Indian Automotive Sector

sky

Now I know why they are closing the UK plant. :laugh:
Get your fact's right first before you post. JLR is not closing any plant's in the uk,in fact there on about building a engine plant here for £750 million. I know cause i work there......

Blackwater

Get your fact's right first before you post. JLR is not closing any plant's in the uk,in fact there on about building a engine plant here for £750 million. I know cause i work there......

Look for another job you will be fired soon, you know TATA, they Don't like lazy UK workers lollllllllll

chex3009

Country flag
Maruti Suzuki plans to set up new plant in Gujarat

Maruti Suzuki plans to set up new plant in Gujarat

Maruti Suzuki is all set to finalise its new plant location and Gujarat has been one of the shortlisted areas under consideration. The company is looking at over Rs 6000 crore investments for phase-I to produce about a million cars annually. CNBC-TV18's Swati Khadelwal Jain reports more on the company's plans.

The top officials of Maruti Suzuki met the state government in Gujarat. They met the chief minister to discuss the possibility of picking up a land which could be of the size of 500 acres. This will be an investments of Rs 6000 crore to produce about 1 million cars annually for phase-I.

The company wants to look at the similar amount of money to be pumped in, so another Rs 6000 crore for another 500 acres will be required to produce a total of 2 million cars annually.

This is the kind of money that they are ready to put in to set up this new plan. They have been trying to shortlist two or three states, but Gujarat looks most probable at this point in time on account of its proximity to ports and several other things.

RC Bhargava, Chairman of Maruti Suzuki, after the meeting with the chief minister Narendra Modi, said that the firm hasn't taken any decision on the location or site to set up the plan.

Bhargava further added, "The attitude of chief minister and government of Gujarat has been very positive. Gujarat is certainly a very strong probability for our future selection for expansion."

Off late, there have been a lot of land issues related to the states like West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh. There has been labour unrest in states like Haryana and Tamil Nadu, and recent refund of VAT in Maharashtra. So, everything is mostly in favour of Gujarat at this point in time. We will have to wait for about three months before the plan finalises.

Report : CNBC

BangersAndMash

HMSI opens second two-wheeler plant

TAPUKARA (Rajasthan), June 1, 2011

Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India (Pvt.) Ltd. (HMSI) on Wednesday inaugurated its second two-wheeler plant in Tapukara Industrial Area. Initial capacity of the plant, built at a cost of Rs.460 crore, will be 6-lakh units annually, while its second phase will be completed by March next year with an additional investment of Rs.400 crore, which would take the plant's total installed capacity to 12-lakh units.

The new plant built near the Haryana-Rajasthan border, which is also close to the company's first plant at Manesar (Haryana), was inaugurated by Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot in the presence of Japan's Honda Motor Company President and CEO Takanobu Ito and Takashi Nagai, President and CEO, Honda Siel Cars India Ltd. and Honda Motor India Private. HMSI's Tapukara plant will employ around 3,200 people and manufacture scooter Activa and 110cc bike CB Twister.

HMSI, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Japan's Honda Motor Company, has already announced setting up of a third plant near Bangalore with an investment of about Rs.1,000 crore. This plant is likely to become operational by mid-2013 with an installed capacity of 12-lakh units annually.

"We are committed to India market and have already announced huge investments to build capacity and expand our presence.

"The expansion of Tapukara plant and setting up of a new plant in Bangalore will enable us to serve the vast Indian two-wheeler market more efficiently. By 2013, our total production will reach 40-lakh units"¦we will be able to meet needs of both urban and rural markets," HMSI President and CEO Keita Muramatsu said after the plant's inauguration.

Referring to HMSI's competition with the Honda Group's erstwhile joint venture partner Hero Honda, Mr. Muramatsu said they were not planning to match the latter's production.

"We will focus on improving our products and give improved service quality to become a market leader in India.

"I don't think we will be looking at matching the capacity of Hero Honda but what we are looking at is the growth of the market and we have already opened our second plant," he added.

According to HMSI Vice-President (Sales, Marketing and Corporate Affairs) N. K. Rattan, "To fulfil the diversifying needs of customers in the rapidly growing market of India, we are enhancing our product line up. This year we will introduce at least two new models. Increase in production capacity will reduce waiting period for our customers, while we are focussing on brining distinct product for urban and rural consumers.

"We are also focussing on increasing our reach, particularly in semi-urban and rural areas".

The Hindu : Business / Companies : HMSI opens second two-wheeler plant

chex3009

Country flag
Good news for all those who want Honda Activa in quick time, as earlier they had to wait for atleast 2 months before getting their hands on it.

Blackwater

very bad honda should open scoter plant in peacefull country like pak land

pmaitra

Tata Manza clocks an incredible mileage of 46.33 km per litre

Tata Manza clocks an incredible mileage of 46.33 km per litre to join Limca book of records

Narayanan Menon with his Tata Indigo Manza

The Tata Manza (Quadrajet Aura ABS) has clocked an incredible mileage of 46.33 km per litre. This feat has been achieved by Narayanan Menon, a resident of Coimbatore who has zoomed into the Limca Book of Records.

Narayanan R Menon, Managing Director of Aromen Engineering Company and a proud owner of the Tata Manza has been certified for the remarkable drive on the Coimbatore- Avinashi by-pass on 25th of May 2011. Menon's Tata Manza covered a long stretch of 72.3 kilometer on road by consuming only 1.58 liters of diesel, which translates to an incredible mileage of 46.33 km per litre.

A mechanical engineer, Menon himself does not credit an amazing mileage to a 'magic foot' rather a combination of good driving and car maintenance. For a country where fuel efficiency is a significant factor for automobile ownership and with fuel prices increasing, the feat certainly bodes well for the mileage conscious customer.

Source: Tata Manza clocks an incredible mileage of 46.33 km per litre to join Limca book of records | WheelsUnplugged

ganesh177

Country flag
hmmm i am already tempted for manza and now this news. :hail:
I wud be happy if i cud get even half of that though.

Tolaha

Finding it very difficult to believe and this is coming from someone who could never achieve anything more than 18 kms per litre of petrol in cars that I drived!

Maybe that fella drew it for 20 kms and then just pushed it all the way! :rolleyes:

sandeepdg

This is a bit hard to digest ! 46 kmpl is very high a mileage for a car of the size of Manza, I would only believe this if this can be certified by experts. I have known that a Ford Fiesta did give an incredible mileage of around 31 kmpl sometime back in a marathon Delhi-Mumbai rally for Ford Fiesta owners conducted by Ford themselves and I believe it, since I have used that car myself and it does give an incredible mileage.

Blackwater

This is a bit hard to digest ! 46 kmpl is very high a mileage for a car of the size of Manza, I would only believe this if this can be certified by experts. I have known that a Ford Fiesta did give an incredible mileage of around 31 kmpl sometime back in a marathon Delhi-Mumbai rally for Ford Fiesta owners conducted by Ford themselves and I believe it, since I have used that car myself and it does give an incredible mileage.
Finding it very difficult to believe and this is coming from someone who could never achieve anything more than 18 kms per litre of petrol in cars that I drived!

Maybe that fella drew it for 20 kms and then just pushed it all the way! :rolleyes:
hmmm i am already tempted for manza and now this news. :hail:
I wud be happy if i cud get even half of that though.

Hahahaha. TATA has nothing to do with this. Thanks to FIAT, who's Quadrajet engine is fitted in TATA INDICA AND MANZA. FIAT Quadrajet engine is also used in suzuki swift and SX4 and fiat linea and punto.

Yes it is possible with fiat Quadrajet engine in special circumstances to achieve that figure

Oracle

46.33 Kms per litre? I find it very hard to believe even if it was tested in an ideal environment.

ganesh177

Country flag
If its really recorded in limca records, then dont u think they wud had verified it themselves before rewarding it.
As for sources, its on yahoo and carwale as well, same article though.
Tata Manza Clocks An Incredible Mileage Of 46.33 Km Per Litre To Join Limca Book Of Records - Yahoo! Lifestyle India
Tata Manza clocks a mileage of 46.33 km per litre - CarWale News

The guy is mechanical engineer himself. May be he has done some tweeks and fine tuning in his car to achieve this feet. Anyways, he shud share it with rest in the interest of mankind. :namaste:

True or false, either way this will give a little boost for manza sales.
And hopefully GOI is not reading this, or they will use this excause for diesel price hike again.:becky:

Last edited:

Blackwater

If its really recorded in limca records, then dont u think they wud had verified it themselves before rewarding it.
As for sources, its on yahoo and carwale as well, same article though.
Tata Manza Clocks An Incredible Mileage Of 46.33 Km Per Litre To Join Limca Book Of Records - Yahoo! Lifestyle India
Tata Manza clocks a mileage of 46.33 km per litre - CarWale News

The guy is mechanical engineer himself. May be he has done some tweeks and fine tuning in his car to achieve this feet. Anyways, he shud share it with rest in the interest of mankind. :namaste:

Either way this will give a little boost for manza sales.
And hopefully GOI is not reading this, or they will use this excause for diesel price hike again.:becky:
This can be achieved by doing following

1) Fine tuned engine
2) Weight of the car
3) Tyre pressure
4) Clean and clear roads
5) High grade fuel
6) Constant speed 70 km/h
7) wind direction

sob

Mod
Country flag
I was really impressed with the Indigo Manza. The interiors are a big improvement over the earlier models. Coupled with the FIAT engine it sure looks to be a winner.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Proud owner! :humble:

But I dont have such record, figures just touch company claims :( Neverthless, I love my wheels.

Last edited:

Someoneforyou

India's Maruti loses $22 mln due to strike

India's Maruti loses $22 mln due to strike
India - 7 June 2011

India's largest passenger car maker Maruti Suzuki was Tuesday facing losses of at least $22 million, company sources said, as talks continued to end a strike at its factory in the north of the country.

The source said the walk-out at the Manesar plant in Haryana state, which began on Saturday, looked set to cost the Japanese-owned auto-maker one billion rupees in production losses by Tuesday night.

About 3,000 cars have not been manufactured since the start of the industrial action by a group workers demanding recognition of a new union.

Maruti chairman R.C. Bhargava said delivery of diesel cars being produced at the plant would be delayed, alongside some models for the export market.

One-fifth of the 350,000 cars produced each year by Maruti in Manesar are diesel models.

"The company has been taken by surprise by the strike," Bhargava admitted to the Bloomberg-UTV business news television channel, calling the walk-out illegal as no notice had been given to management.

Maruti has an existing union, which is recognised by the management.

Bhargava said 11 of its 2,000 employees at Manesar were sacked on Monday because they "created an atmosphere where safety of people was in danger".

"We hope they realise the futility of the course of their actions and arrive at a settlement," he added.

Maruti produces about 1,200 cars each day in two shifts at the production facility, mainly high-end mid-sized cars like the Swift Dzire and the SX4.

The strike comes as Maruti car sales grew by 1.9 percent year-on-year to 104,073 in May -- its slowest pace of growth in nearly three years -- as demand for cars in India moderates due to rising input costs and costlier auto loans.

Demand for diesel cars is on the rise in India, as petrol prices rise.

"We fear that labour unrest could spread to other regions if Maruti does not resolve matters swiftly," said Mahantesh Sabarad, an analyst with Mumbai's Fortune Equity Brokers.

Maruti shares fell more than two percent in early trade Tuesday to the day's low of 1,206 rupees on the Bombay Stock Exchange but recovered on bargain hunting to close at 1,245, up 1.06 percent.

Maruti has been expanding capacity at Manesar with plans to make up to 800,000 vehicles annually by the 2013-14 financial year.

Production at another factory at Gurgaon, also in Haryana state, is unaffected.

Labour problems have previously hit production of automobile makers such as Hyundai Motor India and Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India.

Source: AFP

Someoneforyou

Maruti strike continues, loss at Rs 270 crore
India - 9 June 2011

MANESAR/CHANDIGARH: The strike at Maruti Suzuki India's (MSI) plant is threatening to spread to Gurgaon-Manesar belt, with a panel of workers of various firms in the region warning of a similar stir if demands of their agitating colleagues' at India's largest carmaker are not met.

A concerned state government said authorities were trying their best to end the standoff between agitating workers and management, even as the Haryana Labour department said it could take three months to give nod to the new union of MSI workers at the Manesar plant.

"If the issues are not resolved immediately, then a similar strike can happen in other factories in the Gurgaon-Manesar industrial belt," AITUC Gurgaon District Secretary Harjeet Grover, who is also the General Secretary of HMSI Employees Union, told PTI.

He said a joint committee comprising representatives of all trade unions and various elected members from unions in different companies, including Hero Honda, Honda Motorcycle and Scooter India (HMSI) and Rico Auto, has been formed to support the MSI workers.

Reacting to the development, Haryana Industries Minister Randip Singh Surjewala expressed concern but insisted that authorities were trying their best to end the standoff between agitating workers and management.

"We are concerned that no industrial dispute takes place which has the capacity to hamper growth (of automobile industry)," he said.

"Labour department is examining the issue minutely and is in constant touch with the both the parties (workers and management) so that the dispute could be amicably settled," Surjewala said.

Over 1,000 workers from different firms in the Gurgaon -Manesar industrial belt gathered at the gate of MSI's Manesar plant today to stage 'satyagraha' supporting the strike.

Around 2,000 workers at MSI's plant here have been on strike since Saturday demanding recognition of a new union -- Maruti Suzuki Employees Union (MSEU) -- formed by those working at the Manesar plant, among other things.

Meanwhile, Haryana Labour Department said that it might take three months to give a nod to formation of the new union after following the due procedure and formalities' under Trade Union Act.

"As per our labour policy, union can be formed in three months after filing proper documentation and pursuing due procedure," a senior official of Labour department said.

Workers of Maruti Suzuki's Manesar plant had applied for forming a new union on June 3 with the Labour department.

On the sixth day of the strike, production loss touched 5,400 units at an estimated value of Rs 270 crore. MSI's scrips closed the day on the BSE at Rs 1,217.25 per share, down 0.72 per cent.

Source: Press Trust of India

sob

Mod
Country flag
India's Booming Car Exports

Link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-13735511

India's new face as Asia's car industry hub

The Panama-registered M V Modern Peak steams into the newly commissioned Ennore Port, just north of Chennai on India's south-eastern coast.It is a Korean freighter that has just arrived from Chittagong in Bangladesh, empty.

At the dock, rows of gleaming, brand new Nissan Micra cars are waiting to be loaded on board and shipped to Singapore."From there they'll go on to Lebanon, Israel and parts of north Africa," the ship's Korean captain says.

The cars may be a product of the Japanese giant auto maker but they are manufactured about 60kms away, at Nissan's Indian factory.Less than a year old, the sprawling 600-acre plant is one of the company's largest worldwide.At its high-tech assembly line, Indian workers work swiftly, putting together the latest models.

Nissan is among several major Asian companies that have set up manufacturing hubs in this area.

For years, it was the West that engaged with India.

The rest of Asia chose to ignore it - it was a country they did not really understand or want to do business with.

Now, because of its rapidly growing economy and increasing opportunities, India is home to sizeable numbers of Asians, especially Koreans and Japanese.

Since the 1990s the world has been beating a path to India but of late, its attention has turned east - there is a sense here that India's future is tied closely to Asia.It is a powerful new relationship that could well determine the course of the global economy.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles