Indian Army: News and Discussion

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Good news: I am an engineering guy. :)
Bad news: i am a mechanical engineering guy. :tsk:
Karo bhai kuch karo!!!!

Start an idea book. Observe the problems in daily life and try to invent solutions for those problems.

I used to keep such a book till my 9th standard. One of my ideas from those years even got built by a girl last year. Was so happy that across time and distance, invention was similar.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Karo bhai kuch karo!!!!

Start an idea book. Observe the problems in daily life and try to invent solutions for those problems.

I used to keep such a book till my 9th standard. One of my ideas from those years even got built by a girl last year. Was so happy that across time and distance, invention was similar.
I keep a great book of ideas in my head. But the older entries keep evaporating into nothing. Why?
eg:-
I realised that hypersonic vehicles will have a problem because of the high temperature that the air that comes in contact with the body of the vehicle creates. In normal aircraft, low temperature of surrounding air acts as a heat sink for engines, vital to their operation. I realised that with hot plasma around the hypersonic craft, we would need a new heat sink.
So I thought back to a project I tried to do a while earlier: A valvless pulsejet engine powered by LPG. One interesting factor was that the LPG was in liquid form in the tank and I had to inject vapour form in the combustion chamber. But when LPG changes phase from liquid to vapour, it absorbs an enormous amount of heat from the surroundings (which is the latent heat). Voila. I had the heat sink. A fuel like LPG which acts as a heat sink when it changes phase!
So I am happy and decide to google it right away. I type "endothermic fuels" in the search box.
Turns out many people have already come to the same conclusion and researched far ahead in that field.

Story of my life: all the ideas I have, someone has already had them before.
And to make it worse

THERE ARE NO GIRLS IN MECHANICAL BRANCH................
Yeah, rub it in why don't you.
Tu pakka computer science se hoga.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
I keep a great book of ideas in my head. But the older entries keep evaporating into nothing. Why?
I realised that hypersonic vehicles will have a problem because of the high temperature that the air that comes in contact with the body of the vehicle creates. In normal aircraft, low temperature of surrounding air acts as a heat sink for engines, vital to their operation. I realised that with hot plasma around the hypersonic craft, we would need a new heat sink.
So I thought back to a project I tried to do a while earlier: A valvless pulsejet engine powered by LPG. One interesting factor was that the LPG was in liquid form in the tank and I had to inject vapour form in the combustion chamber. But when LPG changes phase from liquid to vapour, it absorbs an enormous amount of heat from the surroundings (which is the latent heat). Voila. I had the heat sink. A fuel like LPG which acts as a heat sink when it changes phase!
So I am happy and decide to google it right away. I type "endothermic fuels" in the search box.
Turns out many people have already come to the same conclusion and researched far ahead in that field.

Yes
But I was from cs
Now I am a dropout...............

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Let's move this discussion to chit chat thread.

No point in derailing this one.

tejas warrior

Country flag
Maruti's Gypsy on its way out; Tata Safari to be new Army vehicle

NEW DELHI: The Army will replace its iconicMaruti Gypsy fleet with a new range of SUVs, having selected the Tata Safari Storme for an initial order of close to 3,200 vehicles, which could increase 10-fold in the coming years.

While an official announcement is yet to be made, ET has learnt that Tata Motors beat off the Mahindra Group, which fielded its Scorpio SUV for the competition that kicked off in 2013. Both locally developed SUVs passed rigorous technical trials by the army, which tested the vehicles in all conditions – from high-altitude, snow-bound regions to deserts and marshy land.

However, the Tata Group appears to have presented a better financial deal to the army, which has sought to replace its fleet of Gypsyvehicles that are used extensively at the battalion level to transport troops and officers.

The army has over 30,000 Maruti Gypsyvehicles in service and will progressively replace them starting next year. “The initial order is for 3,198 new SUVs but the total number is likely to go much beyond that. The army prefers a single model across its units and formations as it is easier on logistics,” an official involved in the process told ET.

While the Gypsy has been an army favourite for its ability to navigate tough terrain, the need was felt for a new SUV with additional safety features and more power that runs on diesel, a fuel that’s more readily available, given its large fleet of trucks and heavy-duty vehicles.

Once signed, this will be the second major order for Tata Motors this year, having bagged a Rs 1,300 crore deal in January to supply high-mobility military trucks for the army. The 6x6 high-mobility vehicles can be used for various purposes – from transporting men and material to being the platform for multi-barrel rocket launchers and surface-to-air missile systems.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Maruti's Gypsy on its way out; Tata Safari to be new Army vehicle

NEW DELHI: The Army will replace its iconicMaruti Gypsy fleet with a new range of SUVs, having selected the Tata Safari Storme for an initial order of close to 3,200 vehicles, which could increase 10-fold in the coming years.

While an official announcement is yet to be made, ET has learnt that Tata Motors beat off the Mahindra Group, which fielded its Scorpio SUV for the competition that kicked off in 2013. Both locally developed SUVs passed rigorous technical trials by the army, which tested the vehicles in all conditions – from high-altitude, snow-bound regions to deserts and marshy land.

However, the Tata Group appears to have presented a better financial deal to the army, which has sought to replace its fleet of Gypsyvehicles that are used extensively at the battalion level to transport troops and officers.

The army has over 30,000 Maruti Gypsyvehicles in service and will progressively replace them starting next year. “The initial order is for 3,198 new SUVs but the total number is likely to go much beyond that. The army prefers a single model across its units and formations as it is easier on logistics,” an official involved in the process told ET.

While the Gypsy has been an army favourite for its ability to navigate tough terrain, the need was felt for a new SUV with additional safety features and more power that runs on diesel, a fuel that’s more readily available, given its large fleet of trucks and heavy-duty vehicles.

Once signed, this will be the second major order for Tata Motors this year, having bagged a Rs 1,300 crore deal in January to supply high-mobility military trucks for the army. The 6x6 high-mobility vehicles can be used for various purposes – from transporting men and material to being the platform for multi-barrel rocket launchers and surface-to-air missile systems.
But, 4500 new gypsy were ordered last year. Safari can definitely not be a replacement for gypsy. i doubt safari can beat gypsy in the desert sands because of the weight.

tejas warrior

Country flag
But, 4500 new gypsy were ordered last year. Safari can definitely not be a replacement for gypsy. i doubt safari can beat gypsy in the desert sands because of the weight.
I can't answer your question, but it's not weight but pressure matters on desert.. similar to Arjun & T90 story.

Prashant12

Country flag
Now, India to make Carl-Gustaf guns

The pact was signed with Sweden’s defence and security major, Saab.

Carl-Gustaf guns have a forty-year-long presence in India, and they are assembled in the Indian ordnance factories.
New Delhi: India will make an advanced and the fourth version of the Carl-Gustaf rocket after a pact with Saab under the Make in India initiative.

It were the same Carl-Gustaf rocket launchers that wreaked havoc on the Pakistan-supported militant camps across the Line of Control during Indian special forces’ surgical blitzkrieg on the September-28 night.

Sweden’s defence and security major, Saab, is the original maker of the deadly multi-purpose gun, the latest version of which was launched in 2014.

“The earlier versions of the gun have proved their worth to Indian forces on innumerable occasions. For any tactical strike team, the new advanced version will be an immense force multiplier,” said a defence official with adequate operational knowledge of the weapon. “This latest version will be more user-friendly. Possibly, they may have worked on the sighting system and increased the range,” the official added, requesting anonymity.

While the numbers or any other detail was not available — with less than 7kg weight, it is much lighter than the earlier versions because of the use of titanium — the latest version is equipped with intelligent features such as “compatibility with future innovations like the intelligent-sighting system and programmable ammunition”.

A release by Saab, without identifying the customer, said: “Saab has signed a contract for deliveries of the new Carl-Gustaf M4 multi-role weapon system. This is the company’s fourth customer for the system since its launch in late 2014. Deliveries will take place during 2017”.

Carl-Gustaf guns have a forty-year-long presence in India, and they are assembled in the Indian ordnance factories. While the Carl-Gustaf M2 weapons system was made in India after a pact with Saab in 1976, the pact for the M3 version was signed in 2005.

A big advantage is that since India already makes the M2 and M3 versions of the gun in its ordnance factories, and to make the latest version would just require an upgrade of these facilities.

http://www.asianage.com/india/all-india/101216/now-india-to-make-carl-gustaf-guns.html

Adioz

Carl-Gustaf guns have a forty-year-long presence in India, and they are assembled in the Indian ordnance factories.
New Delhi: India will make an advanced and the fourth version of the Carl-Gustaf rocket after a pact with Saab under the Make in India initiative.

It were the same Carl-Gustaf rocket launchers that wreaked havoc on the Pakistan-supported militant camps across the Line of Control during Indian special forces’ surgical blitzkrieg on the September-28 night.

Sweden’s defence and security major, Saab, is the original maker of the deadly multi-purpose gun, the latest version of which was launched in 2014.

“The earlier versions of the gun have proved their worth to Indian forces on innumerable occasions. For any tactical strike team, the new advanced version will be an immense force multiplier,” said a defence official with adequate operational knowledge of the weapon. “This latest version will be more user-friendly. Possibly, they may have worked on the sighting system and increased the range,” the official added, requesting anonymity.

While the numbers or any other detail was not available — with less than 7kg weight, it is much lighter than the earlier versions because of the use of titanium — the latest version is equipped with intelligent features such as “compatibility with future innovations like the intelligent-sighting system and programmable ammunition”.

A release by Saab, without identifying the customer, said: “Saab has signed a contract for deliveries of the new Carl-Gustaf M4 multi-role weapon system. This is the company’s fourth customer for the system since its launch in late 2014. Deliveries will take place during 2017”.

Carl-Gustaf guns have a forty-year-long presence in India, and they are assembled in the Indian ordnance factories. While the Carl-Gustaf M2 weapons system was made in India after a pact with Saab in 1976, the pact for the M3 version was signed in 2005.

A big advantage is that since India already makes the M2 and M3 versions of the gun in its ordnance factories, and to make the latest version would just require an upgrade of these facilities.

http://www.asianage.com/india/all-india/101216/now-india-to-make-carl-gustaf-guns.html

OFB RCL Mk 2
  • Weight: 14.2 kg
  • Rounds Per Minute: 6
  • Length: 1.13 m

OFB RCL Mk 3
  • Weight: 10 kg
  • Length: 1.065 m

Carl gustaf M4
  • Weight: 6.6kg
  • Length: 0.95 m

M4 improvements over RCL Mk3:-
  • New venturi design
  • Travel safety catch to allow the M4 to be carried while loaded.
  • Improved ergonomics
  • Shot counter to track barrel life (1000 rounds)
  • Picatinny rails
  • Remote round management function so intelligent sights can "talk" to programmable rounds.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Somehow I doubt this, usually our guys are not the types to keep quiet about new deals.

sthf

Country flag
Somehow I doubt this, usually our guys are not the types to keep quiet about new deals.
Carl Gustaf is a huge success story as far as IA is concerned. The upgradation from M2 to M3 was equally silent. Also, since this is an upgradation of an already inducted system, the news being buried under the Rafales or the S400 is hardly surprising.

Adioz

Why is COAS traditionally from the Infantry?

Also, why this fiasco over service chief selections?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
This should be interesting, There is a RFP for camera that can be mounted on dogs...
PROCUREMENT OF CAMERA SYSTEM FOR DOGS CONSISTING OF WIRELESS OPTICAL IMAGE INTENSIFIERS AND RECORDING SYSTEMS MOUNTED ON DOGS FOR CORDON AND SEARCH OPERATION TRG AT DTF OF RVC CENTRE AND COLLEGE MEERUT CANTT

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
http://www.newindianexpress.com/nat...-kumari-commits-suicide-in-jammu-1549745.html

JAMMU: Indian Army Major Anita Kumari, 36, allegedly committed suicide by shooting herself with her service pistol, police said here on Friday.

Prima facie she shot herself on the intervening night of December 14-15.

The officer did not come to the unit and no one was aware about her whereabouts till her neighbours broke the door.

"Kumari belonged to Chamba area in Himachel Pradesh and posted in 259 field supply depot here," police said.

PS: Fucking Bureaucracy in Army could be the cause of this. Well details awaited.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Thats sad..........................................................................

but i do not expect army officers to be mentally weak

Shashank Sharma

Guys! Stop thinking that she was weak! Don't assume stuff about her! Who knows what kinds of pressures she was coping from.
Military people are just human, after all!

sthf

Country flag
What the actual fuck is going on.

Over the past few years, the armed forces have arrested the suicide frequency by a lot but still these kinds of incidents are happening.

As for the "she was weak" crowd, let the investigation complete before you make further moronic assumptions.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles