Indian auto sector is 7th largest in world

Discussion in 'Economy & Infrastructure' started by Ray, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

While the Auto Industry flourishes, it is worth a check as to its effect on the economy, environment and whether the infrastructure is geared to take the load.

Unless more attention is paid to Urban Rapid Transport system and the infrastructure revamped, it might lead to serious issues.

Would that be correct?

3. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

As Indian auto sector is growing, we should also improve road infrastructure and pollution norms...

SPIEZ likes this.
  4. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

It's high time, we need good roads for the auto sector!

5. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I was in Mumbai and Pune recently.

I have been there earlier too.

I have never seen so slow a traffic as in Pune. The traffic literally crawled inspite of excellent flyovers and crossings!

6. Tshering22

Tshering22 Sikkimese Saber Senior Member

That is largely due to unruly drivers as well apart from infrastructure constraints. If people didn't drive in opposite lanes, gave indicators, didn't jump traffic lights etc half of this congestion would stop.
    Get the fines heavily on unruly drivers, incentivize a portion of the fines to the cops who dish it out, and then see how orderly our streets become and how bribery among traffic police reduces.

7. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Indian Auto Sector is flourishing but the credit also goes to exports. Ask Hyundai how much profit they are earning!

Driving in Pune is nightmare. I suffer it everyday. Haphazard development has led to all these problems. Kalmadi brought even worse problems to city. One of the largest IT parks in country has 2X2 narrow roads where people are stuck for hours daily.

---

Population outburst & disposable urban income is another worry. Every house has at least 1 four wheeler these days. Where they gonna drive ? And where they gonna park ?

New planned cities are needed which will help overcrowded cities to load-off its residents. I believe Delhi-Mumbai corridor has half-dozen such places planned.

It is also important not to lose pace of auto industry growth while incorporating these measures. Rajasthan has decided to give away Nano cars to families which will limit number of persons in their family. Many new schemes are needed to tackle the impending problems.

8. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

9. plugwater

plugwater Elite Member Elite Member

More flyovers do not solve any problem, it may only delay the overcrowd, but it will eventually happen at some point.

What we need is to improve the public transport. Metro for big cities and mono for small cities.

PMPML is the shittiest transport corporation.