Indian Ballistic Missile Defense System

Aghore_King

Country flag
actually after Kargil war, when we were close to nuke war, it was decided to go for BMD, although Dr. Kalam had made presentation to Gujral and others, it was only when after Kargil that go ahead was given for BMD. All the known options were checked and non was found suitable for our condition.

So it was decided to have our own. PAD, AAD and now PDV is product of that. S300 was found unfit, still some units was taken for tests (no confirmation for that). Now that we have perfected PAD, AAD and we are going for Stage 2 of BMD (PDV looks like interim work, i posted details earlier).

Now they want to have long range SAM, with things what we have learn from our BMD. These will help us for SAM. May be some BMD capabilities, but mostly long range SAM.
It will be phenomenal....only USA and Rusiia have long range(> 250 km) SAMs...

Chinmoy

Country flag
View attachment 20516

Any idea whats she is talking about in first part?

My guess

View attachment 20517

As she is project director of BMD.

Anyone could help add more candidates for this.
Actually MKV work and few tests had been carried out by US which was later terminated (!). Now when she is saying it to be first of its kind in world, I am not sure whether she is talking of MKV or any other concept.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Actually MKV work and few tests had been carried out by US which was later terminated (!). Now when she is saying it to be first of its kind in world, I am not sure whether she is talking of MKV or any other concept.
I am aware about that...........................

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
If she is talking about France that is in reference to SAMP/T shooting down Scuds. I guess she is just talking about shooting down a ballistic missile.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
What about a hypersonic kill vehicle to tackle targets in boost or mid course phase???
Its all done before, its something which is so urgent that GOI has released funds for it. Remember in previous interviews she said, no funds to test BMD.

They have funds for S400, but dont have funds to allow them to test BMD, drdo work on shoe string budget.

Kchontha

Country flag
They have funds for S400, but dont have funds to allow them to test BMD, drdo work on shoe string budget.
S400 might involve kickbacks while desi BMD doesn't have. Besides india's R&D spending is pathetic as compare to its military and political neighbour like China. India spends only 0.85% of its GDP which amounts to 66.5 billion US $ whereas China is spending 2.1% of its GDP which is 409 billion US $ as of 2010.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Its all done before, its something which is so urgent that GOI has released funds for it. Remember in previous interviews she said, no funds to test BMD.

Not really. No one has tested Missile Defence at boost phase. US did considered it with multiple space based orbiting interceptor, but the missile defence act of 1999 prohibited anything like that.So now they are planning to do the same with DEW mounted on drones.

But for India, this is the most viable step and it is not the first time that it has been considered. This idea was there from long ago. With the range of missile which we are targeting in Phase I, we don't have to face challenges like that of US or Russia. We would be targeting missile with range of 2500 km max. So with a BMD shield coming up at Western front, we would get precious window of 120 to 150 seconds of detecting any launch and intercepting it at an altitude of 40 to 80 km and at a range of 150 to 200 kms.

Now this would be something which no one has ever tried.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles