep in mind the economy of Oman before cross questioning the products for sale. Oman is not an very rich nation. and for its budget, Insas is very good.
For a small army like Oman's, it is of utmost necessity to opt for quality than cost.

BTW are you saying that a nation which has(can) opted(opt) for Challenger-2(which is one of the costly MBT is the world) will choose a sub-quality or relatively inferior rifle as standard issue Infantry Assault Rifle?

From poor, I didnt mean that it is a bankrupt nation but I meant that it that it has a weak economy compared to India. Do you agree to that?
I agree, if or if not Yusuf. Yes Oman has weak economy to India as well as small Army to equip with? Do you agree to that?

If Oman had shown interest in INSAS that means there is some reason that it has not opted for Western Rifles(i am actually not conformed that if Oman is having a same deal with other western nation or not).
Indeed there is a reason and that is 'intelligence' which enforces wise decisions. And this wiseness says "West is not always best and should not be the criteria for judging something".

It doesnt opted for TAVOR from its close neighbor Israel. What does that mean?
Oman did not opted for TAVOR because they know that it is mainly a special forces weapon and no one not even IDF presently uses TAVOR as standard issue IAR. And their decision shows that Omanis have good IQ and and they are intelligent enough to use it for the purpose.

Maybe there must be a strategical reason reason behind it, but not only Israel but many other European nation produces rifles that are better than INSAS then why only it opted for INSAS.
Western weapons are superior for one simple reason for what IMI Galil which in spite of being standard IAR of many armies is still not one of IDF. Do you know what this reason is? If yes, then you know why INSAS is not inferior in the sense that it perfectly accomplishes what it is required to do.

That is, Why Oman selected only INSAS and not any other better rifle.
What is the criteria on which you judge something better on other, high per unit cost, useless add-on feature and fancy brand name? BTW i select one on performance which fulfills my requirements and i give no importance to factors mentioned other than this.

In fact Indian Army is also in the process of moving to KALANTAR or TAVOR then why Oman wants only INSAS?Doesnt that show that Oman may not be able to arm its army with costly rifles?
Many countries have moved to and have made IMI Galil their standard IAR then why IDF opted for M-16 as their standard IAR? Doesn't that shows, why IDF was not able to arm itself with less costly, indigenous and equally better rifle and how western weapons are judged best?

Last edited:

BunBunCake

The problem here is, you didn't fire any OTHER guns. You'll tell the difference. Go fire the G-36, TAR, AUG and tell me the INSAS still is boss.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The problem here is, you didn't fire any OTHER guns. You'll tell the difference. Go fire the G-36, TAR, AUG and tell me the INSAS still is boss.
I fired TAR ( 50m range ) while on tour in J&K..
Same bang, same blow-back, difference is the shorter length better handling in Close combat situations..
Red dot instead of Iron sight..
though maintenance is same, and the range is same..

Compare to G36, Insas have a option for scope whereas G36 have inbuilt 1.5x scope..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Oman did not opted for TAVOR because they know that it is mainly a special forces weapon and no one not even IDF presently uses TAVOR as standard issue IAR. And their decision shows that Omanis have good IQ and and they are intelligent enough to use it for the purpose.
IDF is using it as their regular rifle only the reservist are using M-16, the problem is Tar-21 price is around 1100usd whereas Insas is just 450usd..
Why to buy such expensive weapon in mass where a cheaper one do the same job..

BunBunCake

I fired TAR ( 50m range ) while on tour in J&K..
Same bang, same blow-back, difference is the shorter length better handling in Close combat situations..
Red dot instead of Iron sight..
though maintenance is same, and the range is same..

Compare to G36, Insas have a option for scope whereas G36 have inbuilt 1.5x scope..
I personally never fired a TAR before, but have heard that does have a lot of recoil... but very good (yes, as you said at close range)

I did try a G36E though. It has a REALLY nice scope, decent recoil. One of the rangers told me it is a weapon built for all ranges... is that true?
It's really nice.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I cannot comment on TAR since I have not fired it.

However, on the bullpup design, some comments:

Bullpups, like a lot of things, are a good idea in concept, but not the "Rolls Royce of assault rifles" like I saw one very uninformed armchair general claim.

In my, and many others, soldiers and civilians, opinion, they are a pain in the butt and a good idea that just didn't work out the way that was expected. I personally hate the fact that all the weight is at the back...that's my main gripe, but then again, I've never been under fire, so I can't give a testimonial on changing bullpup rifle mags in combat.

Another thing that people will point out is that special ops units in nations that have a bullpup rifle as standard issue often opt for rifles with a traditional layout. Examples are the SAS, who usually go with the C8 (Canadian version of the M4) rather than the standard British SA80, or the Australian SASR, who also pass up their county's F88 Austeyr (a lot of people will also site France's GIGN as an example as they usually use the SIG551 or M4 rather than the FAMAS, but they are actually a gendarme, or paramilitary police force rather than straight up military). However, on the other hand, some top notch CT units actually use bullpup rifles. Examples of this are Austria's EKO Cobra (Steyr AUG), Portugal's GOE (Tavor), and the Israeli forces (although whether Met'kal will actually give up their CAR-15s is up for debate).

In conclusion, a lot probably comes down to preference, but overall, the gripes against the bullpups are pretty well documented by people who have tried it, and not just by a bunch of old timers who fear change.

and

Also if the bullpup design is so great why did the Chinese get rid of theirs in favor of a conventionally designed rifle. All of the countries I would trust as far as weapons are concerned (eg Russia and the United states) don't use it and I'm sure they know more about them than I do. Also in the case of Russia I believe they still use a version of the AK-74 and they have had atleast two bullpup designed rifles.

Bullpup Design

But since you have fired the weapon and since it is more of a size of a carbine with rifle characteristics including range maybe its good.

Thanks for the info.

Will check out the weapon at the first opportunity. Seems interesting.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Some details of retooling to 6.8

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles