Indian Defence Export potential compared to its neighbours

Discussion in 'Defence & Strategic Issues' started by Blitz, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Blitz

Blitz Founding Member

As we all know defence market is a big market and lots of hard cash flowing round in the coming decade the money will get bigger and bigger where is india placed in this market do you think, how much potential for export do we actually have ?
    what are the PR group doing on this todays world is more PR oriented than ever

china already as a big potential and is on the path , pakistan being a big customer , what countries could india look to export some of its products,does india have the capacity to export and provide service to indian needs at the same time?
    many questions pop up even pakistan now and then talks about exporting some of its stuff , we need to know more on what indian defence establishments are thinking , what private players are doing

waiting to hear all the views

3. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

Actually india has great potential already but sadly no one in the MoD is working overdrive to tap the potential.

All the targets are obviously third world/developing nations,

Let us start with the basics. Guns. Insas. Combat proven. Already sold to nepal. Under consideration by Oman.

Dhruv. Proven platform. Already in the indian forces and equador. Israel is impressed with it too. More latin american and other developing countries can be tapped.

Arjun. Chastised in india it is a potential winner for the DRDO in the international market. Other countries probably dont have "logistics" problems as IA and can adopt the tank.

8rahmos. Can be sold selectively to countries who wont pass on tech to china. Highly successful weapon system already in operation with indian forces.

Akash SAM, finally its cleared and can be sold to interested parties.

Nag, once ready is up there as an ATGM.

LCH, once ready will be a potential winner as its sibling is already a success.

The biggest of them all is the LCA Tejas. Will face direct competition from JF 17, but i think will beat it in international tender.

Rage likes this.
  4. Yusuf

Just forgot that india has its own weapon locating radar and also the proven rajendra radar.

5. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

PAK-FA will also be exported but the terms with the Russians are not known??

6. gogbot

gogbot Regular Member

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  7. Agantrope

Agantrope Senior Member Senior Member

Everyone forgotten as the most important scope of the export, ie the Brahmos. Crippled version of the brahmos cost around $1.5M. It is planned that 1000 brahmos that are to be sold to the friendly nations.

Reg Tejas Mk2 i would tell it is not a direct competitor for the gripen, It is better than tejas to tell. But for the given cost always tejas beats the gripen hands down. but i fear that if it is with the GE414, a limited scope export is possible.

INSAS also can provide some foreign currency from the african countries as it is cheap that other contemporary ARs.

Nag already obtained some foreign order. Aakash has been cleared for the foreign sale.

When the BMD is matued it can be also put forth for the sales to the countries like singapore and other small nations.

8. bengalraider

bengalraider DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

in a fast food joint next to the imperial shipyard
    Hate to be on the wrong foot here but who are we kidding! India a defence exporter i mean c'mon the OFB with it's bloated bureaucracy actually plans to export !sorry not happening until the DPSU's get their act together. once they do we have alot of smaller ticket items that can be more if not as profitable . i'm talking about BPV'S , grenades,bullets,shells etc. we can breakdown the potential for defence exports into three main points.

1)Sales- do we have a coordinated sales response like the russian rosoboronexport? do we know how to shock and awe the customer like the folks from EADS? can we go the extra mile to provide a potential customer with service and attention that makes him feel like a king? are our defence production czars actually prepared to make the sacrifices that are reuired to be better than the competition?the answer to all the above is NO! we have a DPSU setup that has a captive billion $ market in the Indian military, they are so used to this captive system that they simply in most cases do not see the need for exports, tell me why would you look for exports knowing well beforehand that you have already met your sales targets beforehand! you would not, it is human tendency to be complacent and the entire setup in these firms has become complacent.We need a new and energetic sales effort maybe based on the success of the ANTRIX corporation that is required before we can even think of selling anything.

Production-Do we have the spare capacity? can we maintain quality?can we maintain time shedules? the answer to all these questions is iffy! we have a massive and bloated Military-industrial setup that certainly can produce more than what is requiredie it has massive installed capacity, but the installed human capacity is lacking, we have seen the quality issues the IA has already faced with the INSAS,BPV's and numerous other items our domestic consumer forgives us oversights in quality as it has no choice to do anything otherwise, a foreign customer shall not be bound by similar obligations.We are lacking in installed capacity as far as big ticket items such as missiles and ships are concerned and i do not forsee any exports in these items until internal requirements can be satisfied.

Service-We were woefully slow to react in ecuador, we may not get the same chance again. Service is often the biggest challenge faced by established players like Lockheed and rosoboronexport when dealing with clients , each complaint has to be accorded importance and the client must be satisfied before any problem escalates to unmanageable levels.Service deadlines are more critical than delivery deadlines because in the latter the client does not have an inoperative plane sitting on the runway. we need to build a service team that is upto the task and back it up with solid unrelenting support(we had a great team in ecuador that did not get support from home). a strong enough sales and service netwrok can do wonders for exports and that i believe is where we should concentrate.

in closing i would like to state that when we do start exporting i forsee small ticket items such as Bullet-proof vests and hand-grenades becoming a far better selling item than the brahmos.

Singh and Rage like this.
  9. Yusuf

BR, the drdo and MoD has to take a leaf out of ISRO. The Antrix Corp is doing a fabulous job. Yes we have the bullets and stuff, but we also have all the other systems i mentioned that can be sold if the relevant authorities get their ac together.

10. anoop_mig25

anoop_mig25 Senior Member Senior Member

i would only say never to under-estimate our enemy