Indian Army not to hire men with tattoos

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!

Jammu: The Indian Army will not recruit men with permanent tattoos anywhere on the body, save the arms. The Army says permanent tattoos are health hazard, as they can act as carriers for certain diseases.

It is enforcing the recent ban with firmness and young men with tattoos were turned away at several Army recruitment camps held recently at Akhnoor, 40 kilometers from Jammu. As many as 30% of those who came in had permanent tattoos, a senior officer who conducts recruitment said.

Brigadier Vinod Raizada, Deputy Director General, Recruiting, Jalandhar Cantonment, said, "We have instructions since November that any person with tattoos anywhere on the body, except for the arms, cannot be recruited in the Indian Army."

Many of those turned away say they were not aware of the new rule. "I had a tattoo inked four years ago; I had no knowledge of this rule," said Adrees Ahmad, a candidate at a recent Army camp.

Another aspirant, Munazar Hussain Shah said he always wanted to join the Army, but did not know of the ban on tattoos when he got one.

A tattoo shop owner in Jammu, Sunny, says he spends a lot of time trying to talk people who walk into his parlour, out of getting inked in places that clothing won't cover, but more needs to be done. "Clean and sterilised needles must be used. This is a good profession," he says in defense of his craft.

Not that the Army ruling has affected the tattoo business here. Young people continue to flock the many tattoo parlours that dot the city.

I dont see any logic in this. Whats the point in further trimming down the pool of recruits ?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I dont see any logic in this. Whats the point in further trimming down the pool of recruits ?
The USMC will take them. These days you can't be a Marine without a tattoo, I think.

Reactions: sob

indian_sukhoi

I Have a Om symbol on my arm near thumb ;P

I think the problem of the Army is not that Tattoos causes health hazard but they are in a belief that tattoo people are Indiscipline, arrogant or something like that. Just my Theory!!!

Although There are people who tattoos their body thinking its cool or for no reason at all.

The USMC will take them. These days you can't be a Marine without a tattoo, I think.
Thats true sir,.........US armed forces tattoo their body is Normal. They indicate which unit they belong to

Dont mind, Iam guessing even you have a Tattoo. Representing your Regiment?

indian_sukhoi

PS -
People think Tattooing is foreign but it isnt, Tattooing your body started way back in Ancient India. Were warriors and tribe people mark thier symbols and languages over them.

You can see indian women applying mehindhi during special occasions like weddings and Hindu festivals.

mehndi are important Vedic customs as a symbolic representation of the Outer and the Inner Sun. Vedic customs are meant to awaken the "inner light" and so the gold of the inner Sun has an important symbolic function.

Traditional mehndi designs draw the sun on the palm, which in this context represents the mind. Mehndi decorations became fashionable in the West in the late 1990s, where they are sometimes called henna tattoos
Mehndi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mehndi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
How illogical this rule is?? How can a tattoo subdue the zeal to kill the enemy?

It is butt evident that Solders and people who practice martial arts tend have interests such as tattoos, smoking drinking; yet they will be better fighters than any civilian at any given time.

Take example of US solders and European solders such as Marines, SAS or the Spetsnaz; they all have heavy tattoos and they are one of the best fighting machines on the planet.

Or is it that these recruits had tattoos with religious connotations such as a crescent??

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Thats true sir,.........US armed forces tattoo their body is Normal. They indicate which unit they belong to

Dont mind, Iam guessing even you have a Tattoo. Representing your Regiment?
It's a serpent on my left calf, got it at Tattoo Bob's on the waterfront in Copenhagen in 1966 for $12.00; not a regimental symbol, though. It still looks better than most new tattoos I see today. :)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
How illogical this rule is?? How can a tattoo subdue the zeal to kill the enemy?

It is butt evident that Solders and people who practice martial arts tend have interests such as tattoos, smoking drinking; yet they will be better fighters than any civilian at any given time.

Take example of US solders and European solders such as Marines, SAS or the Spetsnaz; they all have heavy tattoos and they are one of the best fighting machines on the planet.

Or is it that these recruits had tattoos with religious connotations such as a crescent??
In India, kids tattoo themselves for a different reason than kids in the West. What I have seen is, the tattoo crowd in India is generally those wannabe cool dude types. The "yo man, fuck man, yo dude" rapper kind of punks... hardly the kind who would make good soldiers. I know I am generalizing here - but in general, I don't think people should compare tattoos on Western kids to tattoos on Indian kids...

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Their were issue regarding medical / Health of the men..

Army is very strict in Medical selection..
So why allow on arms on not on other body parts ? If its a health issue then how are tattoos on arms not a health issue ?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
So why allow on arms on not on other body parts ? If its a health issue then how are tattoos on arms not a health issue ?
Coz that part is visible or it have something to do with medial issues..

cant say for sure why only arm..

indian_sukhoi

Thats the worse thing could happen.
Indian Armed Forces consist of variety of religious people with different background. In-Stability and egos between army personals would be last thing amry wants

Not just hard warriors but also Mafia gangs like Yakusa and Russian are known for their Tattoos.

Their were issue regarding medical / Health of the men..

Army is very strict in Medical selection..

I did came to know about that.

A candidate should have robust physique and good mental health. There should be no evidence of weak constitution, bodily defects or overweight.

Any disease of the skin, which is likely to cause disability or disfigurement, will also be a cause for rejection.

In India, kids tattoo themselves for a different reason than kids in the West. What I have seen is, the tattoo crowd in India is generally those wannabe cool dude types. The "yo man, fuck man, yo dude" rapper kind of punks... hardly the kind who would make good soldiers. I know I am generalizing here - but in general, I don't think people should compare tattoos on Western kids to tattoos on Indian kids...
lol,............I know those kind idiots a lot.
I know a guy who actually tattooed a large word "D" his GF name on his neck just to show off. After the break-up, now he doesn't know what to do with it. :frusty:

He did learned his mistake after all.

agentperry

well soldiers and officers can drink whole crate in a month, smoke as much as they want but not tatto because it may show that professionalism and seriousness is lacking in the force.
10 men are peeing the river with a dog also peeing in it BUT they will hold the dog responsible for filth

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I have the whole Hare Krishna mahamantra on my right upper arm, i however agree that the majority of people getting tattoos in india do it simply because of the "cool" factor however for a lot of us "inked" folk out there we have very deep reasons for the same.

niharjhatn

I have the whole Hare Krishna mahamantra on my right upper arm, i however agree that the majority of people getting tattoos in india do it simply because of the "cool" factor however for a lot of us "inked" folk out there we have very deep reasons for the same.
I wanted to get the whole scene before kurukshetra i.e. when Krshna was depicting his divine form to arjuna on my back. Stupid enough to ask mom first.

Her reply was somewhere along the lines off "...after I'm finished with you, you won't have enough skin on your back to get the tattoo on".

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I wanted to get the whole scene before kurukshetra i.e. when Krshna was depicting his divine form to arjuna on my back. Stupid enough to ask mom first.

Her reply was somewhere along the lines off "...after I'm finished with you, you won't have enough skin on your back to get the tattoo on".
The world needs more moms like yours!

niharjhatn

Most Indian Moms are like that even now my mom and grandmothers think I need the rolling pin treatment
The worst thing is that she has actually toned down the rhetoric since when I was in primary school.... and now I'm in my 20's :shocked:

Life ain't lookin too good right now

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Well there are villagers whose parents tattoo their name son their inner forearm, so that they don't get lost or kidnapped.

What happens to that?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles