Indian Army Looking for New Assualt Rifle!!!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The army has been using the indigenous 5.56mm×45mm. Indian National Small Arms System (Insas) rifle since the late 1990s, but troops have complained related to the weapons low calibre and poor reliability.

Any links to substantiate that statement?

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
The possible reason for going new rifle may be that GOI want to equip its forces with better rifle as soon as possible. FINSAS would be available on 2012 and it may take 2-3 years to fully equip forces with new gun, hence they are buying these guns from market.
This MSMC is not from any outside market, it is designed and developed completely by DRDO.

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
The army has been using the indigenous 5.56mm×45mm. Indian National Small Arms System (Insas) rifle since the late 1990s, but troops have complained related to the weapons low calibre and poor reliability.
Issues with Insas were only till 2005-06, but after that those complains have been overcome by DRDO and currently is a very good rifle compared to M-16 but since it is going old thats why it has to be replaced.

pmaitra

According to a close 'friend' who works at RFI:

The Indian Army is planning to hold comparative trials between the Tavor and Kalantak and the employees at RFI are under intense pressure to produce the evaluation versions so that they can beat the Tavor and win contracts.

I do believe indigenous weapons can be as good as, and even better than foreign products.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I do believe indigenous weapons can be as good as, and even better than foreign products.
..............provided all concerned are sincere and love their Nation!

There are too many who love themselves instead!!

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
pmaitra said:
The Indian Army is planning to hold comparative trials between the Tavor and Kalantak and the employees at RFI are under intense pressure to produce the evaluation versions so that they can beat the Tavor and win contracts.

Could you post some pics of the Kalantak? All I found were few broken links on BR

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
..............provided all concerned are sincere and love their Nation!

There are too many who love themselves instead!!
Dont worry Sir. There are still many who still love their Bharat Maa and due to which, still no evil deed had been able to break our nation and also will not be able to do that in future too (it cant atleast till i`m alive).

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Last edited:

Logan

Country flag

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
These are good looking rifles, sub-machine guns, etc... What happened? Because INSAS is garbage...

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
it is such a shame that we cannot even make a decent rifle on our own. what a lame!!! Even Insas is a copy of fn-fal.

if we want to make firearms on our own, then private industries should step in defense sector. why USA makes lots and lots of different variety of rifles? Because of private industries from all the way from colt to Remington. in usa there are around 150+ private companies ready to supply good fire arms to military. so usa army always gets the best fire arms possible.

look at us, we have only 2 or 3 institutions who works on fire arms such as ARDE and indian ordinance factory

few other reasons why we can't make rifles on own.

- corrupt politicians
- Not enough R&D in small arms
- lack of proper TOP management in defense sector
- unwillingness of private industries to participate in defense sector - thanks to corrupt ministry.

LOL
BRO
Agreed ! - with your comments and many others who wrote similarly
only good thing is at least they are facing the fact and swallowing their pride to admit it - rather than as in the 60's - made the soldier face the war with outdated junk !
for admitting it and doing the best in the circumstances - i give them credit for that !!

Last edited:

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
These are good looking rifles, sub-machine guns, etc... What happened? Because INSAS is garbage...
Hey keep in mind that Insas was never a garbage. You`ll find that when you experience Insas yourself. Dont go on its looks(which are not very attractive) but on its performance.

Now the need for these new rifles, developed indigenously, had occured not because Insas is a garbage (or else army wouldnt have used it for a decade) but because now army want a more modern weapon system than Insas until the new modular weapon system ,under F-INSAS , is being developed.

People note here that out of these new displayed rifles ,i.e., Kalantak, Exacalibur, Amogh, MSMC, only Kalantak and MSMC had been approved for the army use and will carry further trials. Rest have been rejected and are now being improved under DRDO.

Last edited:

pmaitra

BRO
Agreed ! - with your comments and many others who wrote similarly
only good thing is at least they are facing the fact and swallowing their pride to admit it - rather than as in the 60's - made the soldier face the war with outdated junk !
for admitting it and doing the best in the circumstances - i give them credit for that !!
You are talking about the SMLE right?

Outdated? Yes.
Junk? Absolutely not.

SMLEs are arguably the best and fastest operable bolt actions rifles ever made.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles