Indian Army’s importance has diminished because of lack of wars in 40-50 years: Manohar Parrikar

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag
SOURCE: ZEE MEDIA

http://idrw.org/indian-armys-import...lack-of-wars-in-40-50-years-manohar-parrikar/

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar on Sunday said that Indian Army’s importance has gone down as it has not fought wars over the past 40-50 years, but was soon to clarify that he was not endorsing wars.

Parrikar made the comments at a conference on challenges and solutions regarding border safety issues in Jaipur.According to news reports, the Union Minister said that soldiers were facing ‘immense difficulties’ because ‘people’s respect for the Army has reduced during peacetime’.

“I have written to many chief ministers (over defence matters). Some have acted on it and at many places it (response) has ended. The primary reason for this is that we have not been to war for 40-50 years. I don’t mean to say that we should go to war. I mean to say that without war the Army’s importance has diminished.”

Apparently referring to the Army’s cross-border strikes in Myanmar following the killing of 18 soldiers in an ambush in Manipur, the minister said,” A recent incident has changed the national security scenario and there appears to be a change in the mindset of people.”

Parrikar said national security may be endangered due to internal disturbances, which could be a result of “internally or externally created problems.”

He said external issues could pose a threat to national security as happened during the Bangaladesh liberation war in 1971 when people from that country crossed into India to escape “genocide”.

“External issues could be problematic to a nation as it happened in Bangladesh in 1971 when people had started moving to India due to genocide. Danger to India by external factors … I am not going into details… But it is permutation and combination of various factors,” he said.

He identified cyber crime as a new challenge for defence forces.

“Cyber attack or cyber terrorism poses a threat to border security. Now this border is not imaginary, you do not know where it starts from. But it can, if it gets converted into warfare,” he said.

He, however, ruled out any security threat due to hacking of defence websites as all vital information was cloud-based and protected against such intrusion.

“Zero tolerance is the only solution when it comes to the security of the country. That has to be our mind set,” added Parrikar.

Parrikar termed counterfeit currency problem or “economic terrorism” as more dangerous than cyber attacks.

Apart from Parrikar, Junior Information and Broadcasting Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore, officers from the armed forces, local administration and representatives of local organisations were also present at the conference.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles