Indian Army officers attacked by Congo Army

neo29

Several Indian Army officers serving the United Nations here were beaten up and some of them grievously injured by Congolese soldiers yesterday, after the battle around the Ghana Embassy,

Major M.V. Gore, was taken out of his house at bayonet point by soldiers who made him lie on his belly on the road by Congolese troops who beat him severely with rifle butt. Major Gore is lying in the Indian Military Hospital, unable to walk.

Major M.S. Kathavaty, living with Major Gore was having his shave when Congolese soldiers dragged him out and hit him on the ear with rifle butt. He was treated at the hospital an discharged last night, but he is still hard of hearing.

Colonel Harmandar Singh, Commander of the Indian Contingent, was stopped at gunpoint and relieved of his car. Some of the Congolese soldiers had called at his house early in the morning and demanded the key of his car saying their Commander wanted the car. When Col. Harmandar Singh said he would like to speak to their Commander, the soldiers rattled their rifles and disappeared.

Half-an-hour later when Col. Singh was on his way to the UN Headquarters, these same soldiers stopped him with sub-machine guns 200 metres from his office, ordered him to get down and demanded the key. He surrendered the key.

idrw.org

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indian Mission In Congo Attacked, 3 Jawans killed, 6 Critical, 2 Indian Army Weapons Taken By Congo Cadres !

Today early morning the COB (company operating base) at Kirumba in North Kivu province in eastern Congo was approached by five innocent looking civilians at approximately. Indian army jawans, Hav Omkar Singh and NK Narender Kumar moved towards them to ascertain details. As Hav Omkar approached the civilians, he was attacked by one of the civilians with a spear and simultaneously other cadres, approximately 55 to 60 persons hiding in the nearby jungles, barged in to the post from all directions and attacked with machetes, spears, and other rudimentary weapons.

Indian troops reacted and got in hand to hand fight with the cadres, who fled on sensing the reaction, in the cover of darkness. Six Indian jawans are critically injured and are being treated at Level-1 hospital, three have been killed and two Indian army weapons have been taken away by the cadres.
http://chhindits.blogspot.com/2010/0...-attacked.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11010206

Next time its better to Blow their brains out!!

Oracle

R.I.P. fellow Countrymen!

Can UN peacekeeping missions not shoot back if they are fired upon or attacked? Are there no pre-emptive strike kinda' thing that our Soldiers can relate to, if they sense anything wrong?

pmaitra

With reference to post #1, which claims that Congo Army attacked Indian soldiers, I'd like to request everyone to keep an open mind to the possibility of rebels dressing up as soldiers and doing whatever they did.

R.I.P. to our brave jawans! Indian Army should hit back and hit back hard; so hard that it breaks the backbone of the rebels disabling them for a long long time. I think after this, IA should not wait for UN approval but carry out it's own missions. UN is becoming a piece of joke these days!

Very unfortunate news! :14:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Can UN peacekeeping missions not shoot back if they are fired upon or attacked? Are there no pre-emptive strike kinda' thing that our Soldiers can relate to, if they sense anything wrong?
Its always observe and report....

Btw, Without any orders, default rule is fire only when enemy fires, even if enemy is armed..

RIP!!

SHASH2K2

RIP to the dead soilders. Incidence like this shows that his peacekeeping force is not very effective in combating the situation. May be peacekeeping force is not in active duty of combating rebels. Wish they hit back hard at those rebels so that they never dream of attacking again.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I have always thought that "peacekeeping" missions are a load of bull. In violent places, the only way you can keep peace is with a bigger gun and an intent to use it whenever necessary. Observe and Report is for diplomats in peaceful places - soldiers should not be put into harms way in violent places and asked to "observe and report" only.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Yes, if they are deployed under Chapter 7.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
can anyone tell me what is the reason of sending these soldier's to congo in the name of UN peacekeeping force when there is all sort of violence in J&K,NE,MAOIST belt.can't a few of them be deputed here rather than getting killed
in far flung corners of the world without any worthwhile cause whatsoever.

SHASH2K2

can anyone tell me what is the reason of sending these soldier's to congo in the name of UN peacekeeping force when there is all sort of violence in J&K,NE,MAOIST belt.can't a few of them be deputed here rather than getting killed
in far flung corners of the world without any worthwhile cause whatsoever.
First of all we don't have lack of soldiers to tackle Internal problems. problem is lack of will.secondly we need to contribute to world peace and security. we need to be a responsible power which is aware of its duties and is ready to fulfill it .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles